Rear view camera glare

bob b

I fitted an Autosound 5" colour reverse system two or three years ago. When driving at night, the camera is un-useable due to glare from following vehicles headlights.It even picks up the tail lamps from my own vehicle which badly affects the monitor. As I normally tow a motorbike, I obviously like to keep an eye on it.

Does anyone else have this problem ? Is there a fix ?

I'm wondering if this is just a feature of my particular set up as I haven't read of anyone else complaining.

I have a Waeco system with 7" colour monitor that I use primarily as a 'rear-view mirror' rather than as a reversing aid. When driving at night I switch the system off as the glare from following vehicles' lights showing up on the monitor is hugely distracting.

I would have thought night-time glare is predictable and inevitable (which may be why people haven't mentioned it before) and I can't think of any way to prevent it.

I haven't tried black & white. I knew that the glare couldn't be eliminated completely, but hoped that someone had a 'dodge' to reduce it.

As Derek points out, the glare is a distraction, but I want to keep an eye on the trailer, so live with it.

dshague - 2008-12-17 7:39 PM

have you tried watching in black and white

I'm not sure how possible that would be, as most colour reversing-camera systems appear to lack the option to user-choose between colour or monochrome displays.

My Waeco system provides a colour picture above a certain outside light-level, automatically switching to a monochrome display below that level. The display is always monochrome when I'm driving at night, but this does nothing to alleviate the glare. As far as I'm aware this colour-day/monochrome-night auto-selecting arrangement is the norm.

Perhaps you could say, please, what camera system you've got that permits you to choose colour or black-and-white?

The loss of colour picture at night is not something that is selected within the electronics, it is simply that as light levels fall the colour drops off. Try this, after dark switch off all the lights in a room and then try looking around using just a ciggy lighter for illumination. If you look closely you'll be able to make out your furniture but your vision will be almost entirely monochrome.

Anyway, the glare at night is a natural function of the camera systems. It occurs because at low light levels the camera system will increase its sensitivity (some do this by opening up the aperture but most do it by slowing the electronic shutter speed) meaning that when it is presented with relatively sudden bright lights it will flare and glare.

D.

Archived