Puncturesafe

rooster63

Recently bought a 2nd hand campervan, a PJB Baccs which is based on a Citroen relay. Unfortunately when the van was converted the cradle under the van for the spare wheel was removed to accommodate the fresh water tank so the van was supplied with a pressurised puncture sealant kit. Wondering about having Puncturesafe added to the tyres which is supposed to instantly seal up any punctures caused by nails etc. , hopefully avoiding a blow out. Has anybody got any opinions on whether they work or not?

I know some folk worry that it may mask the fact there is a nail in the tyre which may cause more damage but I do tend to check the tyres regularly so that isn't too much of an issue.

I have had puncture safe in my motorhome and car and also bought some to put in the three wheelbarrows we have at home. It works very well especially on the wheelbarrows as they are always getting punctures.

I found a nail in my care tyre which I removed, the air came out, but you do have to drive around to get the puncture safe to find the hole. Then put some air in the tyre and that should be it.

I lost count of how many punctures I had in the wheelbarrow due to thorns etc. normally found the next day with a flat tyre but just pull the thorn out, pump it up and that's it till the next one.

I also fitted the TPMS to the car & motorhome (not the wheelbarrow) which gives you peace of mind.

I was involved in the original trial of these type of products and they never did work....however it didn't stop them being marketed.

Some people swear by them with the comment ....'I haven't had a puncture for years'!

By the way I did have a puncture in1991 (about!) but it has been the only one since 1958.

Perhaps if I had believed the marketing people I could have been saved from that particular event??????

EJB - 2016-09-13 12:34 PM

I was involved in the original trial of these type of products and they never did work....however it didn't stop them being marketed.

Some people swear by them with the comment ....'I haven't had a puncture for years'!

By the way I did have a puncture in1991 (about!) but it has been the only one since 1958.

Perhaps if I had believed the marketing people I could have been saved from that particular event??????

That's interesting,

my car tyre which had the nail in it has been running for about a year now with no loss of pressure......maybe they have invented one that works since then!

You never know when you buy these things if they do what they claim to, but my thought was for the relatively small cost to purchase it could save me running on a flat and wrecking the tyre.

I have lots of building work going on at the moment and the amount of time it has saved me fixing punctures on the wheelbarrows was worth it alone. Your are correct and you will never know if you haven't had a puncture for years but I have and it has worked for me. It could be I am the only one it has worked for.

Each to their own!

Interesting comment from someone involved in the original testing of the product. I've never been a fan of this type of product. However, it might be good for off-roading through deserts where thorns penetrating the tyre tread is a big problem.

I suspect the worst type of tyre failure, resulting in a blow-out, is from sidewall damage or splitting of the sidewall from ageing. In which case you'd need a new tyre and possibly rim anyway.

In the meantime, I'll just carry the Fiat aerosol thingy + spare wheel + 12v Ring 900 RAC compressor.

It does work so perhaps things have improved since 1991.You can see the stuff work in demonstrations at shows and, while this does not replicate road conditions, it does show that a nail in a tyre can be sealed. I have used Punctureseal in motorhomes since 2003 and my two punctures in France and Spain have been sealed saving me massive inconvenience.

As I said...many swear by it....that is until the puncture has to be repaired....I understand that it is not possible to repair a contaminated tyre?

However some tyre depots do effect repairs.

If it brings peace of mind I have no problems with it.

All I will say is ...picture a car with pre introduced sealant travelling for many miles and variable speeds with a nail/bolt/piece of metal(?) in the tyre.....the driver often doesn't know!

Where the sealant is inserted to repair a tyre it is strongly suggested by the manufacturer to drive under 50 MPH and change the tyre as soon as possible.

PS. My interest was from the early 70's and onwards!

EJB - 2016-09-13 3:50 PM

I notice at least one driver is happy to travel with the odd nail in a tyre *-) :-D

In my reply I stated it has been running with no loss of pressure a year after removing the nail...Also the puncture safe can just be washed off with water if you take the tyre off. The only problem you will have if you take it to the garage is they will have a hard job trying to find the puncture if there is no air loss.

I am giving my honest opinion to someone who is using the same product.

EJB - 2016-09-13 3:50 PM

I notice at least one driver is happy to travel with the odd nail in a tyre *-) :-D

Not really. It's more a question of not having a puncture in the middle of the night on a narrow street in Spain or on the Autoroute where changing a wheel is massively inconvenient and potentially dangerous. Of course Punctureseal cannot give you 100% protection but, on the balance of probabilities, it does give some reassurance.

I've used it on a motorcycle and it kept the tyre pressure up after picking up a large bit of metal up at motorway speeds, saving the tyre from a blow out. The tyre then went flat the next day.

I'd avoid using it on alloy wheels as it caused corrosion.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Archived