Prospective MH purchaser

Exy

Hello all,

We caravanned for years (20 ish) and sold our ABI Brooklyn 490-5 which we owned for 16 years about 18 months ago.

I have read a fair few threads on here as a guest and we took the plunge 4 weeks ago and hired a Swift Escape 686 to see what this MH malarkey was all about.

The Swift enabled us to get a feel for the restrictions of not having a separate car and also what we think we might like in a MH.

We have settled on a layout with a front lounge, preferably with the cab seats forming one end and a fixed bed (island or French).

We are from N.Ireland and looked at a Bailey 76-2 today which we both absolutely loved BUT have some reservations regarding whether a 7.6M MH will fit into caravan sized spaces on our camp sites here in NI?

The Bailey is absolute stonking value allowing the purchase of a brand new MH for the price most are looking for 2-4year old models. I would appreciate any feedback (good or bad) regarding the Bailey offerings?

I have tried the search function and read everything I can find.

Looking forward to being able to post our own contributions.

Thanks.

I toured Ireland recently for 3 months North and South in my Chausson van 7.6 metres long with no problems I stayed on a few camp sites which I did not like as we thought them very expensive and the facilities showers etc were really unusable as they were very cold and unheated, , that aside I had no problem with the size of the van, we wild camped a lot and used Irish Craic for overnight stops with no problems,beaches and harbours were our favourite stop overs, I know nothing of the van you are contemplating getting except the layout which mirrors our Chausson rear bed front lounge no faffing about making beds every night.

If you do buy a van new or old expect problems. no purchase [or very few ]are without problems , some worse than others, I had Caravans too for many years and loved them but we have now been Motorhomers for over 20 years and love that also, but I would have no problem reverting back to a Caravan as and when and if the need arose. .

Be aware of the driving licence restrictions and be sure you have the correct one for the vehicle you buy, payloads are very important too in Motorhomes ie the weight of the stuff you want to carry, some vans have virtually no payload at all and folks end up getting them replated to carry extra payloads which again can effect your driving licence'

You did right to hire a van first to make sure that you liked and could cope with Motorhoming, best of luck and enjoy your new way of vanning. others will be along to give more advice I am sure.

vindiboy - 2018-12-10 8:57 PM

I toured Ireland recently for 3 months North and South in my Chausson van 7.6 metres long with no problems I stayed on a few camp sites which I did not like as we thought them very expensive and the facilities showers etc were really unusable as they were very cold and unheated, , that aside I had no problem with the size of the van, we wild camped a lot and used Irish Craic for overnight stops with no problems,beaches and harbours were our favourite stop overs, I know nothing of the van you are contemplating getting except the layout which mirrors our Chausson rear bed front lounge no faffing about making beds every night.

If you do buy a van new or old expect problems. no purchase [or very few ]are without problems , some worse than others, I had Caravans too for many years and loved them but we have now been Motorhomers for over 20 years and love that also, but I would have no problem reverting back to a Caravan as and when and if the need arose. .

Be aware of the driving licence restrictions and be sure you have the correct one for the vehicle you buy, payloads are very important too in Motorhomes ie the weight of the stuff you want to carry, some vans have virtually no payload at all and folks end up getting them replated to carry extra payloads which again can effect your driving licence'

You did right to hire a van first to make sure that you liked and could cope with Motorhoming, best of luck and enjoy your new way of vanning. others will be along to give more advice I am sure.

Thanks for the reply Mr. V :-D

The Bailey's have massive payloads (at least as far as I am concerned 700kg).

My missus can't be having making up beds so I get to do that chore but great if not required.

Not sure about the wild camping need to take a look at some of the locations. We love the forest parks and beaches so have a ready supply of both.

Thanks for the advice regarding 'problems' as we had contemplated going over to the mainland to purchase but will most probably buy local'ish to us.

Our dealers here are quite responsible and asked about my licence entitlement almost straight away, one even didn't trust I had read it right, must be my boyish looks LOL.

