REMIS BLINDS

noble1

I have purchased a New Chausson motorhome, with the new Ford Transit Cab, when placing the order I also ordered a set of Remis Blinds, I picked up the vehicle four weeks ago and have enjoyed the trips we have been on - my blinds have now arrived, however I am hearing stories of regret from other owners - can anyone shed any light on their apparent problems namely : Noise and their Flimsy construction.

I have asked the motorhome suppliers if I could cancel the order obviously prior to fitting, however they have refused this request. Are they in their rights to do so ?

Mark

They provide very good black-out. We had them on our last two vans over 7 years in total and they were both in good condition when the vans were sold on: one after 2 years (so not surprising) and the other after 5 years. There was an occasional rattle from the passenger's side blind on the second van, but a bit of packing around the blind frame eliminated that. They are not insulating blinds, so won't prevent condensation on cold weather and, although light coloured, do not reject a lot of heat if in sun. However, they are useful in protecting the interior against UV, so give some protection from fade. They would damage easily if handled carelessly, but normal care in use should ensure they last for years, so I wouldn't describe them as flimsy.

WE have these blinds as supplied on our Burstner from new 8 years ago. We use the van a great deal in all seasons, both Uk and Abroad, and they are still looking good as new.

They do give some insulation we find,but in the depths of winter additionally use the insulated external Taylor-made blinds across the main cab window if staying on a site for more than a couple of nights..

In summer - if in a very hot climate as in south of France (!) - then additionally we use a single non-insulated external cover, but on the whole for short stays we find the internal blind more than adequate. The extra blinds ore more to give greater coverage externally, as the Remis one obviously don't cover the black dashboard top which does get very hot.

They are also very useful to simply pull across when parking up in car-parks etc in the daytime.

The only rattle we have is from the frame on the drivers side door, and the only way I have found to reduce/stop this is stuff the gap between this and the actual door frame with fabric or something soft like that.

Overall, we, wouldn't be without them...so much easier than curtains or having to use silver screen in or out all the time.

Very pleased with them, six years old now, occasional rattles from the frames, but quite sturdy. Supplemented by silver screens when too hot or cold. But quick to close for normal use. A minority of folk will always complain about something, but those who are satisfied just keep quiet and get on with it.

Both our motorhomes had pleated blinds in cassettes each side of the windscreen; I presume these are what you are talking about. In the Hymer I think they were Remis and they were very good, no noise and easy to use.

I think the ones on our Carthago are Dometic but not sure. They are also in a cassette and slide easily across and back. They keep out the sunlight so the interior doesn't fade. They are good and not at all flimsy.

I don't think you will have a problem, in fact, I think you will love them once they are fitted.

The design of “REMIfront” cab-blinds varies from make-to-make and model-to-model, as will be apparent from the Ford Transit-related technical data sheet available here:

http://www.remimobil.de/en/produkte/fahrerhausverdunklung/remifront-fuer-ford-transit.html

I’m not familiar with the REMIfront blinds for the latest Transit Mk 8 but, if two blinds are used for the side windows (as was the case with Transit Mk 6s and Mk 7s) this will complicate using interior insulated screens on those windows.

As has already been advised some noise from the blinds can occur when driving but - once again - that largely depends on the particular design of blind involved and how well they have been installed. The REMIfront blinds on my 2005 Transit Mk 6-based Hobby motorhome did not rattle, but a good deal of care needed to be taken to avoid damage when closing and opening the blinds on the cab’s small front side windows. A revised blind system was used for the front side windows of Transit Mk 7s (like Brian’s Hobby) that should have made damage less likely.

I notice that ‘flimsiness’ is occasionally mentioned on motorhome forums

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=remis+blinds+flimsy

but it would be naive to expect this type of system to have the strength and durability of wooden window shutters! Using the cab side-window blinds needs more care than, say, using pleated blinds on habitation-area windows and it might be wise to keep young children and/or dogs away from REMIfront blinds to minimise the chance of accident damage. The blinds won’t take rough handling, but that should be plain to anyone who has seen them.

(I’m a mite surprised that - having ordered a set of REMIS blinds for his motorhome - Mark should think the vendor would do other than refuse his request to cancel that order now that the blinds have been delivered.)

(I’m a mite surprised that - having ordered a set of REMIS blinds for his motorhome - Mark should think the vendor would do other than refuse his request to cancel that order now that the blinds have been delivered.)

Derek - Thank you for your comments its much appreciated, the advice I have received regarding the return of off the shelf ( i.e. not manufacture specifically for myself) unused items bought unseen, is that the consumer has a legal right to refuse the product - should the product not be fit for purpose. This product is an off the shelf product that I was recommended to buy - by the salesperson. If the experience of others was shown to have been negative I would refuse this item and I would recompense the dealer for any reasonable costs he has occurred in ordered and returning the parts.

Regards

Mark

Hi, I have just fitted Remis blinds to my Chausson on a ford transit Mk8. The best thing I have fitted, they sure beat drawing curtains. Yes they look flimsy but just take care when using them. (Just remember if it wasn’t for Remis it would be curtains for us all.)

