Recommendations please

weldted

Hi all, looking to ship our Elddis Aspire to the USA for an extended trip. Owned from new have 38,000 miles covered. Looking to have a new clutch assembly fitted before going as expect to cover around 20,000 whilst over there.

We are based in Plymouth Devon

Having looked at hire prices, mileage charges and hi fuel consumption taking our is around £4000 cheaper minimum

I’m interested in knowing if it is possible & what it would cost to take our MH to the USA ( return journey) for a 6 month holiday , it was something I was thinking about possibly doing in the future

Seabridge quoted. 7.5 mtr van 3 mtr high 3850 kg.

Liverpool to Baltimore $6996 US.

They can arrange insurance and fitting for filling LPG tank

USA allows import for upto 12 months without taxes, no restrictions on RHD

Ted,

Why do you think your clutch needs replacing at 38,000 miles?

IMO modern clutches should be good for 100,000 miles as long as they don't suffer either a mechanical failure or oil contamination.

Keith.

I have had four brand new Motorhomes since 2000 all except my current one have covered in excess of 50000 miles other than the 2008 3 litre Fiat which had the clutch judder and failed at 1260 miles all has been fine. I drive them allowing that most of the time they are fully laden. But have noticed on this one an occasional click is felt when pressing the clutch pedal although no other signs. Peugeot do not have much of a presence in the USA and should the clutch fail it would cost a lot more than £685 to have it fixed over there. Even allowing for fitting the clutch, new brake pads, new tyres, full extended service. We will have our comfortable van with all our gear, 27 mpg against 7/9 mpg no hire cost no 37 cents a mile charges.

But all suggestions welcome.

Many thanks for that info, have looked into this but given the length of our trip and we use our van most of the year it's not a workable Soloution. We have relatives scattered over the states so will cover considerable mileage and rentals are €29 per 100 miles.

Not trying to convince you as you’ve clearly decided your preferred method but I know of some who have bought a used van in USA and sold it at the end of their trip. Potential risk of loss so negotiating skill required.

Out of interest, is the shipper using RoRo or container?

Roll on Roll off. The swop system works well for shorter periods but six months is pushing it a bit.

Previous RV we have rented in the USA and Canada most have had V10 petrol 7/9 mpg.

Ours Diesel around 27 mpg may cover in excess of 15000 miles.

Tried the guaranteed buy back scheme but they will pick your van to pieces when you return, and if you outright buy when you go to resell you may have to leave it with a broker if you can't sell it before you leave and you are at a disadvantage then.

Archived