Re-commissioning (at last!)

Conrad

Hi all,

finally, I'm de-de-commissioning the motor caravan after winter then C-19.

Apart from going though my list of things to do to take it out of service, and undoing them, are there any not so obvious things to look at or do?

I'm sure if you are just reversing the decommissioning list then you'll pick up most items but then go for a short stay to find out what you have missed. It's what we do and there's always something we forgot, but nothing major. Happy touring but stay safe we don't want to be back at the beginning again.

Our MH has been stored since last November, when we had it serviced so it would be stored with clean engine oil etc and the engine hasn’t been started since then. The fuel tank was full. The water and waste tanks were emptied prior to this and it was parked on EHU by the side of the house with mouse traps set.

So, I think the batteries will be OK (the voltages have stayed at 13.7/8) and I don’t anticipate difficulty starting but we’ll see. I’m getting the MOT done towards the end of next month and I’ve already checked the lights and horn. The tyre pressures will be checked and hopefully they won’t feel lumpy for more than the first few warm up miles.

But it will stay SORNed until we have a definite plan to start touring again, we’re not planning anything in July and maybe not until we get a vaccine because we usually go abroad and I will want to be confident about the corona virus risks. Then I’ll rinse and fill the water, then test the water heating and the shower, toilet, SOG fan, fridge (on mains and gas), check the windows and roof lights all open, test the cooking job - and everything else to make sure it still works, such as the TV. And maybe we will take a short, local test night stop somewhere.

Guest pelmetman
StuartO - 2020-06-30 6:11 PM

Our MH has been stored since last November, when we had it serviced so it would be stored with clean engine oil etc and the engine hasn’t been started since then. The fuel tank was full. The water and waste tanks were emptied prior to this and it was parked on EHU by the side of the house with mouse traps set.

So, I think the batteries will be OK (the voltages have stayed at 13.7/8) and I don’t anticipate difficulty starting but we’ll see. I’m getting the MOT done towards the end of next month and I’ve already checked the lights and horn. The tyre pressures will be checked and hopefully they won’t feel lumpy for more than the first few warm up miles.

But it will stay SORNed until we have a definite plan to start touring again, we’re not planning anything in July and maybe not until we get a vaccine because we usually go abroad and I will want to be confident about the corona virus risks. Then I’ll rinse and fill the water, then test the water heating and the shower, toilet, SOG fan, fridge (on mains and gas), check the windows and roof lights all open, test the cooking job - and everything else to make sure it still works, such as the TV. And maybe we will take a short, local test night stop somewhere.

Your tyres maybe square on the bottom ;-) .........

But I doubt it :D .......

As that only happened to Horace when I left him in storage for 18 months :$ ..........

Archived