Post-Brexit Number Plates

StuartO

If anyone else is planning to replace their EU number plates with plain British ones for after Brexit, I discovered an excellent on-line service which got them to me in less than 24 hours for a total cost of £13.39! This includes a bag of fasteners and sticky mounting pads. It's a really good service.

I found them via EBay but you can also buy direct at www.plateservices.co.uk and talk to them on 0191 414 3138. They make it very easy to send them the registraton and identity validation which DVLA requires before plates are issued and they even offer a 10% discount if you enter the Code 319 at checkout!

Don636 - 2019-01-10 10:15 AM

Can anyone explain why you would need to change the number plate. I understand that it has the EU symbol on it but would this make it illegal?

Well here’s my take on it. The likelihood of us crashing out of the EU on 29th March is now minimal. So we shall either

1/ ratify an exit deal, in which case there is a two year transition during which nothing changes number plate wise and as part of the ensuing trade deal some time later there is likely to be an agreement that the number plate style on existing vehicles may remain and only on new vehicles must a change of style be implemented.

2/ or (and I think more likely) there is an extension to Article 50 followed by ‘1’ above or an general election/3rd referendum followed by ‘1’ above or it’s variant so again, no change to number plate required.

I’m not expecting to have to go to the expense of replacing my number plates in the short to medium term and hopefully not at all.

My number plates have 'Cymru' and Welsh flag on them, So, no reason to change them after Brexit, never did like the blue circle and stars......and still dont. roll on 29th March.

Never did like Politics creeping into a Motorhome Forum, but folk who voted Remain just cannot help themselves.....very poor losers.

Rayjsj - 2019-01-10 11:25 AM

My number plates have 'Cymru' and Welsh flag on them, So, no reason to change them after Brexit, never did like the blue circle and stars......and still dont. roll on 29th March.

Never did like Politics creeping into a Motorhome Forum, but folk who voted Remain just cannot help themselves.....very poor losers.

We ain’t lost....yet! If we do, we do, but we’ll keep reminding the rabid right, that’s it’s their fault!

I have replaced my front plate with a plain one but still have the Euro one on the rear. I wonder if this is illegal? .... especially as I cut two small pieces of red insulating tape and made a cross over the EU flag. :D

This is the front one before I changed it.

SAM_0570.JPG.ddeaea446d48fcd987853d9464c5d955.JPG

bit like the welsh when they get stuffed at rugby (lol) (lol)

747 - 2019-01-10 12:32 PM

I have replaced my front plate with a plain one but still have the Euro one on the rear. I wonder if this is illegal? .... especially as I cut two small pieces of red insulating tape and made a cross over the EU flag. :D

Jim, I hope you are not jumping the gun, and that it will happen

PJay

PS Do later plated vehicles still have the eu flag? Our cars don't have it 2016/2017 models

PJay

PJay - 2019-01-10 1:33 PM

PJay

PS Do later plated vehicles still have the eu flag? Our cars don't have it 2016/2017 models

PJay

I hope my small protest has been noticed by other motorists across the highways, byways and motorways of the UK. :D

Don636 - 2019-01-10 10:15 AM

Can anyone explain why you would need to change the number plate. I understand that it has the EU symbol on it but would this make it illegal?

You could probably get away with leaving the numer plate on after Brexit but adding a GB sticker to your MH would be a safer bet and cuttinng off the end with the EU badge an even safer bet.

Good advice Stuart. I was thinking that it would be safer to add a GB plate and I was thinking I could just stick a bit of black duct tape over the Euro symbol and GB but I won’t be worrying about it unless someone in authority tells me to in due course.

Not long after the country decided to free our selves from dictatorship I purchased to two stickers off ebay each showing a Union jack and GB symbol which covered over the Eu one nicely :-) cost about £2.

They will peel off easily if the worst should happen, but really my days of taking the van abroad on holiday no longer interest me, I let the plane take the strain, and save hundreds of pounds in the process.

PJay - 2019-01-10 1:33 PM

PJay

PJay

Having looked at our cars, I was wrong. One has the GB the other does not.. So maybe it depended on who plated it? Both our cars where ex demo cars from the garage, so still don't know why !

PJay

starvin marvin - 2019-01-10 11:59 AM

We ain’t lost....yet! If we do, we do, but we’ll keep reminding the rabid right, that’s it’s their fault!

17.5 million folk were not all 'Rabid right'.

actually 'Remain' Did lose the referendum vote. But no one in power seems to be acknowledging that.

even MPs whose constituents voted to leave.

sshortcircuit - 2019-01-13 12:32 PM

What a palaver over nothing. How many MH over 3850kg have you seen with the appropriate speed sticker fitted, when abroad? A minute few do, but many don't bother and I cant foresee any changes to our number plates

Pretty much but it's chance to trumpet ones political allegiance whilst having a snipe at the 'opposition' as can be seen by the overall tone of the majority of posts. Doesn't take much to figure where the bitterness is coming from. As for country plates, long before any of the current nonsense came about i've lost count of the number of UK reg vehicles i've seen driving off the ferry into France with no GB sticker or logo on their plates.

British tend to fuss about the minutiae such as the breathalyser kit business.....only to find hardly any French bothered with them.

Archived