Recharging the water system

Guest chas

Hi all, before the cold weather came I completly drained the water in my van left the taps open and took it a run to get rid of any surplus. It will soon be time to fill back up again and would like to know any tips any one can offer to sterilize the system safely. It has a ultrastore boiler and I read that its best to put that on max heat to kill off any germs. We do not usualy drink the water from the tank, prefering to use a seperate water container. Thanks Chas

When I've had to shut down and drain the system, my restart procedure has always been as follows: 1. Close all taps and drain cocks. 2. Put about 30 to 40 litres of fresh water in the tank and add an appropriate mixture of sterilising solution (I use Milton and one 250ml bottle lasts for years so you don't use much). Stir well to mix. 3. Switch on the pump and open each tap/ shower head/ loo flush, etc, one at a time - COLD ONLY - and flush through until the water flows smoothly. 4. Repeat same with taps, etc., switched to hot water; this will also fill the hot water tank. Open drain cock to hot tank briefly to flush out any accumulated sediment. 5. Leave for 24 hours to sterilise everything, then pump through the remaining fresh water until the fresh tank is empty and the pump slurping at all taps, etc. 6. Refill the fresh tank with about 20 litres of water and pump through all the hot & cold connections as before until the pump slurps again. This will flush out any remaining sterilising solution or so dilute it that it has no effect. 7. Refill the fresh tank as desired. If you take drinking water from the tank, it's OK boiled for hot drinks or for cooking, as the Milton is too weak to taste. It should also be OK to drink, but a filter system would be better (jug or built-in). Hope that helps.

Guest Yorkshire Tyke
I fully agree with Mel except for the use of milton (I have read that Milton should not be used where metals are in the system) I use a podwer called "puriclean" it is made for water storage systems We use water from our tanks for all cooking and drinking We do pass it through a filter jug (both when away and at home) I dont see the point of not drinking from a large storage tank that has been properly cleaned and then drinking it from a smaller bottle that has not been cleaned at all We also use a common garden hose to fill the tank This is filled with the same fluid mixture Then when rinsing the tank it is filled through this hose If you do choose to use a "Food Quality" hose this should also be thouroughly cleaned You can get a furry growth in hoses due to the water remnants - a food quality hose with this growth is worse than a clean garden hose The water is not stored in the hose. So there can be little or no take up of any chemicals I am told by the water authourities:- NOT to store the water for more than 3 days ( we normally have to at least 1/2 fill the tank every day ) The same source has said that there is no problem using a garden hose as we do and that ANY hose should be kept clean (just look how dairies andpubs have to clean the pipes regularly) I NEVER LEND out MY WATER HOSE Once used it is coiled up and placed back into its bag and stored away

Gypsy here! I used Puriclene this afternoon for the first time in about 5 years. We always use the standard garden hose that rests on an old industrial fire reel in the garage. It does everything. My procedure is much the same as Mell,s otherwise. Normally I never bother with the chemicals, just fill up, flush everything through, fully drail down, fill up and go! We drink the water no problem. No filter (yet!) Before you worry, just look at some of the things seen in our resevoirs!. But fish still thrive there and we don,t seem to do too bad ourselves. My Mum said "You eat a peck of dirt before you die". and she was right. Back to making the clothes pegs now.

Guest Brian Kirby
All above is true, except, possibly, the steralising product. You need to look at your Truma Ultrastore manual. If it says don't use products containing chlorine, then both Milton and Puriclean, according to the packet/bottle, do. If Truma recommend Certisil for your ultrastore, do a Forum search under Certisil for an earlier post of mine and you'll find the contact details for where to get this chlorine free water purifying product in UK. The thing about the peck of dirt and dying, is that none of its advocates ever say by how long the two events will be separated! Yes you can be too fussy, but you can also be unlucky. Depending on where you're going, for how long, and how hygenic the last person to use the filler hose was (did he flush out his toilet waste tank with it? - seen!), you may want some pecks kept at bay. Disentry, on holiday, in a motorhome, doesn't appeal that much to me! Clive's different: but then we all are, aren't we? Regards Brian

Guest Nick Miller
Mindfull of Brian's previous posting i tried invain to purchase Certsil from my local motorhome/caravan spares shop.This is attached to one of Autosleeper's and consequently Truma's largest outlets in the South East.Puricleen was the recommended product. It is strange that Autosleeper mention the product in their handbook but then do little to see the product is available or their agents have an understanding of Certsil's apparent value. So this year I just flushed everything with tap water and have to hope for the best.I drink nothing from the MH tank. N

Guest Brian Kirby
Nick In case you couldn't find my earlier posting: Certisil products may be obtained from Miriad Products Ltd of Burton upon Trent, Tel 01283 511883 for details. The Microbox, which contains tank and system purifier, de-scaler and de odoriser, plus conservation water treatment is currently around £13.00 plus VAT and p&p. Tel 01283 528222 to order. Cards over the 'phone OK. Hope this is of interest. If they've gone bust, or stopped supplying, do please post! Brian

Guest Yorkshire Tyke
Agree about eating a bit o' muck They do recon that a bit gives you immunity against bugs - As i said I dont lend out my filler hose - you dont know what the borrower might do - wash his van or t****t (no not tent) Where the filler pipe is near the toilet block I remove the pipe provided when I can and fit my own For the very reasons posted above

Guest Derek Uzzell
Miriad Poducts website is www.miriad-products.com and carries a description of Certisil water treatment products. Although Miriad includes The Microbox in the Certisil section, Microbox actually contains three "Micropur" products manufactured by the Swiss company Katadyn (Certisil is a German company). I believe Miriad is the sole UK Certisil supplier currently, but I noticed The Microbox being marketed on one of the small trade stands at the Shepton Mallet show.

Guest peter lambert
Watch out with the Milton. I once read an article written by someone who had left some concentrated Milton on their steel sink by accident. It ate its way through it after a few days. You have been warned.

Guest Brian Kirby
Dear Peter et al No sure if it was clear from my previous but, just in case there is any confusion, it isn't just Milton, it is any purifying product, liquid or granular, that contains chlorine (or its compounds) as it's active ingredient. Chlorine corrodes stainless steel. The sink in question was stainless steel, and neat Milton (which in any case is heavily diluted) had been allowed to stand in it over winter. The bottom of the sink looked like a colander! The Truma manual is very specific about no chlorine, because the Truma water heater jacket is stainless steel. If chlorine based products are used the water heater jacket can become perforated - and replacement is very expensive! Remember, any chemical reaction is accellerated by heat. Therefore, chlorine in hot water works even faster! Hope I haven't done it to death! Brian

Guest Yorkshire Tyke
No Brian I dont think taht you have! I use puriclean it is not a dangerous as Milton when neat (it is a dry powder). Milton has a warning on the bottles but is most known because of its use for baby bottles - too much would kill baby The instruction for Puriclean says to leave for 1 - 2 hours only Incidentally I clean the drinking water tank after cleaning the Waste water tank. Then pump the cleaning fluid through the taps - down the sink and shower cubicle prior to rinsing the down with clean water

Archived