Rear view camera

Barcobird

I believe my rear view camera was fitted by the factory and not the supplying dealer. It is encased in a metal frame and screwed to the back of the motorhome on a metal frame that swivels (it's not integrated). The monitor is in the dash for camera only and not integrated with radio etc. It says LCD and has several buttons, on off, different views and option of additional cameras. There is no makers name on any of it.

Finally to my question ....given the information above can I swap the single camera for a dual one using the existing wiring?

Derek Uzzell - 2020-04-23 8:51 AM

Unless you can identify the monitor’s make and model and the camera’s make and model, I don’t see how an informed answer to your question can be provided.

(Can’t the dealership you bought your Pilote from help with this?)

TFT is the make of the monitor, there is nothing on the camera at all but assume that is TFT as well

Barcobird - 2020-04-23 9:40 AM

I have just removed the monitor from the dash and the number on the back is H-201611

Googling comes up with nothing so I suspect that is a manufacturing batch and date code - November 2016

Keith.

I’m a bit out of date on this sort of thing however as you’ve been able to remove the monitor from the dash I reckon that the connectivity into the monitor will provide a few clues. I’d expect to see power in and video in with possibly more than one video-in socket unless of course it’s digital system that multiplexes the signal over a single cable. (any chance of a picture?)

If the former (S-Video?) then if the incoming cable has a spare unused plug it would imply that the cabling harness is for two cameras. If just one plug then it will support just one camera. Incidentally, it’s also possible that there is a single video cable in to the monitor but if you trace the cable back it will split into two video in free hanging video in sockets.

If it’s a digital system then further investigation is needed.

Nowadays a Fiat Ducato-based coachbuilt motorhome's factory-fitted reversing camera system usually comprises a camera on the vehicle’s rear body-panel with the camera’s image displayed as one of the integrated functions of a double-DIN audio/video head-unit embedded in the vehicle’s centre ‘console’.

However, Barcobird has said that his Pilote does not have that arrangement and (I THINK) he has a stand-alone monitor mounted on the dashboard’s upper surface (not in the dashboard) that just displays the reversing camera’s image.

This 2015 forum thread referred to a new Pilote motorhome with an ‘unmarked’ reversing camera.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Rear-view-cameras/38234/

Waeco cameras were mentioned, but these normally carry the “WAECO” brand-name on them.

(As Bruce said above, photos of the camera and monitor might help...)

Thanks for the photos. As an aside, if they’re saved with a file extension of .jpg rather than .jpeg you’ll find that they display on the forum directly.

Any thoughts on the connectivity at the back of the video display? The display does look like a standard TFT display commonly used for reversing cameras. From the pics I’d expect a single cable out the back of the display terminated by a multiple pin din connector that plugs into a socket which may be at the end of a short adapter cable. If this is the case then if you can trace this short adapter cable you may find that it terminates at one or two sockets for the reversing camera(s) plug(s). If there are indeed two sockets and there are cables to plug in to them then we can expect these cables to run through to the reversing camera but with only one of the cables in use.

Another approach would be to check the wiring behind the existing camera from within the motorhome. It must plug into the cable harness somewhere no doubt behind a cupboard panel. Looking there will immediately reveal if there is wiring for a second camera.

This picture may give you some insight as to what you're looking for.

RearViewCamera.jpg.96dc973ecbb24b3456858dffebdb6fbc.jpg

But right-way-up is even better... ;-)

Just in case someone can identify your camera and monitor, I’ve ‘visualised’ and enhanced the photos provided in your earlier postings and added an image showing the label on the rear of the monitor (though the details on that image are still not clear).

Subject to confirmation of Keith’s question above I’d say that that looks like cabling for a two camera system.

An experiment that may reveal all would be to unplug the camera from the white/grey socket and plug it into the yellow socket.

If the yellow plug at the camera end is actually plugged in then you should be able to switch to the camera on the monitor.

I happen to have a 2018 IDYLCAR ACCESSOIRES catalogue and I wondered if Barcobird’s monitor/camera appeared there.