Thanks again.

Exy - 2018-12-10 10:18 PM

...The Bailey's have massive payloads (at least as far as I am concerned 700kg)...

The ‘payload’ quoted by a motorhome’s manufacturer will be calculated based on a formula comprising the vehicle’s weight with additional weights added (or not added!!) for things like a driver, diesel fuel, fresh water, gas, etc. The total is then subtracted from the motorhome’s MAM (Maximum Authorised Mass) that will be shown on the vehicle’s VIN data-plate.

When a motorhome is large and marketed with a MAM of 3500kg to maximise its potential buyers’ market, the usable payload when fully loaded in ‘holiday trim’ can be startlingly low and care may also be needed to ensure that the vehicle’s axle-load maxima and tyre load-limits are not exceeded.

I refer you to the Bailey-related comments in this 2017 Caravan and Motorhome Club discussion.

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-together/discussions/information-technical-tips-advice/motorhomes/uprating-the-weight-plate/?p=1

and in this 2016 discussion here

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Uprating-Bailey-665/41100/

Thanks for the reply Mr. V

Lots have fallen into that trap, start thinking full water tanks barbis awning, extra batteries , fuel .gas, pots and pans crockery glasses clothing TV leveling blocks tools Solar panel hook up cables bike rack and bikes ?? etc etc the list is endless so be aware .

vindiboy - 2018-12-11 10:53 AM

Lots have fallen into that trap, start thinking full water tanks barbis awning, extra batteries , fuel .gas, pots and pans crockery glasses clothing TV leveling blocks tools Solar panel hook up cables bike rack and bikes ?? etc etc the list is endless so be aware .

So the second link supplied above has a quote that suggests the following are covered (for certain models);

Driver @ 75kg (I am only a slip of a fella really :)

100% fuel

100% gas

100% fresh water

100% water heater

100% Toilet flush tank

Sooo providing Bailey aren't total and complete chancers/liars and haven't changed their MIRO calculation between models which is still not beyond the realms of possibility I have 700kg to play with.

I hope to get the Premium pack so that will add 50kg leaving 650kg

That leaves my missus who will see hell defrost before she tells me how much less than 75kg she weighs :). say 100kg including the dog.

E-bike and carrier 50kg

I have to say guys I am really struggling to see the problem here with 500kg to play with for fripperies (we will be using for a max of 2 weeks at a time so I can simply turn my undercrackers inside-out after the first week). Even if the listed 100% items are added to the tally I still don't see a problem, doesn't everyone use paper plates, plastic knives and forks and Styrofoam cups these days, who can be bothered with washing up

I did mention we caravanned for many many years so are no strangers to loading up a van with essentials etc. weighing significant items and doing a spot of adding and subtracting.

After reading the first attached link above I was appalled at how some are willing to practice Tax Evasion to save themselves £100PA not to mention the nightmare of uprating the plate then having a major RTA followed by the inevitable thorough investigation. I am thinking accident on the Nürburgring style cost escalation resulting in loss of Everything you own

I was rather hoping for some constructive feedback on Bailey's and whether a 7.6M van fits in standard caravan site spaces?

(lol)

Exy - 2018-12-11 6:21 PM

I was rather hoping for some constructive feedback on Bailey's and whether a 7.6M van fits in standard caravan site spaces?

OK I'll post my view on MH length.

We have an AutoTrail which is 6.5 m long and really wouldn't want to go any longer.

Several campsites we have been on (mainly C&CC and occasionally C&MC or private) we have found the pitch lengths are only sufficient for our 6.5 m MH and if we had been any longer then the choice of pitch would have been severely limited.

We also like to visit a lot of National Trust and Historic Houses and on many occasions we would have struggled with a longer van. We have also parked in many car parks where a longer van would not fit.

So for us 6.5 m is our limit!

Keith.

