Rear Door Mirror

Guest Mike Watson

Guest Mike Watson
I wish to fit a mirror to rear door of Transit conversion to assist reversing in tight spaces. As I cannot afford that provided new for Toyota Previa or Mazda Bongo, would it be practical to use a secondhand truck side door mirror for the same purpose? Would there likely to be any fitting issues? Thanks and regards, Mike.

I shall watch any suggestions your enquiry generates with interest, Mike. I have for a while thought of doing a similar thing. Having a Fiamma bike rack hung on the back of my Ducatto conversion it would seem possible to fit a lorry door mirror to the top horizontal tube of the rack. I didn't like the idea of having to drill holes in the van roof. Once a secondhand mirror is to hand from a breaker's yard some metalwork to fashion the fixing bracket would be required. I will watch this space - I am sure someone else out there has already done it. Good luck. John S

Guest David Powell
For many years I have been using a secondary inside driving mirror the type the sticks to the windscreen with a rubber sucker , vacuum style, with a convex mirror stuck on the inside of the back window at about 45 degrees. Not perfect but easy to fit without boring holes, and you can look through it via your 'vans windscreen mirror which preferably should be a flat one, as convex would not cover the distance at all well. Some thing inexpensive for you to have a go with, for starters.

Guest Mike Chapman
Hello Mike, May be worth also trying one of the "Fish Eye" lenses on the rear door. They are relatively cheap to buy and vacuum fix to the glass and can be repositioned easily. One note of caution they seriously distort (lengthen) the distance of vehicles coming from the rear. Regards, Mike Chapman.

Guest Mike Watson
Thanks for the replies so far. Hadn't really considered the inside option - will give it some thought. I have had a plastic stick-on lens thing in place for some years; it's much better than nothing, but has now gone opaque, and would like to replace it with something having an improved angle of view. Regards, Mike.

Mike The downwards-looking mirror that trucks have fitted to the top of their passenger-side doors should fit with no problems on the top of one of the rear van doors. Although they are convex you won't see much until pretty close to any obstruction so backing-up slowly is necessary. You should be able to buy a universal fitting one in any truck factors (see Yellow Pages). Regards Neal

Archived