Public Weighbridge Accuracy

stevec176

The max weight of my Rapido 665f is 3500kg. I've had the van from new, bought in 2016, and have had a few items added including a solar panel and awning. In 2016 before I had the awning added I had the van weighed, 3500kg exact. In 2018 after having the awning added I had it weighed again, 3540kg. Last year I bought a couple of folding electric bikes, which will fit inside the van, and removed the 2 heavy folding seats and now carry 2 roll up seats. On Wednesday, while away in Yorkshire I took the van to a public weighbridge to get it weighed again, 3760kg. That extra weight is enough for 3 adults, I have checked and I don't have anyone hiding away, so where did the extra weight come from? I did check with the weighbridge and they tell me their scales were checked 2 weeks ago. I can now just accept I've eaten a lot of extra cream scones and go on a very strict diet or get the van reweighed at a local weighbridge or just ignore it all, what do you think I should do?

Steve,

As the weighbridge had recently been checked then contact them and ask for a copy of the calibration certificate.

I had my AT weighed a couple of years on a portable 'drive over' scale by the re-plating company often mentioned on here at an ATOC rally. I was told I was nearly 400 kg over my 3,800 kg limit at the time! When I got home I found a weighbridge at a local farm and (after replicating the loading as near as I could) came in 200 kg UNDER!

The farm supplied me a copy of their calibration certificate which showed at 2,000 kg and 4,000 kg test weights their weighbridge was accurate to their allowed tolerance of +/- 20 kg (it was actually a 45,000 kg weighbridge so I was right at the lower end of their range).

If you are actually at 3,760 kg then you may need to look at re-plating to remain legal or go on a serious diet!

Keith.

Rapido’s English-language technical-specification brochure for motorhomes in the their 2016 Collection quotes - for the 665F model - a gross vehicle weight (for the Ducato ‘light chassis’ version) of 3500kg or 3650kg, and an "unladen weight in running order” of 3005kg.

The brochure includes the following advice:

REMEMBER

When purchasing a RAPIDO, the

unladen weight includes the weight

of the vehicle's standard equipment.

The unladen weight of motorhomes

is determined in compliance with the

laws currently in force and includes

the vehicle in working order, the driver

(75 kg), the gas bottle, fresh water

(20 L) and fuel tanks up to 90 % of their

capacity with a tolerance of +/-5 %. All of

our vehicles are certifi ed in accordance

with Regulation 1230/2012.

It is therefore the responsibility of the

user to adjust the load and the number

of passengers on board according to the

permissible GVW, the payload and the

weight of any additi onal equipment

he installed or has had installed in the

vehicle.

For a UK-specification 665F model the "unladen weight in running order” of 3005kg will increase to around 3035kg as a result of the ‘UK Pack’ (gas-oven, carpets, etc.) and by a further 35kg when a 2.3litre motor is opted for. (The standard motor for the 2016 model-year was a 2.0litre powerplant.)

A 665F is actually quite substantial (7.39m long) but a weight of 3760kg sounds like a lot. Best to get the vehicle reweighed (overall weight and axle weights) at a local weighbridge to check...

It might be worth contacting your local Trading Standards and asking them if they can point you to a recently tested weighbridge. Then contact the weighbridge operator to verify their charge and that they will issue you with a weighbridge certificate (they should), and explain that you want to get the laden weight if your motorhome plus the laden axle loads. This should replicate the procedure for a delivery of bulk goods, where the full vehicle is weighed on arrival, delivers its load, and is weighed again empty on departure - the difference between the two weights being the weight of the delivered load.

So, van central on platform for first weight, then take the front wheels just off the platform to leave the rear axle as close as possible to the centre of the platform, for the second weight. First weight (A) = Actual Laden Weight, second weight (B) = weight of rear axle, and A - B = weight of front axle (which the weighbridge should calculate).

To check whether your van is overloaded in its actual running trim, it is essential to have the van fully laden for this procedure.

As above, there is a permitted tolerance on weighbridge accuracy, so getting to a recently tested weighbridge should ensure an accurate measure. A heavyside builders merchant will probably be a good bet, as their weighbridge operators are usually familiar with both bulk deliveries and bulk collections (sand, aggregates etc.), so should know how to set up the weighbridge for either eventuality.

Thanks, all that done previously, even this time I had total, front then rear weights but they still add up to 3769kg. The only difference between this weigh and the previous weigh is weighing stations and having the bikes in. The bikes with batteries weigh about 45kg and I took out the heavy chairs and they weighed about 21kg so only about an extra 24kgs. The only answer is another weigh where I had it done previous.

stevec176 - 2021-06-19 4:14 PM

he only answer is another weigh where I had it done previous.

And ask for a copy of their calibration certificate so you can work out the maximum possible error at your quoted weight.

Keith.

There are a few earlier forum threads that have discussed the accuracy of weighbridges and how best to weigh a motorhome.

This link appeared in a 2016 thread but may still be useful

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/weighing-vehicles-for-enforcement-consolidated-code-of-practice/consolidated-code-of-practice-enforcement-weighing-of-vehicles

I use a weighbridge near home in a quarry and twice I have gone and found the weights and measures team there. They use an artic with massive weights akin to the grocers weights of old. The 60 ton weightbridge was just 40kgs out at the total weight , so I feel pretty confident about using ti.

Check out your local Council to see if they have a weighbridge. My Council (Gateshead) have a weighbridge just outside of their Metrology Laboratory that they run for themselves and in conjunction with other neighbouring Councils. As it is at a Metrology centre, it should be accurate. :D

When we lived in Norfolk and had weight issues with an Autotrail Cheyenne there were, at that time, three local weighbridges and they all recorded different axle and total weights with quite large discrepencies.

If the 'overload' had been border line this could have been used to advantage.

Try more than one wieghbridge!

stevec176 - 2021-06-23 11:10 AM

Just had the van weighed again locally and without 2 bikes and only 1 pax the gross weight is 3400kg so with bikes and pax that will come to 3519kg, I can live with that, phew.

But, did you check the axle loads as well? You can be penalised for exceeding axle loads alone, even if the overall is within limits. Besides which, if an axle is overloaded, it is probable that the tyres on that axle will be at, or over, their safe operating limits, potentially raising the risk of overheating and blow-out.

Archived