Portsmouth to Bilbao help please

AndyLou

My wife has decided she would like to visit some friends who moved to Spain this year.

I have just looked at the return price of the ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao and it is approx. £1100.

In the past I have seen people offering the use of their ferry discount codes.

If any kind people are reading this and would like to help please email or direct message me.

Andrew@totton-llewellyns.co.uk

TIA

Joining the Brittany Ferries “Club Voyage Spain” scheme would currently cost £230 (Registration fee £105 + Annual membership fee £125)

Details are here

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/club-voyage-travel-club/spain

and I notice the following statement

"Brittany Ferries can no longer offer associate membership status on Club Voyage memberships. We are sorry for any inconvenience."

Derek Uzzell - 2019-01-08 9:11 AM

"Brittany Ferries can no longer offer associate membership status on Club Voyage memberships. We are sorry for any inconvenience."

I expect they had a lot of complaints when they introduced it from existing club members as it really amounts to offering membership at half price when 2 join together.

Associate membership is not a discount code. However I agree that taking out BF membership is well worth it.

Mike88 - 2019-01-08 10:12 AM

Associate membership is not a discount code. However I agree that taking out BF membership is well worth it.

A full member of the Brittany Ferries “Club Voyage” scheme used to be able to designate another person as an ‘associate’ member. This allowed the associate member the same benefits as the full member and the cost of the designation procedure was relatively low. According to this bfenthusiasts forum discussion, in 2012 the cost of designating someone as an associate member was just £30.

https://bfenthusiasts.com/bfe/topic/7969-associate-member-pays-less-than-member-of-club-voyage/

Brittany Ferries’s discount codes and associate membership have been discussed here in the past

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Brittany-Ferries-Club-Voyage-query/47917/

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Brittany-Ferries-Cheaper-Fares-associate-member/30139/

I don’t know if anybody who has asked on this forum about Brittany Ferries’s discount codes was ever offered associate membership (which could have resulted in significant cost-savings) but it’s apparently no longer an option.

Derek Uzzell - 2019-01-08 10:58 AM

Mike88 - 2019-01-08 10:12 AM

A full member of the Brittany Ferries “Club Voyage” scheme used to be able to designate another person as an ‘associate’ member. This allowed the associate member the same benefits as the full member and the cost of the designation procedure was relatively low. According to this bfenthusiasts forum discussion, in 2012 the cost of designating someone as an associate member was just £30.

https://bfenthusiasts.com/bfe/topic/7969-associate-member-pays-less-than-member-of-club-voyage/

Brittany Ferries’s discount codes and associate membership have been discussed here in the past

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Brittany-Ferries-Club-Voyage-query/47917/

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Brittany-Ferries-Cheaper-Fares-associate-member/30139/

I don’t know if anybody who has asked on this forum about Brittany Ferries’s discount codes was ever offered associate membership (which could have resulted in significant cost-savings) but it’s apparently no longer an option.

My point was that the original poster asked for a discount code. Associate membership was not mentioned in the original post and is a red herring as it no longer is an available option

I fully accept that Andy&Lou’s original posting asked only about Brittany Ferries discount codes, but the possibility has been discussed here in the past of a forum-member who is also a full member of BF’s Club Voyage scheme agreeing to offer ‘associate membership’ (instead of just a 'Friends & Family code) that would potentially provide a higher fare discount.

I’ve been a Club Voyage member for quite a few years and, as I wasn’t aware (probably because it’s of no personal interest to me) that BF had recently altered their long-standing associate member option, I thought it worth mentioning. If you think that doing this was somehow ‘wrong’, that’s too bad as far as I’m concerned.

For any O&AL forum participants who might have the remotest interest in BF’s cessation of the associate membership option, it’s discussed in more detail in this UKcampsite forum-thread

https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=7&TopicID=351559&PagePosition=1

any particular reason for sailing to Bilbao? where in Spain are they?

we crossed this morning Poole-Cherbourg for £140 and have just driven to the South of Nantes for a stop over (free) and will get to Irun tomorrow....not that far from Bilbao...

.and then up and over the plain and down to Valencia for a first site stop prior to a longer explore...

the roads are so good (and toll free to here, and from Irun to Valencia) why would I think about the

long crossing...?.

