Radios

Guest jeffrey

Can anyone out there reccomend a good small sized short wave radio receiver to get the BBC World Service across Europe? I have a Sony ICF-SW100, but find it pretty useless --even with an additional ariel. Also where can I find broadcasting times and frequencies?

Guest Will Redfearn, Wirral Motorhome Club
Try the Roberts radio range. Some European centres do broadcast BBC World service on FM and local programming from the BBC on Mediyum wave. Worldspace satellite radio also receives english language programmes.

Guest Keith T
Hi Jeffrrey, a somewhat late response as I have only just read your message. I also have the SOny, and generally have found this excellent. However, I think the problem may be with BBC World, as until this year I have always found, even on the Med, good reception at most times of the day on SW 12095. This year reception was, at best, spasmodic and usually eraly evening only, and frequently not obtainable at any time. No other BBC World frequencies seemed to work. R4 on 198 LW was Ok, but only to approx midway down through France.

Guest Keith T
SOrry sent the above bit before reading the whole of your message. As to programmes on BBC WOrld, these used to be listed in Radiuo Times, but I notice they have disappeard recently. I think there has been a general reduction by BBC of this service, and perhaps this explains the diffciulty in obtaining the bradcats abroad. I suggest that if you look on BBC website, there may be more details of programme etc. Hope this helps.

Guest jeffrey
hello Keith, Many thanks for your reply. I have now got some more info on frequencies etc from the BBC as you suggested--they do have a lot of useful info.

Guest Will Redfearn, Wirral Motorhome Club
The World service schedule which lists the programmes only are in the Radio Times in the radio section. It can be recieved on DAB and Satellite as well as SW and FM. The Roberts range of radios can give you the many bands to pick up the World Service. My radio was bought from John Lewis inc. Waitrose. I have used it around the world as well as Europe. If you contact the World service with your intended dates of travel they will send you a complimentary copy of their magazine as well as frequencies. Another publication is the World radio a Tv handbook c£16.00 pub by Billboard which does what it says on the cover. also the World Radio Listeners Guide.

Archived