So the second link supplied above has a quote that suggests the following are covered (for certain models);

100% fuel

100% gas

100% fresh water

100% water heater

100% Toilet flush tank

(lol)

Why do you believe these are covered?

Then there is the usual problem with larger vans, is it built on the light or heavy chassis, if on the light then there is the possibility of reaching rear axle max before ever getting near overall max.

We have a Bailey motorhome ( original model ) . We have had the van from new and have had some problems , all of which were remedied to our satisfaction via warranty eventually.

I suppose the big questions are , are we happy with the van , answer , very , and would we buy another. , answer. , yes .

Regarding the payload just do the maths and carry what you are allowed , exactly as you did when u r were tugging , as regards length its no hassle to me and id happily drive an even bigger vehicle. We have used C&MH sites and private sites for our six years of ownership and have NEVER had ANY problems with the length of the van.

I’d recommend Bailey motorhomes and i hope you have great times in yours .

PM me if you have any specific question re the brand

Adrian .

colin - 2018-12-11 7:17 PM

100% fuel

100% gas

100% fresh water

100% water heater

100% Toilet flush tank

(lol)

Then there is the usual problem with larger vans, is it built on the light or heavy chassis, if on the light then there is the possibility of reaching rear axle max before ever getting near overall max.

Cheers Adrian & Keith for the replies.

I have no idea Colin I was simply interpreting Steve928's post as referred to in my post by Derek's second link.

I find it incredible that a major British manufacturer would sell (and people would buy) products that if some of the posts are to be believed are clearly unfit for their intended use.

Here is Derek's link again, perhaps you missed it?;

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Uprating-Bailey-665/41100/

Exy

For the current Advance 76-2 model Bailey’s website quotes a Maximum Technically Permitted Laden Mass (MTPLM) of 3500kg, a Mass in Running Order (MRO) of 2800kg, and Total User Payload of 700kg (3500kg - 2800kg).

In the website’s FAQs section is the following Question and Answer

Q: What do MRO, MTPLM and User Payload mean?

A: MRO (formerly MIRO) stands for Mass in Running Order, this is effectively the weight of the caravan or motorhome as it leaves the factory with no additions. Please note; within the MRO is an allowance for 'essential habitation equipment' ( ie: gas bottle and its contents, toilet flush fluids and mains hook-up cable ) All items listed under ‘product specification’ are included in the MRO.

MTPLM stands for the Maximum Technical Permissible Laden Mass (pre-1998 this was known as MGW maximum gross weight) this is the maximum weight a leisure vehicle can weigh inclusive of the user payload.

User Payload: If you take the MTPLM minus the MRO this will give you your user payload. This is the maximum weight that can be put inside your leisure vehicle when towing it or driving it.

The implication of the MRO-related statement is that the stated MRO of 2800kg for an Advance 76-2 is based on the ‘bare weight’ of the motorhome as it rolls off Bailey’s assembly-line, with a small included allowance - say 20kg - for a (presumably full) 6kg gas-bottle, a 230V hook-up cable and some toilet chemicals. There’s no mention of weight allowances for a driver, diesel-fuel or fresh water.

If you are concerned about payload, it would be worth you confirming with Bailey what the 2800kg MRO weight comprises.

You might also consider joining the Bailey Motorhome Owners Group on Facebook if you want pros-and-cons feedback from owners of this marque of motorhome.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1433322080268895/

(Rather than the payload, I’d be more wary of a 76-2’s long rear overhang (apparent in the attached photo) the long wheelbase (consequentially wide turning circle) and the limited ground clearance under the chassis rails and underfloor tanks. I’m certain that - because of those factors - I couldn’t get an Advance 76-2 onto the parking area in front of my house as doing this involves a tight turn up a sharp steep incline and through a narrow entrance.)

76-2.jpg.6d57c66c345b0b8e520895b5d7ab7fe6.jpg

vindiboy - 2018-12-12 10:51 AM

Adiebt - 2018-12-12 9:40 AM

I’m trying to PM the OP but the PMs are just sitting in the outbox , any help out there ? Cheers

I

I believe PMs stay apparent in your out box until opened [ IE } read by the recipient ?

