Posted images only viewable via downloading attachment?

pepe63xnotuse

Sorry, not a motorhome topic..

..but for the last week or so (?), whenever anyone posts up an image, at this end at least, it no longer shows in the post and it has to be "downloaded" by clicking the "attachment" listing at the bottom of the post?

Is it just me?....

(If so, I can't think of anything that has changed/been updated, this end?)

Although, having said that, the images are present when view on our Fire tablet..? :-S

Same with me. I've asked Keith if he is aware of any change in the forum settings, and he is not.

I get a small square box with an X in it where there should be a picture. I can open and edit pictures on the computer, and can clearly see pictures on other websites, which seems to point to the forum as the cause.

Lenovo Win 10 pro PC and Internet Explorer 11.

As you say, all worked fine until about a week ago. I get the same with one or two avatar pics as well, though that is long-standing - I think because the pic files are over size.

Anyone else?

pepe63 - 2018-07-06 8:32 AM

..but for the last week or so (?), whenever anyone posts up an image, at this end at least, it no longer shows in the post and it has to be "downloaded" by clicking the "attachment" listing at the bottom of the post?

Is it just me?....

Although, having said that, the images are present when view on our Fire tablet..? :-S

In my posting on this recent thread

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/No-Towing-Eye/49743/#M571553

I attached a photo of a current-model Frankia i640SD motorhome and (hopefully) you will be able to see that picture.

I’m now going to attach the same photo to this posting, but I’m going to alter the file’s name from frankia.jpg to frankia.jpeg and I’m guessing that, in order to view the latter file, you’ll need to click on the attachment’s file-name.

In this instance the critical factor is the file’s ‘extension’. The forum’s elderly software will allow an attached file with a .jpg extension to be immediately visible on a posting, but a file with a .jpeg extension (which is commonplace nowadays) must be ‘opened’ (by clicking on the file name at the foot of the posting) to see it.

This phenomenon was discussed in this January 2017 forum thread

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Posting-photos/46113/

frankia.jpeg.3e8fc4502cc735a24312dff3bc56307a.jpeg

Derek Uzzell - 2018-07-06 1:35 PM

pepe63 - 2018-07-06 8:32 AM

Is it just me?....

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/No-Towing-Eye/49743/#M571553

I attached a photo of a current-model Frankia i640SD motorhome and (hopefully) you will be able to see that picture.

I’m now going to attach the same photo to this posting, but I’m going to alter the file’s name from frankia.jpg to frankia.jpeg and I’m guessing that, in order to view the latter file you’ll need to click on the attachment’s file-name.

You guessed right Derek. The one on the other thread opened below you post. The one in this thread doesn't and just read "attachment" beneath your post.

I'm on a laptop at the moment with Win8. My desktop pc at home runs 8.1.

I doubt it makes any difference what platform, operating system or browser one is using (I’m using an Apple iMac running OS X and the Safari browser) as it’s the forum's ancient software that ‘decides’ that an attached file with a .jpg extension is visible on a posting and an attached file with a .jpeg extension needs to be ‘opened’ by clcking on the file-name.

Bulletguy - 2018-07-06 1:52 PM

You guessed right Derek. The one on the other thread opened below you post. The one in this thread doesn't and just read "attachment" beneath your post.

I'm on a laptop at the moment with Win8. My desktop pc at home runs 8.1.

Yep, same here, all the other photo's where visible, but not the jpeg.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-07-06 1:35 PM

Sorry for the late response..

No, that image doesn't show up this end either Derek (there's just the little circle with a diagonal line through it, along with "Frankia.jpg" in black, in brackets)

It's only viewable by downloading the attachment(in blue) at the bottom of the post.

Brian Kirby and you have this problem which evidently began to happen about a week ago. Brian runs the Windows 10 operating system, while you run Windows 7 - but both of you run the Internet Explorer 11 browser. It’s logical then to guess that it’s IE 11 that’s the culprit and a GOOGLE-search retrieves observations of that browser being problematical regarding displaying certain file types (eg .jpg or .jpeg files).

It’s years since I used Windows or Internet Explorer (Spit on their names!) but you might find it possible to overcome the viewing problem by twiddling IE’s settings as touched on here

https://borncity.com/win/2017/05/05/windows-10-ie-11-doesnt-show-jpeg-images/

If that doesn’t work, using a different browser probably will. Or - as it’s an irritant rather than life-threatening - just accept that you’ll have to click on the file-name to get the image to appear.

Yes it is irretant. But keep trying and never give up. Some day its gonna be a new bright new sunny day. I renewed my passport recently, and national ID- credit card form. Before you can enter their outlet desk personally in face which is obligatory you have to make on- line by computer an appointment, to show your present Id documents .I f that is readable by them, you will get a fix date by email. And bring the orignals whit you in face. It takes 5 days before the where able to read out my documents. and it happens only by making a I-phone photo by E- mail for the read out by their computers. At present there she makes real copies of the originals because she did not trusted their read out, and was not familar whit it in my opinion. I perfectly understand the present website, being a former IT- manager for 30 years.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-07-07 1:38 PM

Brian Kirby and you have this problem which evidently began to happen about a week ago. Brian runs the Windows 10 operating system, while you run Windows 7 - but both of you run the Internet Explorer 11 browser. It’s logical then to guess that it’s IE 11 that’s the culprit and a GOOGLE-search retrieves observations of that browser being problematical regarding displaying certain file types (eg .jpg or .jpeg files).

It’s years since I used Windows or Internet Explorer (Spit on their names!) but you might find it possible to overcome the viewing problem by twiddling IE’s settings as touched on here

https://borncity.com/win/2017/05/05/windows-10-ie-11-doesnt-show-jpeg-images/

If that doesn’t work, using a different browser probably will. Or - as it’s an irritant rather than life-threatening - just accept that you’ll have to click on the file-name to get the image to appear.

Good try Derek, but I'm afraid it didn't work for me. :-) It is odd that it has only arisen recently, as I've been using IE11 with Win 10 on this computer since November '16 without problem.

Looking at my update history, the last were installed on 16 June, and I'm pretty sure that the problem arose since then, so don't suspect that update - although it does contain (unspecified) security updates for IE11.

Anyone got any suggestions? I'm reluctant to change browsers since a) I'm using Norton Security which isn't compatible with Edge, and I previously found Firexox a pain!

I am running on Windows 10, with Firefox as a web browser.

I have not noticed any problem in viewing pictures attached to a post. If I scan through "still no gas" I can see various pictures of regulators, hoses and gas lockers, posted by both Derek and Brian.

Alan

• 3 months later...

Archived