Receiving radio in France and Spain

Guest Margaret M

Guest Margaret M
Having just completed our first year as motor home owners and throughly enjoyed the experience there is one matter we thought someone may be able to help with. Last year we spent the winter in Spain and really enjoyed the trip. We did however miss the radio to hear news, sport etc. Is there any way we can receive radio programmes without going down the road of sattelite TV (we do not watch a great deal of TV) which is an expensive way to receive radio programmes from home. Your help would be much appreciated.

Guest Nick Miller
I watch no tv Margaret M so have an obvious interest in radio whilst away and abroad. Have a look at Worldspace.I have a Hitachi worldspace KH.WS1 Digital radio (about £150.from most chains.) A Google for'Worldspace' will bring up a whole range of information. Normal portable radio with a small aerial about size of 2 passports and quite a long lead. Worldspace own programming can be poor but there is a whole range of English language news broadcasts and general interest content taken from those networks wishing to contribute. The only problem is that the antenna needs clear site of the satelite and if it is placed at ground level on a shady site trees will often block the signal.You need a compass and a wander around to find your optimal position.Tell interested parties you are conducting a Feng Shui audit of the site.!! Hope that helps Nick

Guest Keith T
Hi margaret...we do havce a small multi standard TV, but for English language news rely on BBC World on Short wave. We find this varies in quality, but usually is listenable, in France at least. Also BBC R4 on 198 LW can usually be received with a decnet aerial (either on the 'van Radio, or a separate small radio) probably until around 200 miles south of the northern French coast.There are also some areas along the northern France coast where VHF radio from UK stations may be receievd.

Guest PeteC
Hi Margaret We go to Spain/Portugal for 12 weeks each year We have not been able to receive English radio programs. However we can understand enough of each language to get by with the local TV. It is not too easy at first but you do get better We now have a latop & a vodafone mobile connect card, on Pay As You GO You can pick up the Uk news as given out by BBC & ITV channels. You can also pick up the local radio stations on the internet It does cost a bit depending on the amount you down load. Otherwise some campsites are now installing WIFi systems for you to use your own laptop (one in Holland t'weergors at Helloevetsluis is installed so that you dont have to leave you rvan) at variable costs We do carry a midi HiFi system on which we play cd's and Mini Discs, whch we use to make recordings from to local radio - Austrian music, & news in Holland If anything serious came up our son would email the relevant information to us

We too travel in France and Spain and like to keep in touch with UK news and weather (so we can feel smug!!). We use a small Roberts radio, SW, LW, MW, FM. Cost about £50 We can pick up radio 4 halfway through France (to about in line with Bordeaux) on LW, and BBC world service transmissions on SW. Get transmission details from the BBC website. We don't use an external aerial, but it has been suggested that a copper wire can be very efficient, for improved SW reception. Could anyone post advice about this, please? There are also English language local radio stations broadcasting along the south coast of France and Spain on FM, but you have to listen to a lot of adverts! It is possible just to tune in for the UK news, of course, usually on the hour. Does anyone know where a list of these can be found?

Guest Steve O'Reilly
The two english language radio stations I listen to on the Costa del Sol are OCI on 101.6MHz and Spectrum FM on 105.5MHz. One of these stations also broadcasts on the Costa Brava, possibly on a different frequency. The international news they broadcast is taken from the BBC World Service. There are also BBC World Service programmes broadcast in the early morning and one of the channels broadcasts Talksport radio on a Saturday morning. A distant memory also suggests that there may be a third english language station - Wave FM. Worldspace radio used to be my preferred option for many years and I didn't find the positioning of the aerial to be difficult. Unfortunately, the channels it broadcasts which interest me are obtainable only by subscription so I no longer bother. However, the Hitachi Worldspace radio is a very effective receiver for terrestrial FM reception.

Guest Clive
OR You pick up a HF Ham reciever (or transciever), sling up a length of wire ofer an adjacent bush and listen to the BBC world service or any body elses you may wish to! Anywhere in the world. Its not HI-FI but its real radio! Tempted? look at www.hamradio.co.uk

Archived