REALLY Frustrated

Albertslad

The above should read “Really frustrated” but the Out and about software seems determined to make life difficult these days. It’s taken me ages to get a new thread to this point.

I’v mentioned This to “admin” and Rachel has promised to bring this up at a planning meeting. Apparently improvement of the forums has been considered, maybe pre Covid?

I’ll be surprised if I’m the only one having issues, but surprised not to hear from others.

I am experiencing all sorts of “clunky” behaviour, windows zooming in and out, erratic typing and other behaviour that discourages participation.

I hope some money can be found for maintenance if not development, but I guess there are not that many participants.

I shall see how the next couple of weeks go, maybe a little break is in order.

We’ll see,

Bye for now

Albertslad - 2021-09-01 5:31 PM

The above should read “Really frustrated” but the Out and about software seems determined to make life difficult these days.

I shall see how the next couple of weeks go, maybe a little break is in order.

We’ll see,

The grammar police man will correct the spelling dreckly or would if I did it.

Don't let them grind you down keep posting

Keithl - 2021-09-01 6:23 PM

I've managed to correct your thread title but have to add that I am not having any problems like you mention so not sure what is wrong.

Keith.

I'm getting lots of problems -eg if I click a topic more often than not the banner ad opens! And quite often the screen freezes.

Jeremy

laimeduck - 2021-09-01 6:52 PM

I'm getting lots of problems -eg if I click a topic more often than not the banner ad opens! And quite often the screen freezes.

Jeremy

Ah, I'm runner an ad blocker (uBlock) so don't see ad's and don't get the consequential problems from them!

Warners have had problems with ad's before so contact the admin via the link at the bottom of the page and report. Try to identify which ad's are causing the problem to help them fix it.

Keith.

Ok, I think most of the problems are related.

When forum first opens, be it in Motorhomes Matters or somewhere else, it opens half screen width, in portrait format.

If I change to landscape and adjust so thatI can read text, all hell breaks loose,

If I stay in portrait and zoom in, ditto.

This happens when typing a response, or whilst in full flow composing a reply, and it’sdifficult To keep one’s

Train of thought (Whoops there it goes again)

Once started this carries on until I quit.

I’m using an iPad generally

Alan,

I normally use a laptop with uBlock as I said above but every so often I use my iPhone so should be similar activity to your iPad and what I have noticed is if I try to zoom or reply, etc, before the adverts have fully loaded then as you put it 'all hell breaks loose'!!!

Try waiting for the screen and more importantly ALL the adverts to fully load before doing anything else. A slow internet connection will exacerbate this problem even more! I now remember having exactly this problem when trying to view the forum at the Malvern MH show where internet access was beyond dire! I actually gave up for the remainder of the weekend it was that bad.

Keith.

The problems began a few weeks back and are very noticeable when I access the forums via my elderly iMac desktop (less so using my younger iPad or iPhone).

The delay between initiating an action and it actually happening can be tediously long - I suspect It's due to the way adverts are now displayed.

(OK at the moment using IPad in hotel with fast WiFi in Dorchester.)

I have also noticed this problem - on a Win 10 PC using an FTTC internet connection. The ads interfere with the loading of the forum screens, and at times "capture" the cursor so that the ad is pulled down instead of the required forum page.

As Derek says, it was OK until a few weeks back, so I assume something has been changed governing display of the ads. I guess it might be a change Warners have introduced themselves, or a change introduced by a third party advertising provider. I assume some at Warners will know.

The problem SEEMED to result from the ‘banner’ advert above the forum entries and the adverts on the right-hand side of the forum entries continually changing. I think this ’scrolling’ interfered with the forum’s elderly software causing delays when people were trying to use the forum in the time-honoured manner. My elderly iMac was badly affected (with it occasionally suggesting I close the forum page I was working on as it was stretching the machine’s capability) but my iPad and iPhone were less affected and the speed of the internet connection also seemed to have a bearing.

The scrolling frequency of the adverts now seems to have reduced and, although there are still more ‘delays’ in using the forum than before, my iMac seems happier.

I’m not sure if an adblocker would ‘cure’ this issue - as long as the forum’s software allows changing adverts (that I doubt anybody takes a blind bit of notice of) the problem is likely to persist.

(Perhaps a widespread migration to the motorhome section of the Practical Caravan forum might now be considered, as that’s free-to-use, has up-to-date software with an effective word processor and attaching links and photos is straightforward. Not an option for Chatterboxers though.)

I use the Brave browser on my Samsung tablet and it's very effective at suppressing adverts (I don't see any!) but the forum still opens half width in portrait mode, but once I rotate to landscape and resize I don't have any further problems. So maybe that suggests the adverts are the problem?

Derek Uzzell - 2021-09-03 8:59 AM

I’m not sure if an adblocker would ‘cure’ this issue

Well I use Google Chrome and run uBlock and do not see any adverts or have any of the issues others are reporting so am pretty well convinced the ads are the problem.

Keith.

Keithl - 2021-09-03 10:24 AM

Derek Uzzell - 2021-09-03 8:59 AM

I’m not sure if an adblocker would ‘cure’ this issue

Well I use Google Chrome and run uBlock and do not see any adverts or have any of the issues others are reporting so am pretty well convinced the ads are the problem.

Keith.

There is some online stuff about Google’s Chrome browser being twiddled some time ago to better handle ‘high demand’ adverts - so your use of Chrome and uBlock might well deal with the problem being complained about above.

I’m using Apple’s Safari browser (an out-of-date version) on my old iMac and no ad-blocker, so I’m probably as vulnerable to this issue as anyone.

My iMac has Chrome loaded on it (though I normally use Safari) so I might try Chrome to see if that improves matters.

In practice, I can live with what’s happening on the O&AL forums, though I’d rather it didn’t happen.

(Experimentation has shown that Chrome seems to be no better than Safari for me...)

Archived