Problems with brand new motorhome

leemyka

Hi

We bought our new motor home, an Elddis Majestic 254 in March 2019 on a brand new reg 19 plate from Marquis at Dinnington.

Since we bought it we have had nothing but problems with it.

These are the problems we have had so far:

First time away after we had only had it a couple of weeks the charger went so we had to leave the caravan site early.

Then the fridge shelves have broken with hardly any weight on them.

We have had to have a new bathroom door as the first one was warped.the airer in the bathroom fell off as it wasn't screwed in properly.

The panel in the bathroom had to be stuck back as otherwise water would have leaked into it from the shower.

The cabin blinds did not meet at the front and the motorhome had to be returned for this.

About 7 weeks ago we spotted the lino floor under the carpet has lifted and has bubbled near the fridge, at the side of the bed and under the sofa. (it looks like manufacturer has tried to do a cowboy job by trying to cut the lino and push it up to the bed to get bubble out from near the fridge.

The motorhome has been with Marquis for the last 4 weeks and they have not managed to fix it, we asked for it back so we could go on our holiday which was booked and now they are waiting for new adhesive to try again to sort it. It feels like it’s just one thing after another.

Can anyone advise on what action we should take or has anyone been in a similar position. We are getting really fed up now.

Thanks

We've had loads of problems with our Eldiss which, to be fair, the dealer has mostly fixed. You just have to keep on to them and try to get a contact at Eldiss. My issues have been around the heater and bed stopping working and on one occasion the bed tilting and not moving. Other problems include the bike rack on the back falling off because it was only held on by self tappers. Again, most of the problems have been fixed and so far none as bad as yours,

Don't know if you've had the invite but there's a factory open weekend 21 and 22 of Sept. Might be a good opportunity to grab somebody warmly by the throat and give him/her a gentle shake?

Sorry you're having these issues, It's disappointing when you're spending considerable amounts of money and you have tio put up with this level of support. I think the product itself looks good but definitely built down to a price using the cheapest flimsiest processes and bits they can get away with

Actually I misled you a bit./ It wasn't an invite, it was an article on page 18 in this months Caravan and Motorhome mag and if I can remember how to post pics I'll attach a copy of it, but essentially you apply to www.eldiss.co.uk/openweekend to book a place on either the Sat or Sun.

We're going Saturday so I guess we'll recognise you as the chappie with steam coming out of his ears or the burning M/H (lol)

Unfortunately, the problems you are having with a new MH, are not at all unusual. New vehicles are a complete pain in the derrière.

If I could think of a substitute for motorhoming which would be as pleasurable and interesting, I would pack it in tomorrow, to rid myself of my turbulent 4 wheels.

I love motorhoming, but truly hate the state of the vehicles that are foisted upon us.

leemyka - 2019-08-29 5:59 PM

Can anyone advise on what action we should take or has anyone been in a similar position. We are getting really fed up now.

Judging from the catalogue of disasters you've listed i'd say you've certainly got a valid case for Trading Standards to intervene. Alternatively do what this customer did with his £63k Range Rover.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/53k-range-rover-vogue-left-14923431

Wait 'til the capping starts falling off, you' ve got that to look forward to yet :D

Ours is 5 years old and it's starting to get bad now. I'm still thinking about how I'm going to tackle it, fully bonded construction is great until it becomes un-bonded, at least it's just the capping though, I think. *-)

Three points.

Unfortunately the faults you list are all to common, and at this stage there is little you can do apart from getting the dealer to fix them.

Marquis having the van for 4 weeks and them not being fixed is not acceptable I would ask them for a schedule.

The fridge selves seems a odd one, I'm guessing it's a generic fridge, and I've not heard of anyone having problems with broken shelves.

I agree with Bulletguy that it would be worth seeking advice from Trading Standards about this.

https://www.gov.uk/find-local-trading-standards-office

The following 2018 link is not directly relevant to Lee’s problem (as his motorhome was bought some 6 months ago) but it’s still worth wading through as a cautionary tale.

https://tinyurl.com/y4eqc8y4

(There is some 2016 on-line discussion relating to failure of the DOOR shelves of Dometic 9-Series fridges, but I’m guessing it’s the large horizontal shelves in the main part of the fridge that Lee was referring to, not the shelves on the door.)

Archived