Reduced tobacco allowances - France

Guest PeteC

Have just picked up from another forum France has passed a law to the effect Any person may not carry more than 200 cigaretes on their person Also you may not have a store of more than 200 cigaretes in your house (without licence) Travellers passing through may be - stopped & searched & fined & confiscation of the excess Booze was quoted as 100 litres spirits 90bottles wine & 100 bottles of beer Dont know if that is per person or per household Its to cut down on Teenage smoking & boozing

Guest Derek Uzzell
Useful information for me as I often pick up 1000 fags on the outgoing ferry to France. These are for my tight-fisted neighbour and doing it this way saves me overlooking it later. In future I'll have to remember to get him his ciggies on the return crossing. Next French law will no doubt be to allow wine to be marketed there only in wine boxes to prevent the kids making Molotov cocktails after they've drunk the contents.

Guest Ian Stewart
I hope the ciggies are a "gift" for your neighbour !!! To buy them on his behalf would be breaking the law which clearly states, "personal use".

this is clearly a breach of European law, but as usual the french ignore them when it suits them. Will no doubt be challenged in due course, but they'll have a few years of arguing before it's removed. Makes a complete mockery of free movement of gooods & people, as does the UK's attempt to limit the import of booze & cigs by the "recommended limits". It would be very unlikely that any Uk motorhome travellers would be stopped; as stated above, they're looking out for peugeot 206's full of teenagers with a fug up!

Archived