Posts still showing as unopen?

Guest Jack

Why is the little envelope Rt handside not openining when I have read the message? Is it some thing to do with my computer system? Stopped doing so on the 10th March.

Guest Derek Uzzell
This MMM forum "wee envelope opening" thing has never worked for me (though the Subject text does change colour after I've read a posting). However, the envelopes on the Caravan Motorhome & Camping Mart forum (another look-alike Warners product) do open for me. Very mysterious, but not something that worries me unduly.

Funny that, origionally mine used to open but I noticed a while ago that they had stopped, but as Derek said it did'nt bother me to much as I could still access and read the site. I thought maybe it was something I had done, so maybe it was'nt after all!!

Guest Peter Goddard
Funny that, I get the same thing i.e. the envelope does not change when I have read the post. However if I close and log back on they show as read, try that!

Guest Mike C
Same here but envelope opens if you read a thread then double Back to Read/Subjects. Agree with Derek, not something to worry about.

Guest Peter Sharpe
I believe this may be something to do with the security settings on your computer. When you enter the forum, if security settings allow it, a "cookie" is placed on your computer. This is a harmless little file that remembers certain settings, including your login details and certain other details of your forum use. If you do not allow the cookie, your computer will have no way of knowing which threads you have previously visited, so all posts will show as being unread. If your cookie is present and correct, you will probably find that your login details auto-complete as soon as you type in the first letter of your name. You should then find that the details of your last visit have been remembered and that the envelopes are displayed with their correct status. It may be that your computer, although not accepting the stored cookie, will accept something known as a session cookie. This remembers the details of your present visit, but will be automatically deleted when you switch your computer off. This is why the envelopes may appear correctly opened during your current visit, but revert to unopened when you return. There are ways of instructing your computer to accept the MMM forum as a friendly site, which will cause it to allow the MMM cookie, even if it generally rejects most others. Unfortunately, such a tutorial would be a bit too lengthy for me to reproduce here, but if others have the time and patience, then please feel free to do so. I am sure someone will soon correct me if am wrong.

Archived