The catalogue has two pages devoted to Dometic systems, but none of the pictures of Dometic equipment match the photos Barcobird has provided. However, the image I’ve attached below is on one of the Dometic pages and the installation closely matches Barcobird’s Pilote's, right down to the little shelf on which the monitor sits. The picture has no direct relevance to Dometic equipment - it’s just a ‘filler' - and no details of the monitor in the picture are provided. But it does seem to indicate that Barcobird’s system was factory-fitted by Pilote rather than by a motohome dealership.

(I would have expected user-instructions to be provided for a factory-fitted motorhome reversing-camera system, and it would be normal for those instructions to identify the manufacturer of the equipment.)

monitor.jpg.21a0d59869031b86a40fa7bb33946508.jpg

There are some clever people on this forum. :-D The obvious is staring in you in the face! *-)

On the monitor I have AV1 AV2 AV3 AV4.

I removed the grey plug from the rear camera and attached the yellow one, I then selected AV1 which had gone blank on selecting AV2 the camera worked. So in theory I have the possibility of having 4 cameras.

I can now look around for a twin camera to go on the back.

Presumably any twin camera with the same 8 pin socket will do the job ? Anyone have suggestions of a make to go for, past experiences etc

Derek Uzzell - 2020-04-23 6:31 PM

I happen to have a 2018 IDYLCAR ACCESSOIRES catalogue and I wondered if Barcobird’s monitor/camera appeared there.

The catalogue has two pages devoted to Dometic systems, but none of the pictures of Dometic equipment match the photos Barcobird has provided. However, the image I’ve attached below is on one of the Dometic pages and the installation closely matches Barcobird’s Pilote's, right down to the little shelf on which the monitor sits. The picture has no direct relevance to Dometic equipment - it’s just a ‘filler' - and no details of the monitor in the picture are provided. But it does seem to indicate that Barcobird’s system was factory-fitted by Pilote rather than by a motohome dealership.

(I would have expected user-instructions to be provided for a factory-fitted motorhome reversing-camera system, and it would be normal for those instructions to identify the manufacturer of the equipment.)

When I was at the Pilote factory I enquired about the camera and they seemed reluctant to give me the name of the supplying manufacturer. I eventually got a part number out of them just for the camera that was fitted but this only made sense to an authorised Pilote dealer and not any other motorhome accessory shops. Incidentally the price for just the camera was about a tenner short of 300 euros. Me thinks a little profit maker for Pilote *-)

Barcobird - 2020-04-23 6:59 PM

Presumably any twin camera with the same 8 pin socket will do the job ?

I’ve seen 4 and 6 pin connector cameras but not 8 pin. Does the lead coming out of the camera have all 8 pins in place?

BruceM - 2020-04-23 10:10 PM

Barcobird - 2020-04-23 6:59 PM

Presumably any twin camera with the same 8 pin socket will do the job ?

I’ve seen 4 and 6 pin connector cameras but not 8 pin. Does the lead coming out of the camera have all 8 pins in place?

There are definitely 8 pins in both sockets, wether there are 8 wires I can't confirm.

Barcobird - 2020-04-23 7:05 PM

When I was at the Pilote factory I enquired about the camera and they seemed reluctant to give me the name of the supplying manufacturer. I eventually got a part number out of them just for the camera that was fitted but this only made sense to an authorised Pilote dealer and not any other motorhome accessory shops. Incidentally the price for just the camera was about a tenner short of 300 euros. Me thinks a little profit maker for Pilote *-)

I agree, particularly as neither the camera nor monitor carries any identifying brand-name.

This link is to a French advert for a complete system with a dual-lens camera and an asking price of €309

https://www.planetepleinair.com/radar-et-camera-de-recul/668-camera-de-recul-double-optique-visio-evo-dual-vechline-3613750053584.html

The system costs about a third of an equivalent Dometic system, but at least the camera and monitor both carry the “Vechline” brand-name to indicate its origin.

Archived