Derek Uzzell - 2019-01-08 6:03 PM

I fully accept that Andy&Lou’s original posting asked only about Brittany Ferries discount codes, but the possibility has been discussed here in the past of a forum-member who is also a full member of BF’s Club Voyage scheme agreeing to offer ‘associate membership’ (instead of just a 'Friends & Family code) that would potentially provide a higher fare discount.

I’ve been a Club Voyage member for quite a few years and, as I wasn’t aware (probably because it’s of no personal interest to me) that BF had recently altered their long-standing associate member option, I thought it worth mentioning. If you think that doing this was somehow ‘wrong’, that’s too bad as far as I’m concerned.

For any O&AL forum participants who might have the remotest interest in BF’s cessation of the associate membership option, it’s discussed in more detail in this UKcampsite forum-thread

https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=7&TopicID=351559&PagePosition=1

Derek. Of course it wasn't wrong of you to mention it but I thought the term "associate membership" and the posts mentioning it might confuse the original poster to believing discount codes were no longer available and secondly divert the forum away from the original poster's request for a discount code. There must be very many members on here who have BF membership and be in a position to offer a discount code as the original poster requested.

Clearly you have taken offence but that wasn't the intention as I was merely trying to get the original poster's request answered and not diverted on to a completely separate matter.

Derek Uzzell - 2019-01-08 9:11 AM

I notice the following statement

But associate membership is not the discount code he asked for and not available anymore as you state

If comments relating to enquiries on this forum applied absolutely specifically to the enquiry, forum threads would be a helluva lot shorter!

You’ve said above

"That would only give 10% off the ferry price not cabins If you joined the scheme you'd get 30% maybe worth joining”

I don’t know how you expected Andy&Lou to know what “the scheme” might be (as it had not been mentioned in the enquiry) which is why my follow-up posting provided a link to details of Brittany Ferries’s “Club Voyage Spain” scheme and the costs involved in joining it. My comment that I had noticed BF no longer offered ‘associate membership’ was just a throw-away observation and it never crossed my mind that Andy&Lou might equate BF’s associate membership option to the discount code.

Whether Andy&Lou would benefit financially from joining the Club Voyage Spain scheme (rather than from the discount code) would depend on their future plans and what the make-up is of the approximately £1100 cost of their Portsmouth-Bilbao return fare.

Let’s assume the £1100 comprises £200 for onboard overnight accommodation and £900 for the rest.

Discounts are not applied to overnight accommodation, so using a 10% discount code would knock £90 off the £900, reducing the overall cost to £1010. (And, of course, the Club Voyage Spain scheme-member who provided the 10% discount code would receive a £10 credit).

A 30% discount would knock £270 off the £900 figure, reducing the overall cost to £830 - which would be great if Andy&Lou were already Club Voyage Spain members. However, joining the Club Voyage Spain scheme would cost Andy&Lou £230, which would bump the £830 up to £1060. Then again, the extra £50 (£1060-£1010) could be offset by the breakfast allowances and 10% restaurant discount.

If Andy&Lou planned to travel with Brittany Ferries to Spain again in the next 12 months, joining the Club Voyage Spain scheme would definitely make good sense. It might even make sense to join if trips to France with BF were envisaged, as Club Voyage Spain membership offers 15% discount on the France routes. But for a one-off Portsmouth-Bilbao £1100 return trip with a motorhome, a little arithmetic will be needed to decide if joining Club Voyage Spain would be the best way to go.

I don’t know how you expected Andy&Lou to know what “the scheme” might be

Surely if capable of posting on here they could manage a search for Brittany Ferries Discount on their site. and then see for themselves without Your usual long winded confusing explanation's

witzend - 2019-01-09 10:57 AM

I don’t know how you expected Andy&Lou to know what “the scheme” might be

Surely if capable of posting on here they could manage a search for Brittany Ferries Discount on their site. and then see for themselves without Your usual long winded confusing explanation's

That is an offensive thing to say and you should be ashamed of yourself. Your intervention in this thread has been small-minded and unhelpful, please behave better or go away.

I realise that this post is off topic but I too would be sorry to see Derek Uzzell leave the forum. There are several people on this forum who give good advice, information and good references, Derek is one of them.

With apologies to Any& Lou.

Cattwg :-D

Archived