We fitted them ourselves to our last van, and they came fitted on our 2013 Autocruise, I think they are very tidy , no rattles and look very good, we don't use the van in the winter months but cover the windscreen outside with a silver screen, they keep the sun out and the van cooler in the summer.

They don't rattle at all in this van the last one the side one used to vibrate which we soon sorted with a bit of elastic and Velcro.

denkate - 2015-07-29 2:36 PM

Hi, I have just fitted Remis blinds to my Chausson on a ford transit Mk8. The best thing I have fitted, they sure beat drawing curtains. Yes they look flimsy but just take care when using them. (Just remember if it wasn’t for Remis it would be curtains for us all.)

Wise words mate :D

• 2 years later...

I think the Remis blinds on our van are are really good practical extra and I would always have them. They do appear to be a bit flimsy but if you open and close them carefully they are no problem. As an example, I have found that if you try open the side blinds too quickly the blind folds can pop out of the runners although they are fairly easy to tease back in. The blind on the passenger door developed a bit of a rattle which, as others have said, was easily cured by pushing in a strip of that matting you use in cupboards. They are so easy to pull across in the evening or if in a car park to block out the sun and must be far better than curtains or stick on blinds.

As to changing the basis of your order I would think it might depend on how late you changed your mind in the build or delivery schedule and how accommodating the supplier was feeling. We changed our order by omitting a rear bike rack and adding alloy wheels but this was early in the schedule and was not a problem. My view is that suppliers should try to accommodate changes if at all possible and if there is a cost involved they should be up front about it as surely long term customer satisfaction counts for something.

I assume internal remis blinds are useful , particularly in the summer. However I never used them on my previous van or our current van.

If you have a sat nav and or dashcam stuck to the windscreen you cannot shut them fully.

They do not stop condensation either.

We fitted Remis blinds to our PVC and find them to be very good. We have always used external 'Silverscreen' type insulating covers outside on our previous vans and also this van, however my wife has always been concerned that as the Silverscreen has a turn down top with net behind that allows you to see out without having to remove the blind that it could be turned down by someone with 'prying' eyes, or be blown open in bad wind, this is a hangover from her younger days when caravanning, due to a peeping tom. Our previous vans had an inside cab curtain but our PVC was supplied only with internal Thermal Pads, so fitting the Remis blinds has made the whole van feel more secure as well as protected from the light and near perfect blackout at night.

Having now fitted and used them for three years we have found that abroad in warmer climates we don't need to use the Silverscreens and they are so quick and easy to open and close in seconds that they fit in with our style of motorhoming. They do appear sort of flimsy but we have had no problems at all, I guess if you were a careless heavy handed type they could be made to damage but they seem up to the job for us.

Initially we had a couple of rattles from the side frames but that was soon cured by running a bead of silicone along the top edge of the cassette where it contacted the door and was vibrating against it at cruising speed, just sufficient to make a cushion not to stick it semi permanently.

Myself I would just go ahead and fit them, you only have to look at some second hand vans to see how the interiors get 'mullered' by careless users!!

Bas

Don636 - 2018-02-27 10:13 PM

...As to changing the basis of your order I would think it might depend on how late you changed your mind in the build or delivery schedule and how accommodating the supplier was feeling...

This is a 2015 thread revived yesterday by ‘Latent' asking about Taylormade binds.

Besides the Taylormade products, a number of manufacturers offer external (and internal) cab-glass insulating blinds and - as well as the concertina-type made by Remis - Dometic produces the FP 200 system shown here:

https://www.dometic.com/en-gb/uk/products/climate/windows-and-doors/blinds/dometic-fp-200-_-24861

https://www.dometic.com/en-gb/uk/products/climate/windows-and-doors/blinds/dometic-fp-200-_-24809

Dometic’s “Duette” honeycomb material is used, which ought to provide better insulation.

A windscreen roller-blind is also marketed by Dometic (example here)

https://www.dometic.com/en-gb/uk/products/climate/windows-and-doors/blinds/dometic-frontrollo-_-24736

Our Mk7 Transit had Remis blinds and yes they rattled on the drivers side a bit but a bit of pushing back into place often stopped it. We have just purchased a 2017 Fiat Dethleffs with the modern single side Remis blinds and as the drivers side was rattling, so I investigated and saw that the top fixing screw had not been screwed into the door frame but was under the edge of the door frame, so now to return to the supplier for correct fitting.

But they are effective for privacy and keeping the inside darker.

• 8 months later...

Suggest you email REMIS to see if there are English-language fitting instructions for the blinds you’ve just obtained and, if so, whether they can send/email those instructions to you.

https://remimobil.de/en/kontakt.html

(I’ve contacted REMIS by email in the past (in English) and found them very accommodating.)

Otherwise, if the instructions you have include adequate photos/drawings, type the (presumably) German text into an on-line translator. This may garble some of the technical wording, but the result plus the drawings/photos may be sufficient for you to approach DIY-fitting confidently.

Archived