Refillable LPG

ham

I am looking at a new van with lpg underslung tanks.

Whilst doing some research.I read about refillable stations closing down.

I commented.That the morrison supermarkets still sell it. And got this reply, You can not use lpg from garages because its for cars.They draw the liquid of the bottom of tank ,, Not the top for liesure uses.

I did have a chuckle.....

ham - 2021-02-07 8:36 PM

I am looking at a new van with lpg underslung tanks.

Whilst doing some research.I read about refillable stations closing down.

I commented.That the morrison supermarkets still sell it. And got this reply, You can not use lpg from garages because its for cars.They draw the liquid of the bottom of tank ,, Not the top for liesure uses.

I did have a chuckle.....

I might be useful to know from whom you got that reply...

It’s certainly true that the type of TANK that is fitted to a motorhome to hold LPG for fuelling habitation appliances (eg. heater, hob, fridge) has a VAPOUR take-off at the top of the tank, whereas the take-off on a tank designed to provide LPG in LIQUID form to fuel a vehicle’s engine will be at the tank’s bottom. (In the past, ‘dual pupose’ tanks have been available with top (vapour - leisure appliances) and bottom (liquid - vehicle engine) take-offs, but I’m not sure if these are still marketed.)

Sounds like there was a misunderstanding somewhere down the line.

It was on another forum I wont embarress him..

He Is a lot wiser know..But still argues the filling points at petrol stations is different gas supply companies..He is relatively new to motorhoming...He has a lot to learn

Reminds me of 46 years ago.

Girlfriend and I ( now married )we’re camping at north very basically and with very little money.

Early evening a family turned up with a tent and after many attempts approached us to help.

Ours was a basic ridge tent. They had a new Trent with rooms.

Under car headlights we completed the job

They said thank you and gave us £20.

Blimey we were rich and had a superb weekend with bananas and cream.

They were amazing times.

• 2 weeks later...
weldted - 2021-02-07 11:30 PM

A little knowledge or lack of it can be very dangerous. We have underslung tanks, ideal when abroad. Frees up the gas locker for all those must have extras. We have a separate fitting in the locker so we can still use a bottle if needed.

Hello everyone (my first post).

I would be interested to hear if anyone has a modification to their gas system so that either the tank or bottle(s) can be used as Weldted seems to have. When I was trawling for a new van there was plenty of Autogas available on fuel station forecourts so an underslung tank sounded a great idea. Since then however at least three in my local area have stopped supplying it, shortly to be followed by a fourth I'm pretty sure (Shell garage). One of my cupboards has gas vents in the floor so that would be an ideal space albeit at the loss of some storage. I'm just thinking ahead as to what we underslungers do when the option to fill disappears! Any ideas about the possibility and cost welcomed. :-D

WIlsonH - 2021-03-01 3:53 PM

Hello everyone (my first post).

I would be interested to hear if anyone has a modification to their gas system so that either the tank or bottle(s) can be used as Weldted seems to have. When I was trawling for a new van there was plenty of Autogas available on fuel station forecourts so an underslung tank sounded a great idea. Since then however at least three in my local area have stopped supplying it, shortly to be followed by a fourth I'm pretty sure (Shell garage). One of my cupboards has gas vents in the floor so that would be an ideal space albeit at the loss of some storage. I'm just thinking ahead as to what we underslungers do when the option to fill disappears! Any ideas about the possibility and cost welcomed. :-D

Hi Andrew and welcome,

You need an 'Extend A Stay', example below...

https://mobilervmaintenance.co.uk/product/extend-a-stay-kit

Keith.

ham - 2021-02-09 10:01 AM

Just to add looking forward to sites opening and seeing some of the newbys arrive ..

Last year was funny..one asked how can get fresh water in the van....and many more

It wasn't very funny for us when a couple of them managed to disconnect and empty a full tank of butane in seconds right next to our van last September in Scotland. Even less funny when, after explaining the system on their van to them and putting it right, they returned after a trip to buy a new cylinder, only to repeat the sudden venting exercise at 3 a.m. having been wandering around with torches and banging doors for half an hour. I count us quite lucky that we're still here. A single spark might well have sent us to a different campsite...

Keithl - 2021-03-01 5:29 PM

Hi Andrew and welcome,

You need an 'Extend A Stay', example below...

https://mobilervmaintenance.co.uk/product/extend-a-stay-kit

Keith.

The “Extend A Stay” product is aimed primarily at USA RVs and (as far as I’m aware) modifications need to be made to the LPG tank to allow the product to be employed.

For UK-built motorhomes with an external LPG tank there are two alternative ‘emergency hose’ products - one marketed by Gaslow and the other by Gasit - that allow an external gas bottle (eg. a Calor canister) to be connected to a refillable gas system’s filling-point. They are described here

https://www.gaslowshop.co.uk/reserve-cylinder-connection-hose/

http://www.gasit.co.uk/gas-it-reserved-gas-supply-hose-system-pol.html

and this Motorhomer.com forum discussion may be of interest.

https://motorhomer.com/threads/calor-to-gasit-connection.41789/

(I’m guessing that, as weldted has had an LPG tank retro-fitted to his motorhome that started life with a locker dedicated for carrying gas canisters, it would be a relatively simple matter to modify the original system’s gas pipework to permit an external gas bottle to be connected to it if the need arose.)

On our van the original bulkhead regulator is still used, there is a check ‘T’ valve so the gas bottle when carried in the original ventilated locker or the tank cannot feed each other, very important should the tank be filled whilst the bottle is not turned off risking filling the bottle past 80%. If the bottle is removed a blanking cap is fitted so no open end pipe work.

Thanks very much for all the suggestions. Good to know that there is a solution out there should the need arise either temporary or by a modification (by a gas professional of course).

I am enjoying this forum - there is such a wealth of knowledge out there! Here's also hoping we can all get out in our vans later this year. :-D

Archived