Re-plating loss to motorhomers

david lloyd

Just read on another forum that John Ruffles who provided an alternative (and cheaper) service for re-plating than SVtech passed away in February. The post was by a member who was informed directly by the family when he rang recently to enquire about re-plating his motorhome.

David

• 1 month later...
Hi, I have had confirmation from SV-tech that they can uprate my van but can only accept a cheque or BACS payment. BACS I understand is used by scammers. I Do not believe that the site that I am dealing with is a scam site of SV-tech but if anyone has paid this way to SV-tech please let me know. Thanks, Pop.

poplakin - 2021-04-14 9:48 AM

BACS I understand is used by scammers.

I pay a great deal of stuff via BACS, it’s what is used if you pay by cheque (processed by BACS) or if you pay online direct from your bank account. If you have an online account as I suspect you do, SVTech will give you their bank details and you transfer to their account the appropriate amount of money and if it’s under £10,000 it’s ‘instantaneous’. Totally secure as you’re the one specifying the amount of money and to whom it should go – unless of course you type in the incorrect target account number – and in theory there are checks to avoid that scenario.

Hi Derek, thanks for the answer. have phoned them but on the number on the site logged on to. Was pretty sure that it was logit but the scammers are getting extremely clever at copying legit site front pages so like to check as much as possible these days. Thanks again for reply. Pop.

poplakin - 2021-04-14 9:48 AM

Hi, I have had confirmation from SV-tech that they can uprate my van but can only accept a cheque or BACS payment. BACS I understand is used by scammers. I Do not believe that the site that I am dealing with is a scam site of SV-tech but if anyone has paid this way to SV-tech please let me know. Thanks, Pop.

When you set up a payment on line in your bank account to someone new the system asks for the actual name of the person or business. This is correlated to the bank account and sort code and will only proceed when everything matches.

I paid SvTech this way in 2019 with no problems. Bank transfer is a normal way to make payments . I even use a form of it to pay the German weinkeller for my Mosel wine.

I have paid SV tech twice via backs, no worries. When you set it up it will check the companies details are correct before you can send money. If you are unsure if you say fill in the incorrect account number by 1 digit it will tell you it is wrong.

Archived