That is correct.

A PM will remain in the sender’s OUTBOX until the intended recipient opens the message. When that happens the message will move from the sender’s OUTBOX to the sender’s SENT file.

The intended recipient of a PM message will receive an indication that a PM has been sent to him/her. The indication is a red number appearing in the “inbox” area of the ‘bar section’ directly below the Welcome message towards the top of the forum page. It’s easy to miss, particularly if one is unfamiliar with the way the forum works.

Exy - 2018-12-11 9:19 PM

100% fuel

100% gas

100% fresh water

100% water heater

100% Toilet flush tank

(lol)

Cheers Adrian & Keith for the replies.

I have no idea Colin I was simply interpreting Steve928's post as referred to in my post by Derek's second link.

I find it incredible that a major British manufacturer would sell (and people would buy) products that if some of the posts are to be believed are clearly unfit for their intended use.

Here is Derek's link again, perhaps you missed it?;

I am suprised that you think manufactures tell the truth most vans with a gross weight of 3500k have a small payload have a look at autotrail and others

I don't know if Motorhome Craic will have the answer about NI pitch sizes. In Britain the smallest pitches tend to be 6m so anything longer than that and the number of pitches reduce slightly until you hit the 8m/RV size where the number of available pitches drops noticeably. I expect Exy will have plenty of pitch choices in Britain.

There are some Bailey motorhome reviews on Fun:

https://motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/forums/bailey-motorhomes.231/

pagey - 2018-12-12 11:54 AM

...I am suprised that you think manufacturers tell the truth. Most vans with a gross weight of 3500k have a small payload. Have a look at autotrail and others

It’s not the 3500kg MTPLM that’s critical regarding usable-payload - it’s a motorhome’s design, size, construction-methodology and specification within the 3500kg maximum.

My current Rapido motorhome has a MTPLM of 3500kg, as did its Hobby predecessor, and the usable-payload is/was more than enough for my requirements. But both vehicles are low-profile designs with relatively compact dimensions (6.5m long and 2.75m high) and a ‘Continental’ specification that excludes heavy items like an oven or integrated awning.

Just like people, if a motorhome is big, this is likely to be reflected in its weight. And, if a big motorhome has a 3500kg MTPLM, care should be taken to confirm the adequacy of its usable-payload.

(A caveat about the Advance 76-2 - its gas-locker’s capacity is quoted as "2 x 6kg (Based on using Calor Propane gas bottles)”. This presents a potential problem when touring abroad in countries (eg. France) where the dimensions of the standard ‘foreign’ gas-bottles are significantly larger than UK-norm 6kg canisters, as the bigger bottles probably won’t fit in a 76-2’s gas-locker. The bottle-size limitation can be side-stepped by using a 6kg user-refillable bottlle (Gaslow, GAS IT, etc.) but it’s something still worth being aware of.)

100% fuel

100% gas

100% fresh water

100% water heater

100% Toilet flush tank (lol)

From Bailey's website: "MRO (formerly MIRO) stands for Mass in Running Order, this is effectively the weight of the caravan or motorhome as it leaves the factory with no additions. Please note; within the MRO is an allowance for 'essential habitation equipment' ( ie: gas bottle and its contents, toilet flush fluids and mains hook-up cable ) All items listed under ‘product specification’ are included in the MRO."

Beware! This is a large van with a surprisingly low MRO. 700kg net payload should be alright for two people, but you need to check carefully the exact specification of the model you have looked at, as it may include options that will eat away that apparently large payload.

It is also approximately 2.3 metres wide and, in combination with its length (plus its considerable wheelbase) it will be difficult to manoeuvre and to park. You may find this restricts where you can comfortably take it.

It is a very British layout, and my first thought is that that front lounge is largely wasted space, and does not take maximum advantage of the cab seats unless you intend entertaining quite a lot.

