Records

Guest Peter Lawton-Harris

Guest Peter Lawton-Harris
What is the point in keeping fuel comsumption records? I find if the tank is empty I just gotta fill it. What alternative is there ?

Well for one thing you gets an idea that every thing is OK on my last van I could tell when it wanted to see the mechanic I was never informed what went on but it came back happier & used less juice My new 2.8Tdi uses less fuel at 35miles / gallon I have produced a database from a basic spreadsheet that calculates the mpg or Km/100ltr for me & gives an overall total Cost is something else with thprice fluctuatons & I think if you calculated this + repairs etc You may have a shock Dive on in ignorance if you wish

Guest Derek Uzzell
I'm with both of you on this. I used to do an occasional calculation to confirm that the mpg of my 'van had not reduced dramatically (indicating something was amiss) but, beyond that, I couldn't care less. For genuinely accurate measurement it's a waste of time relying on a vehicle's own odometer, you need a properly calibrated instrument and, for the short distance tests normally carried out by motorhome magazines, a fuel flow-meter. PeteC: you must either drive very gently on motorways, or have a 'magic' motor, or have a very light, sleek motorhome, or your 'van's odometer is significantly over-reading (pretty common I believe on Fiat/Peugeots, if that's what you've got). I would have thought an AVERAGE mpg for a 2.8 litre powered motorcaravan would be 30 if one was lucky. Anyway, it's a harmless pastime and beats binge-drinking.

Archived