Realistic Discount on new Motorhomes ?

Kennyd

Hi all , I think this is my first post , I have been following this site for some time amassing information ready for my first purchase of a motorhome , I am now getting ready to buy , I would like to know what % of discount I can expect off the list price of a new MH , Also options these seem to be way overpriced so perhaps more % discount is available on these , I guess it may vary from manufacturer , I’m am currently looking at A Swift Kontiki & a Dethleffs , both are about £80-85,000 list price , if anybody has any experience with this I would be greatfull for the help , regards kenny

I have to say that I wish you luck, you will need it! Dealers do not discount and will fight tooth and nail to avoid it.

You might have a bit better luck with, say, last years model or something that "ex demo" or something.

Have you considered something about 18 months or 2 years old? The chance of a good deal is much greater on used deals.

H

I cannot agree about no discounts around, just buy the latest motor home magazines, MMM a good start, plenty of discounts on new vans listed. We have been looking around recently and most dealers seem to have good deals around. Good time of year to buy as well, unlike cars which peak on new registration time motor home season is different with dealers sales dropping off towards the end of the summer season.

Discounts rely on the dealer's need to, so when they are over stocked with new vans, or when the model year changes with different colours or Euro 6 emissions and they have last years vans in stock is often a good time but whilst some might advertise 'clearance' prices (often around Aug / Sept / Oct time of year) more often than not you only find out by asking which can be a time consuming but possibly rewarding occupation.

The further you buy from home the more irritating faults become as you may well have to return to the selling dealer for warranty work.

Other than what I read on here, I have no idea how well or badly made new vans are these days but they do not appear to have the best reputation for being aggravation free.

Some folk buy abroad with Belgium I believe being popular for discounted prices but unless you know someone who knows how to do it I suspect that you need to be a bit wary.

Kennyd - 2018-07-29 9:50 PM

When I looked at 1-2 year old vans they didn’t seem that much of a bargain, They looked cheaper compared to today’s price but sometimes not that much cheaper than the cost when they were sold new

The advantage of buying used is that a lot of those extras will have been bought by the original buyer. Also the initial teething troubles MAY have been sorted.

Kennyd - 2018-07-29 9:25 PM

Hi all , I think this is my first post , I have been following this site for some time amassing information ready for my first purchase of a motorhome , I am now getting ready to buy , I would like to know what % of discount I can expect off the list price of a new MH , Also options these seem to be way overpriced so perhaps more % discount is available on these , I guess it may vary from manufacturer , I’m am currently looking at A Swift Kontiki & a Dethleffs , both are about £80-85,000 list price , if anybody has any experience with this I would be greatfull for the help , regards kenny

If you have no vehicle to trade in and you want to order a new motorhome rather than buy one that a dealer already has, there should be no great difficulty obtaining a discount.

There will be a price for the ‘standard’ motorhome and prices for factory-fitted ‘packages’ and upgrades and for individual extras. The norm (as far as I’m aware) would be for a dealer to total the price of the standard motorhome and any packages, upgrades and extras, and then to offer a discount on the final figure. I would have thought a discount of 5% to 10% should be achievable.

There will be charge for UK road-taxing the new motorhome and perhaps a ‘delivery' charge too.

This 2016 discussion refers

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/New-Motorhome-Can-I-expect-a-discount-with-no-p-x-/43619/

I was thinking like shaggy & Derek that I should get 5% easy & as much as 10% on stock they want to shift

The 2 MH’S I have short listed at the moment are a Kon-tiki 679 low line & a Dethleffs trend 7877-2

If I could find one about 1 year old at the right price I would consider it

Maybe look at this from a different angle.

If you are sure of the layout you like and you have tried one of similar layout to see how it works in the real world and if you know your budget seek out a van that fits both and then negotiate the actual price.

It matters not how much discount you get if the first two are wrong because you will end up not using or selling the van and selling it is where the real loss takes place.

The 2 MH’S I mentioned fit my needs & the hole point of this post is to ask others what discounts are realistically achievable so I can negotiate a good price , for over a year I have been researching info on Motorhomes & additional options to fit that I will need , I’m not sure anybody gets it 100% right with there first motorhome but I’m as ready as I’ll ever be *-)

All the research and discounts in the world will be to no avail if you don't get on with the layout so I do again suggest that you gain a modicum of experience and hire or borrow one of similar layout at least overnight and preferably a bit longer before splashing the cash.

Kennyd - 2018-07-30 3:01 PMThe 2 MH’S I mentioned fit my needs & the hole point of this post is to ask others what discounts are realistically achievable so I can negotiate a good price , for over a year I have been researching info on Motorhomes & additional options to fit that I will need , I’m not sure anybody gets it 100% right with there first motorhome but I’m as ready as I’ll ever be *-)

A few years ago a friend who knew I had a motorhome mentioned that he was planning to buy one and was doing his research. I gave him the accepted wisdom that you should not make the plunge and buy a new one without hiring or borrowing first and offered to show him ours and have a longer chat about the pitfalls.  About a year later, without previously taking up my offer he suddenly asked if he could see ours because he had ordered a new MH and thought he might learn something.  We showed him our MH and all the stuff we carry and the various stowing places which are necessary and he went pale; external lockers hadn't occured to him as necessary and the motorhome he ordered didn't have any - he was faced with cluttering up the inside with wellies and levelling ramps etc.

