Re set oil change light - is it DIYable?[

ColinM50

Had my oil change in May, something I do every year whether it needs it or not (M/H has only done 14,000 miles and this was the second oil change), I'm just a believer in fresh oil and filter. Local Peugeot dealer can't fit i in his workshop and nearest one that can fit it just says leave it with us for the day and we'll get round to it - not the most useful way to spend a day.

So, I bought the oil and filter from the local Peugeot dealer and got a mobile mechanic to change it for me. He tried to reset/zero the oil warning light, but each time I switch on I get a "Change Engine Oil" warning come up on the dash. It goes off after 30secs but it's a bit annoying. Not asked mobilemech to fix it, but is it something I can do to save bothering him over what will no doubt be a 20 second fix?

TIA

My Fiat-based MH is an older model of Ducato than yours but it does have a way of resetting the maintenance reminder when you switch on - and the way to do it is described in the Ducato User Handbook. Have a look in yours and you might get a pleasant surprise.

I used to reset mine but eventually I got more fed up of looking up how to do it than putting up with the unwanted reminder!

Whilst it isn't (AFAIK) possible to do this reset on a (post-2007) Ducato without technical intervention (e.g. Using Multiecuscan or dealer software), the Peugeot Boxer is a different beast.

According to numerous postings, the procedure detailed here can be used to (easily) reset the oil change warning:

Suppressing the oil-change warning message and light was discussed here

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Oil-Change-or-not-/48689/31/

In the ‘brom’ posting of 15 February 2018 12:19 PM on that forum thread Andrew Bromley said that he

...re-set the oil counter, which now reads 31,750 miles. The warning lights have disappeared.

The procedure is:

Ignition on, press accelerator pedal to floor and keep it there.

Depress brake pedal and keep it there.

Hold for about half a minute, while Change Engine Oil scrolls across screen, until it stops appearing.

Switch ignition off.

Switch ignition back on, and after a few seconds, check your Oil Miles counter.

Job done!

Andrew’s motorhome then was based on a Citroen Relay with Euro 6 motor and a (Citroen) build-date of around August 2016, so his advice should also apply to a 2017 Peugeot Boxer as that vehicle should have the same motor.

(When I asked a Fiat Professional agent if there was an equivalent procedure that couid be used with recent Ducatos, he confirmed Robin’s understanding that a similar reset for a Ducato needs a software intervention.)

Derek Uzzell - 2019-07-22 7:32 AM

(When I asked a Fiat Professional agent if there was an equivalent procedure that couid be used with recent Ducatos, he confirmed Robin’s understanding that a similar reset for a Ducato needs a software intervention.)

Although I have not tried it, since I use diagnostic equipment to reset the oil counter, the following procedure is described in the Ram Promaster technical manual (the version of the Ducato sold by FCA in North America):

Switch the ignition on, without starting the engine.

Slowly fully depress and fully release the accelerator pedal three times within 10 seconds.

Turn the ignition off.

If the Change Engine Oil message is displayed the next time that the engine is started, the procedure should be repeated up to a maximum of three times.

Archived