Rearview mirror on x290

Guest machra

Guest machra
Does anyone know how to remove the rear view mirror on the new x290. It doesn't appear to slide off like on the x250. Want to remove as I want to put a reversing monitor in its place and don't want to use a clip over monitor as I hear that they are plagued with glare issues as they have a glossy finish.

Guest machra

Can I ask where u got your monitor please. A clip on would be the easiest and neatest solution, but I had a look at Peterborough show this year and noticed the reflective glare on these monitors. Doing some internet trawling and found the following on the reversing camera webwebsite where they shown the glare

http://shop.reversingcamerasuk.com/epages/es106294.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es106294_shop/Products/MON291

I have exactly that one fitted to my new motorhome and I have used it for around five days now and haven't noticed any glare yet such a bright picture, like looking at a postcard in fact first time out, I nearly followed the road on the screen. lol

Pete

I can't comment on the X290 mirror removal but I can comment on the "over-the-mirror" monitors.

These type of monitors have to act both as a rear view mirror and a monitor. As with many things that are multi-purpose there is a compromise.

The model that we sell has a tinted front glass to reduce reflections and glare, with the consequence that the contrast level is not as great as on a standalone monitor.

We stopped selling them for a while but the demand was there so once again they are offered from our shop. Many people are very happy with the performance of the monitor so we cater for the needs.

My own view having tried many monitors in my own motorhome is as follows.

The over-the-mirror monitor is only needed if you have a rear window and wish to use the mirror function as a normal rearview mirror.

To simply use the rearview mirror as a convenient place to mount a monitor seems a bit feeble to me. The surrounding area of the windscreen will be bright, especially in sunlight, and to put a monitor with reduced contrast against a bright background will not give the best results.

The monitors are quite heavy and over time they can make the rearview mirror start to slip on its mounting. Of course the mounting can be re-tightened.

In order to reduce the amount of windscreen that is obscured these type of monitors are made elongated which stretches the image. They are a bit letterbox shaped. Most people do not notice this but the image does not look right to me.

As I say many people love this style of monitor but do consider the disadvantages.

I don't really agree that it is 'feeble' to use the free space between the sun visors, in a place where we are all accustomed to looking for our rear views, to mount a rear view/reversing monitor. Furthermore it saves having to mount it low down on the dash, perhaps partially obscuring the view ahead, and often using ugly brackets.

There is another option to using a specific clip-on monitor though; just mount a standard monitor on the existing rear view mirror. Having checked that my Waeco monitor was in fact lighter than the clip-on offerings, it took very little ingenuity to secure it to the mirror. It looks and works great.

Steve928 - 2015-06-09 4:41 PM

I don't really agree that it is 'feeble' to use the free space between the sun visors, in a place where we are all accustomed to looking for our rear views, to mount a rear view/reversing monitor. Furthermore it saves having to mount it low down on the dash, perhaps partially obscuring the view ahead, and often using ugly brackets.

There is another option to using a specific clip-on monitor though; just mount a standard monitor on the existing rear view mirror. Having checked that my Waeco monitor was in fact lighter than the clip-on offerings, it took very little ingenuity to secure it to the mirror. It looks and works great.

A good quality monitor can give good results when used in the mirror position. It will have a good contrast level unlike the dual function rear view mirror/monitor models.

....well, after adding a mirror to my 'van yesterday, I can confirm that the fitting is as I posted above.

The windscreen has a hex nut secured to it. Three (alternate) faces of the nut have small lugs on them, each to retain a spring clip on the mirror, the other three intermediate faces do not have these lugs.

The 3 spring clips on the mirror mount are slipped over the faces with no lugs (i.e. it is initially located at a 60 degree angle) and the mount is then rotated through 60 degrees such that the clips are behind the lugs.

Be aware, however, that though the plastic cover plate for the windscreen nut (which is located in the same way) removed relatively easily via the reverse of the above manoeuvre, the mirror was an absolute pig to fit. The spring clips are very strong, the shape of the mirror and mount doesn't make it the easiest to handle, and I was in fear of damaging the windscreen.

In the end, I "eased" the spring clips slightly, and also used a little washing-up liquid as a lubricant. It still required some not-inconsiderable force to finally locate it.

Removal should be somewhat easier, as you aren't trying to locate it at the same time. Rotate the mount 60 degrees anti-clockwise against the spring clips (and it will need force), and then pull away from the screen.

Edit to add:

An idea of the spring clip arrangement can be had by zooming in on the third thumbnail on this page:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2015-Fiat-Ducato-Citroen-Relay-Peugeot-Boxer-Interior-rear-view-mirror-GENUINE-/371342676181?

Guest machra
Thank you Robinhood, I have managed to remove the mirror using your instructions. I went for a normal monitor so hope to fit it in the space where the mirror was. I wonder if you know how to get the interior light off? The Fiat manual says apply pressure to the right hand side of the light, but no matter how muuc I ttry it will not clone away from the head lining. I don't want too try ttooo hard mind as I don't want to ruin the lining. I need the light off as I think I will then be able to fit the monitor fitting to the 'roof' under the headlining between the sun visors, thus installing the monitor where the miror was.

Archived