Pre-emptive repairs

daveseven

Adria Compact 2009 X-250, 123K miles to date (by me).

I have read some horror stories of breakdowns in Europe.

Is it worthwhile to have pre-emptive repairs before next trip...eg. injectors, clutch...?

Or should I be throwing in the towel and going for a new/recent van ?

(Trade ins offered at 15/16k)

Thanks,

Dave

Guest pelmetman
daveseven - 2018-12-16 8:18 PM

Adria Compact 2009 X-250, 123K miles to date (by me).

I have read some horror stories of breakdowns in Europe.

Is it worthwhile to have pre-emptive repairs before next trip...eg. injectors, clutch...?

Or should I be throwing in the towel and going for a new/recent van ?

(Trade ins offered at 15/16k)

Thanks,

Dave

I suspect with a 123k on the clock done by yourself in just 9 years, is well above average for a moho, So you probably know all it's quirks by now ;-) ........

If it were me I'd keep it, the money you'll save on a trade in will far out weigh the cost of repairs abroad :D ......

Ours clicked a 100k last year after 28 years B-) ........

If I wrote ours off I wouldn't buy anything built this century :-| .......

daveseven - 2018-12-16 8:18 PM

...Or should I be throwing in the towel and going for a new/recent van ?...

I think you answered that question yourself towards the end of your 18 May 2018 11:53 AM posting in this earlier forum thread

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Fiat-Ducato-X-250-cutiing-out/49333/

Other than (as colin advises) making sure that all ‘serviceable’ items (tyres, brakes, filters, etc.) are in good condition and that there’s nothing obviously wrong with your motorhome that needs attention, I’m not sure where you’d stop once you started having items replaced that might possibly fail when you were abroad.

You might consider replacing the earth-strap, as that would be quite cheap and easy to do (and seems to be the cause of many electtrical faults) And, with that mileage, clutch wear must have occurred - but that doesn’t mean failure will happen in the near future.

If you decide not to replace the Adria (or even if you do replace it) make sure you have suitable breakdown insurance.

There is comfort in having a brand new MH with a manufacturer's guarantee but the cost of replacing a 2009 vehicle with 123000 on the clock will be really quite high if you buy like for like, compared with which the cost of regular and thorough servicing and repairs as they arise will be lower. Maybe it depends what you've got left in your life to spend your money on!

Our MH is 2006, bought new by us and still running well, although we have spent money this past couple of years of new front springs (over £1,000) and we did have a breakdown in France which cost about £1,000 but was otherwise pretty painless. I've looked at replacement several times but always decided against, so I concentrate on good servicing.

Unless you have a working crystal ball, ( and even they break down sometimes!) it is impossible to know what to replace/repair. Far better to have a good breakdown insurance that will get you and your M/H home in the event of a breakdown.

I have broken down a few times in France and Spain over some 50 years of motoring on the continent, repair costs can be much higher and spares availability can be poor.

Having had my last breakdown repaired in Spain, ( a good job, but not cheap and it took over a week ) I will now just tell my breakdown company to get me and my vehicle back home and get it sorted out over here.

H

Archived