Pre Delivery Inspection

Guest Mark Haywood

Guest Mark Haywood
does anyone know if a pre delivery inspection has to be completed by your dealer on a new vehicle. we have recently purchased a Bessacar E760 without the PDI being completed and with no engineers signature or date on the sheet. we have had numurous faults with this vehicle. many thanks Mark

Guest Alan W
Why did you accept it without the PDI being completed. It is the PDI that should highlight any faults, which can then be rectified by the dealer before handover. Alan W

Guest Mike C
Hello Mark, I am making the assumption that you are referring to a new Bessacar. There is no legal requirement for a dealer to carry out a PDI check and from my experience a signed and ticked PDI sheet is no guarantee that the PDI has been carried out partially or fully. Most that I have seen are office clean and ticked neatly in the same colour pen, not what you would expect from the service staff. Many times I have found items ticked as checked that are not fitted or specified for the vehicle. A PDI check and signature is no guarantee that all the faults have been found and corrected. I always ask to see the PDI check list which I check before handing over the cash. In the case of Swift Group they have the base vehicle PDI'd before delivery to the dealer but the dealer should carry out a PDI on the Coachbuilt section. In your case you know that the PDI has not been carried out which at least you can view as a positive. The best course of action is to write to the dealer with a list of the faults and a demand that these are resolved and mention that no PDI check was performed. Send a copy to Swift Group with a covering letter and keep a detailed diary of events, correspondence and phone calls. If the faults are serious state that you find the vehicle is not fit for the purpose you purchased it for. Good luck, Mike C.

Guest Mark Haywood
The PDI was actually done at the dealers where we bought the motorhome from, the electrical system wasn`t checked and we are having problems with the cab battery loosing its charge we have had two new batteries fitted up to date mark

Guest Mark Haywood
Hi mike and yes i am refering to a bessacar we have already written to the dealer with the list of faults 13 in all the arguement being which is at fault the chassis or conversion for the cab battery drainage it is unfortunate that we are now close to taking legal action as this is the final and last time we are accepting any repairs. We considered buying a motorhome for some time this was not quite the experience we were looking for regards Mark

Guest Clive
Doesn,t bode well for Bessacar or the distributor does it??? Unfortunately the Motorhome industry is not in the same league as the car business in getting it right first time. (even they can be a bit wobbly at times!) But doing the basic checks properly and honestly is unforgiveable. I remember an occasion when a brand new vehicle was handed over only for the new owners to find that the seat belts were all loose and floppy. They hadn,t been bolted back to the seat bases which were removed to get the seats upholstered in their new matching livery. Then the split charging was not wired in correctly. Yes, it still pays to be a good DIYer even today. You can only be sure if you sort it yourself!

Guest Mike C
Hello Mark, Not an electrician so unable to help with a suggestion for the cause of the battery drainage but I am sure that other members of the forum better qualified than me can suggest the likely cause. Unfortunately faults like this are not uncommon on new motor caravans as a quick trawl through this forum will determine. The Caravan Club (spit ding!) survey found that approximately 25% of all new caravans are delivered to the customer with faults. As the coachbuilders and dealers featured are also the main players in the Motor Caravan market I suppose we cannot hope for any better performance. I hope that you get the matter resolved to your satisfaction and can get out there and enjoy a great pastime. Regards, Mike C.

Guest David Powell
Hello Mark...I don't know what electrics you have in your Bessacar, but if it is Plug-in-systems, they guarantee the electrics themselves for two years, and will come to you and fix any fault where ever you may be in the UK. Phone 01482652523. They are a cheerful crew, and arrive promt at the time and date and place of the appointment, no problem. I had them out twice. If you have another make of electrics, sorry, I'm no help.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Wilf Nicholson
Hi Mark Does it not surprise you to find that after spending over £40,000 on a vehicle nobody cares. I recently purchased a new Fiat based Dethleffs & after the usual 1000 miles my temperature gauge failed.This was a problem on my last Peugeot but all dealers have the standard reply of "this IS NEW TO US". Cobblers, every problem is new to them should feed them more nuts.When i presented the vehicle for repair i was told that no record of a PDI or my vehicle could be found.I thought this odd as the dealer delayed delivery for 2 days to allow for the PDI. Another dealer with a long nose, thats 7 i have purchased from in 20 years. According to my Fiat dealer PDI inspections are no longer documented in service books but the dealer should register your vehicle.Believe who you like but I now take dealer and agents words with a pince of salt. Your Wilf N

Archived