Portuguese Electronic Tolls - Renewal of Registration

StuartO

Last time we toured in Portugal we registered for electronic tolls as we entered the system at a drive-through lane on the first Service Area. All went well but can I carry on where I left off?

www.portugesetolls.com has an English Language option and seems to be pretty clear. It has confirmed that my “Identifier” and vehicle registration number are still stored, so on the face of it I can just drive on, even though I registered with the system iway back n Autumn 2017. My credit card has since expired but it was renewed with the same long number so that should work too, except perhaps that the system won’t know my new expiry date or the three digit number on the back, both of which have changed. There doesn’t seem to be an option on the website to refresh the CC data.

Has anyone experienced use of the toll system after a longish delay of this sort and did you have any problems? This trip we will be entering Portugal further South and will therefore miss the Service Areas and Border points where you can re-register, so I’m trying to get all my duck in a row for entering the motorway system from a direction where there are no registration points.

We didn't register our card but have a account which we top up on line.bought first card at PO €10 which we registered to our Vehicle reg and mobile phone They send us a text when money runs out and we just top up on line. Any money left on system expires after 12 months of none use

Stuart, I think the answer is no. We used the Easytoll in Portugal (which I think you are referring to) last September, and I have just dug out the receipt document which the machine gives you. Just above the Identifier reference code, it states that the validity of the Easytoll is for one month. This is no surprise as it it designed for tourists.

In addition I think that the fact your credit card has been updated would also be a problem. Stored credit card details record expiry dates, and unless the change has been very recent, because banks run old and new for a short while to pick up outstanding transactions, its likely that your card would be declined.

If you want further clarification ring Easytoll on 00351 2128 79 555. You will get someone who speaks English.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Laurence - 2019-02-26 9:07 AM ..... I have just dug out the receipt document which the machine gives you. Just above the Identifier reference code, it states that the validity of the Easytoll is for one month. ...If you want further clarification ring Easytoll on 00351 2128 79 555. You will get someone who speaks English. Hope this helps. Regards

Helpful, thank you. I did spot the “validity” date on my Receipt from 2017 and I suspect you are right. It is however strange that while the website still stores my detail, including the detailed history of my 2017 payments, there is no provision for on line renewal. It looks like I will either need to adjust my route in order to re-register or switch to the pre-payment system.

I know, it is a pain. I am surprised that the Portuguese only offer four points of entry for the Easytoll, so not all major routes into the country are covered. We came in to Braganza and had to make a detour to get to the Easytoll.

The other thing I found confusing is that the Portugal toll website gives the impression that all toll roads in the country are electronic. Not so. We found that the top half of the country is electronic, and the A22 at the bottom is, but there is a great swathe in the lower middle that has conventional manned toll booths. The first time i got to one of these i waved my Easytoll receipt at the man as I thought I would be paying twice. However, he just laughed - pay up!

Regards,

Well, I'm confused about these electronic/manual tolls. I'm just 150km from the Portuguese border, will be there tomorrow. I have just bought a Bip&drive from APRR, valid for ViaT. But my son has just told me that we're better off with the electronic card that you get at the border. So, if I get such a card, will I be charged double? I'm not even sure that the Bip&Drive tag will work yet, I haven't had chance to use it yet.

Hi Geoffrey, if it was me, I would stick with the b&p. The toll cards are pre-paid set amounts and you have to guess how much you will need, or keep buying at intervals to top up. If you over-estimate, you waste money.

I think the b&p will work much the same as the Easytoll - on the electronic toll routes it will all be automatic, but on the manual toll routes it probably will not work, and you just pay cash. However, the manual tolls might have a Via-T lane (which Easytoll cannot use) so just look out for it.

Either way, I don't think that there is any chance that you will pay double. Perhaps I wasn't clear in my last post - I didn't pay double because the Easytoll does not work on manual tolls. You will either have a Via-T lane or just pay cash.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Laurence - 2019-02-26 8:36 PMHi Geoffrey, if it was me, I would stick with the b&p. The toll cards are pre-paid set amounts and you have to guess how much you will need, or keep buying at intervals to top up. If you over-estimate, you waste money. I think the b&p will work much the same as the Easytoll - on the electronic toll routes it will all be automatic, but on the manual toll routes it probably will not work, and you just pay cash. However, the manual tolls might have a Via-T lane (which Easytoll cannot use) so just look out for it.Either way, I don't think that there is any chance that you will pay double. Perhaps I wasn't clear in my last post - I didn't pay double because the Easytoll does not work on manual tolls. You will either have a Via-T lane or just pay cash.Hope this helps,Regards,

It does too. It does seem a little complex, I'll just drive through the lane and hope all is OK. I guess I could stop and ask, though. Thanks

Be prepared for a little anxiety when using the Bip&Drive at the Via-Verde lanes because the tag remains silent and doesn't give a reassuring 'beep' like it does in Spain (or like a Liber-t tag does in France), so you have no confirmation that your tag has been read and recognised.

When you drive through second and subsequent Via-Verde lanes slowly enough (well under the permissible 60kmh) though you will, however, see a confirmation of the fee just paid on a small screen just past the traffic light. Drive through at 60kmh though and you'll be long gone before the screen displays anything.

Conversely the B&D tag will beep though when passing beneath the electronic tolls' overhead gantries.

Steve928 - 2019-02-27 11:53 AMBe prepared for a little anxiety when using the Bip&Drive at the Via-Verde lanes because the tag remains silent and doesn't give a reassuring 'beep' like it does in Spain (or like a Liber-t tag does in France), so you have no confirmation that your tag has been read and recognised.When you drive through second and subsequent Via-Verde lanes slowly enough (well under the permissible 60kmh) though you will, however, see a confirmation of the fee just paid on a small screen just past the traffic light. Drive through at 60kmh though and you'll be long gone before the screen displays anything.Conversely the B&D tag will beep though when passing beneath the electronic tolls' overhead gantries.
It seemed to beep satisfactorily under every gantry, so all seems well. Relief! Thanks.

Archived