The cost of changing motorhomes is never going to  be less than £10,000 and will often be much more these days.  No one gets it right first time, no matter how much research you do.  We bought our third (new) twelve years ago and we're still happy with it but we'd had two used MHs both of which taught us what to look for and what to avoid.

Kennyd - 2018-07-29 9:25 PM

Hi Kenny,

If you can hang on a little while until the NEC show in October you should get a great deal from most dealers.

Three years ago I ordered a new Bessacarr 462 there and got a few thousand off plus Sat tele, swivel seat, and awing all fitted free and a good part exchange deal also.

There are lots of dealers there so shop round until you get the deal you want, (you will be surprised).

Thanks Pete , I have already booked two days at the NEC in Oct , I’ve been in hundreds of vans checking out layouts & quality even though I knew many were not what I was after but wanted a feel for all makes & layouts , although I’m ready to buy I’m in no hurry, I’ll only push the button when the MH and the price is rite , I think I’m going to have to do a 800mile round Trip to view a 7877-2 in the flesh , the nearest one to me !!! ( I live in Scotland)

Thanks Derek, the link in your post was very useful

Kennyd

Both of the motorhome models you’ve mentioned are large (particularly the Dethleffs height-wise)

Historically, both designs would have had a 3.0litre motor either as standard or optionally, but this motor was dropped in 2016 when Euro 6 powerplants were introduced for Ducato. So, for the last couple of years, new Ducato-based coachbuilt motorhomes have generally had 2.3litre motors with a 130bhp, 150bhp or 180bhp output.

https://www.fiatcamper.com/en/product/engines

You’ll need to be careful when buying a ‘biggie’ like the Swift or Dethleffs to ensure that the motor will have sufficient ‘oomph’ to make driving the vehicle (reasonably) pleasant. I notice that the Dethleffs’s specification

https://www.dethleffs.co.uk/motorhomes/trend/model/a-7877-2/

suggests that the 130bhp powerplant is standard, but you definitely would not want a Trend A7877-2 with that motor.

I think the 150bhp motor is standard for a Kon-Tiki 679, but I’m wary that this would be a wise choice for either the Swift or the Dethleffs. My Rapido has a Euro 5 version of the 150bhp 2.3litre engine and it’s fine (even quite sprightly) for a smallish, lightish motorhome, but would need to be worked hard to drag around a vehicle of the size/weight of the Swift or Dethleffs. Both really need the 180bhp motor, and it would probably be a good idea to opt for Comfort-Matic transmission too.

I'm never too bothered about capacity or bhp, as it's torque that counts with lugging heavy loads, as Derek's list shows,

https://www.fiatcamper.com/en/product/engines

modern diesel engines can produce torque equal to a Ferrari from a 2.3 engine, while being lighter and more economical each year.

A big new moho is a huge, depreciating investment, so hiring one is a relatively cheap way of avoiding an expensive mistake, and a powerful engine, possibly automatic will make the journeys easier.

The first owner of my latest vehicle tickedall the options, added more later, but did 3,000 miles in three years.

Kennyd.........on that sort of budget i'd buy in Germany where you won't need to fight for a discount because their prices are already lower than UK. A neighbour of mine bought a 'top spec' luxury 2 berth Hymer from a company there which sorts all documentation etc and even after paying import duties he'd saved thousands.

Worth mentioning though, UK insurance companies insisted on a Tracker being fitted (no doubt due to the value).

I have to agree that you should try before you buy. We didn't, but luckily had 4 happy years with our first motorhome. There is SO much to consider, and my first priority is payload, personally rear wheel drive, and plenty of storage and LHD. Our new Niesmann is due shortly, and with experience have chosen a van that will see us happy for many years to come.

As to discounts, we were offered 14% on a new Niesmann in Germany, and could possibly have done better. I hear that Morelo also will discount, but this is at the luxury end of the market, and would be left hand drive.

You have done your research, but as my old Mum used to say, "there's always another one dear"

Derek Uzzell - 2018-07-31 10:41 AM

Buying abroad normally means accepting that the motorhome will be left-hand-drive, and that it won’t be practicable to purchase a UK-built vehicle. In Kenny’s case, living in Scotland, there would also be the matter of getting the bought-abroad motorhome home.

Yes they are all LHD so if kennyd doesn't want that then it's a UK purchase. Scotland is an easy jaunt once past Birmingham but there's always the option of using North Sea ferries....something i may even consider myself in future as the motorway trek for me down to Dover port has become a nightmare drive.

Archived