Private Messaging

wints

I've sent two PM's over the w/e, and wondering why I've not heard anything back I find that both messages are in the 'outbox', with no apparent method of transfer to the 'sentbox'.

Can anyone throw light on this ?

Thanks

Allen

You have to wait until the receiver opens the PM and then it will leave the outbox. You could mention on the applicable thread that you have sent that person a PM but they should receive an email to notify them that a PM is waiting.

And more......shortly after my PM query I attempted to log back onto the forum and I get a report ...'you are banned from the system' .

An obvious mistake as an email to the admin appears to have sorted that out.

Phew...

Allen

Patricia - 2014-05-19 6:57 PM

You have to wait until the receiver opens the PM and then it will leave the outbox. You could mention on the applicable thread that you have sent that person a PM but they should receive an email to notify them that a PM is waiting.

"... but they should receive an email to notify them that a PM is waiting."

This will only be so if the forum-member to which the PM has been sent has enabled the "Receive e-mail notifications when someone sends you a private message?" option via his/her Forum Control Panel. The default for this option is 'No' and, unless a forum-member alters this to 'Yes', no e-mail will be received regarding PMs waiting to be read. I suspect that the majority of forum-members (particularly new members) have the option set to 'No', either deliberately (as in my case) or through being unaware that the e-mail option exists.

The presence of unread PMs is shown by a red number appearing within the brackets next to "Inbox" below the "Welcome,..." stripe towards the top of this webpage.

As I understand the forum's PM system, the PM is initially stored in the sender's Outbox and, while it remains there, will be accessible to editing or deletion by the sender (useful if the PM is offensive and the sender regrets having sent it!). Once the PM moves to "Sent Items" (indicating that the recipient has looked at the PM) there's no way to change it or recall it and, if you've been abusive to someone, you should anticipate a pithy reply. ;-)

Archived