Second, to get such a relatively large van down to a MIRO of only 2,800kg implies a very light build, which may indicate that it lacks rigidity so may well creak and rattle a lot on the road. So take it for a good test ride and see how noisy it is.

Gas at 2 x 6kg seems under provided to me for a van of that size. Water tank at just under 100 litres is fine, but do bear in mind that if you fill it, it will take nearly 100kg off your payload (according to Bailey's MIRO declaration as above). Bear in mind also that another 6 kg gas cylinder will deduct a further 16kg or so from your already depleted payload. It is very easy to be impressed with what looks like a generous payload, so you have to keep in mind that everything you would normally carry in a caravan towcar also has to be carried in a motorhome.

Do think hard about where you might go in this van, and for how long. For two weeks it should be fine, but it won't take kindly to standing around for extended periods. Motorhomes, because of their "oily bits", do need to be driven. If you begin to consider longer trips, say a month or more, especially if you think you may go abroad with it, I think you may come to regret your choice in a relatively short time.

Having said all of the above, these thigs are a matter of personal preference - for which there are no rules! :-)

“It is a very British layout, and my first thought is that that front lounge is largely wasted space, and does not take maximum advantage of the cab seats unless you intend entertaining quite a lot. “

Wasted space ? A lounge is to be lounged in , its a fantastic relaxation / dining /TV viewing and social area , one of the main attractions for us is this great lounging space

“It is also approximately 2.3 metres wide and, in combination with its length (plus its considerable wheelbase) it will be difficult to manoeuvre and to park. You may find this restricts where you can comfortably take it.”

Any competent driver can manage these dimensions , ive owned a similar sized vehicle for 6 yrs now and ive never been restricted where i can take the vehicle.

“Do think hard about where you might go in this van, and for how long. For two weeks it should be fine, but it won't take kindly to standing around for extended periods. Motorhomes, because of their "oily bits", do need to be driven. If you begin to consider longer trips, say a month or more, especially if you think you may go abroad with it, I think you may come to regret your choice in a relatively short time.”

What ? Are you honestly saying that a motorhome of this type is unsuitable to take abroad for periods longer than 14 days ? Utter tosh!

I don’t think you are being very helpful to the OP with these wildly inaccurate spurious opinions .

Derek Uzzell - 2018-12-12 9:21 AM

Exy

If you are concerned about payload, it would be worth you confirming with Bailey what the 2800kg MRO weight comprises.

(Rather than the payload, I’d be more wary of a 76-2’s long rear overhang (apparent in the attached photo) the long wheelbase (consequentially wide turning circle) and the limited ground clearance under the chassis rails and underfloor tanks. I’m certain that - because of those factors - I couldn’t get an Advance 76-2 onto the parking area in front of my house as doing this involves a tight turn up a sharp steep incline and through a narrow entrance.)

Hi Derek,

I appreciate the response I really do BUT I am not concerned about payload in the least, as I suspect are many many current motorhomers running about the country. Ignorance it seems really can be bliss LOL.

I also appreciate your predicament with your current house and I suspect I might ask the dealer if I can test drive one and try it into our purpose built caravan run which is 8.5M long by 4.1M wide, headroom is also more than generous however the access road is a little narrow but I did reverse an ABI 490-5 into it with a Seat Toledo a few years back IN THE FIRST ATTEMPT which to be fair was more by luck than design. I mentioned ground clearance to the dealer when we viewed as a possible area for concern so well spotted.

Thanks also for the other responses EVERYONE. This seems to be a lively forum where you can have some lively debate without anyone getting upset when all we are having is an honest and frank discussion.

I believe and have always encouraged my junior engineers stating "There are no stupid questions" as you never know what path they may take you down.

The Swift we hired was almost 7M long and then we put a bike on the bike rack, it was also about 2.3M wide. That Swift was well past the flush of youth with 85,000 miles and was quite rattly when driving not to mention extremely draughty to boot. I love tinkering, upgrading etc. so have no qualms about doing most work myself.

In response to Brians comments above I doubt we will ever leave NI in it as we plan to use for Extended weekends and possibly a fortnight once a year, just like the caravan. Regarding your mention of a British layout I would have to say we have looked at a LOT of different motorhomes just recently and were amazed at how slim most continental purchasers must be as the front lounges are extremely tight for space and we do NOT like fixed tables or drop down beds or bunks etc. (everyone to their own and all that of course) HOWEVER both my missus and I were totally blown away by just how much space there was inside the 76-2. I can only suggest you actually take a look for your self as in my experience once you park up the more space the better. It could be argued of course there is too much space for two Average Sized adults (5'6" & 5'4") and one Staffy cross.

I am also finding it hard to believe that Bailey could be any worse built than a 2001 end of production run ABI (ABI pulled out of touring caravans in 2001 and ours was one of the last five built allegedly!).

Just on another note we used the little blue dumpy gas bottles in our caravan and I didn't refill them more than twice each in over 15 years despite using the spare one for BBQ'ing, not sure how we managed to remain so thrifty because my good lady does like her heat.

Thanks again to everyone that has taken the time and trouble to post a reply

:-D

Exy - 2018-12-12 8:24 PM

...Just on another note we used the little blue dumpy gas bottles in our caravan and I didn't refill them more than twice each in over 15 years despite using the spare one for BBQ'ing, not sure how we managed to remain so thrifty because my good lady does like her heat...

:-D

A Bailey Advance 76-2 is fitted with a Truma Combi 4E combination air/water heater (a Combi 6E would be better given the motorhome’s large interior space, but that appliance is more expensive).

I don’t know how familiar you are with this Truma appliance, but it’s decidedly gas-hungry when heating air and, consequently, Truma advises that propane always be used to meet that demand.

“Little blue dumpy gas bottles” suggests 4.5kg butane containers and - if you do buy a 76-2 - you’d be wise to swap those canisters for (usually red) 6kg propane bottles. It does depend on when you’d be using the 76-2 as, although a Combi 4E’s 230V air-heating 1.8kW capability will provide background heating using a campsite electric hook-up, in cold weather you’d need to use the Combi on gas, and in really cold weather that gas should be propane.

Adiebt - 2018-12-12 7:04 PM...………………...What ? Are you honestly saying that a motorhome of this type is unsuitable to take abroad for periods longer than 14 days ? Utter tosh!

I don’t think you are being very helpful to the OP with these wildly inaccurate spurious opinions .

I am absolutely trying to be very helpful to the OP with my suggestions.

My point regarding longer term use is that I strongly suspect the payload would prove inadequate if loaded for two to three months abroad - an expensive error if that turned out to be the case. So, I dispute that my advice was, as you say, "utter tosh". But then, I'm unconvinced that your uncritical paean of praise for the van is necessarily that helpful either. So, let's just agree to disagree - politely.

As is evident from his further post above, that pattern of use is unlikely so, as he has realised, the comment is not relevant to him.

When folk first buy motorhomes, even if changing from a caravan, they do not always spot disadvantages that later become apparent. The OP is perfectly capable of asking me why I advanced the opinions I did, should he wish to, and I should be happy to explain why. After all, he can accept or ignore my opinions exactly as he chooses.

Where a vehicle is comfortable to drive depends on the kinds of roads one takes it down. A 7.5 metre x 2.3 metre van on a long wheelbase chassis would be very challenging in a number of the places we've been with smaller vans. One never knows quite what people are thinking of doing, when, or where, when they post queries on here.

Motorhomes are designed to sell, which means a lot of eye-candy, but not that they are necessarily practical in use. Large vans with unrealistically low payloads are not uncommon - just look at the number of queries we get on re-plating to increase MAM on this forum. Far easier to avoid the issue altogether (which requires one to know it is a potential problem) than to try fixing it post hoc, don't you think?

Archived