Refillable gas bottles - what you may need to know..

cps23

I may be 'a little bit late to the party' on this but I can't find any threads related to it in 'search'.

I recently bought one of these refillable gas bottles. The concept is brilliant and the cost saving potentially significant. And the quality of the 'Safefill' one that I bought, seemingly high. There is only one problem..

When I went to my local Shell garage, they refused to allow me to fill it. Apparently it is company policy. I wrote to Shell who confirmed for various reasons that they do not allow the refilling of 'containers'. I wrote to Safefill highlighting this and they say they have sold many bottles. Fine..if you happen to live in the right area. I then checked their 'partners map'. Where I am (south Hampshire), if you draw a line from Bournemouth through Southampton, Fareham, Guildford, Basingstoke, Winchester, Salisbury and back, there are only two suggested outlets that will allow refilling. This is clearly a significant area and 'a bit of a blow' having just forked out £170. In a more generous radius of 35 miles from where I live..an area of getting on for almost 2000 sq. miles, there are 3. I bought mine from 'The LPG Shop' and there was no reference to the potential shortage of outlets in some areas in their Ebay ad. Maybe I'm just in the wrong area.

So do your research! Because although The LPG Shop have agreed to refund me, this doesn't answer the problem and won't help if you make your purchase, from whatever manufacturer, only to find you can't refill your bottle locally..

There has been a couple of threads on this and you'd be better posting this in the Motorhome Matters sub forum. Apparently it depends where the filler is.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Gas-low-in-Italy-and-where-is-everyone-/52050/

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Filling-Gaslow-In-Italy/48512/#M552011

I agree with Silverback on this - never had a problem refilling in last 9 years all over UK and Europe. In fact for the OPs information I regularly use BP station in Scholing, just off M27 on way to Portsmouth for the ferries.

However I fitted my filler point on the van sidewall adjacent to the gas cylinder lockers. My two Gaslow cylinders hold about 20 litres and 6 litres (from memory) and once the larger cylinder is empty it leaves plenty of time to plan your refill whilst using the second one. At the service station it appears you are filling just like diesel refuelling - no locker doors open and certainly no cylinders visible ! Never been challenged - including Morrissons.

So, don't be put off from this excellent setup - a correctly fitted filler allows easy and cheap gas operation all over Europe and UK in my experience.

I did the same, swapped my bottles mainly for travel over the water but I'm now thinking of putting one of the replacement bottles back on. Been doing the NC500 and there was no gas around the top and I've had to do a bit of searching around to get my tanks filled. True I could start driving off my route to get gas but thats not the idea is it? There are definitely less filler points around and I'm sure they'll get less.

Seems to be some confusion on the the replies to the OP comments ..he is talking about SAFEFILL bottles as oposed to the Gaslow or Gast It system ..Safe Fills are free standing and as such the bottle is removed from the locker and filled out side the van which has given them a poor reputation hench the refusal to fill at most garages. IMO

653686046_download(1).jpg.e60a833c40a56ac252e74753737b8ae9.jpg

http://www.safefill.co.uk/safefill-refilling-partners-morrisons.html

20 July 2017

Safefill is the refillable LPG cylinder that was

designed specifically to be filled on forecourts

John and Neil, the designers and directors

of Safefill, have been in the LPG business

for more than 16 years. They started an LPG

car conversion business and invested in

an LPG rig. Almost as soon as the LPG rig

was in place they were asked to refill rented,

steel cylinders with adaptors and no safety

features. Neil and John realised there was an

opening in the market. The public wanted to

refill cylinders and save money and from this

Safefill was created. In February 2011, Safefill

was launched at the National Exhibition

Centre and caused quite a stir both with the

public and the UKLPG industry.

Safefill cylinders are ‘user

owned’, not exchange

cylinders, and you

simply top it up with

LPG whenever you

need to. To provide

customers with

places to refill their

cylinders Safefill

contacted LPG

suppliers and set

up their own Refill

Network of willing,

forward-thinking

forecourts which

saw the benefits of

Safefill, recognised all

the safety features and

wanted more of an LPG

income stream.

The public response was

very positive but Safefill had

to overcome many hurdles

thrown in its way, namely

outdated information given

to the forecourt chains, and

a lack of acceptance by the LPG industry. By

chance, a forward-thinking forecourt owner,

who had bought a Safefill cylinder for his own

personal use, recommended that Safefill get

in touch with the PRA, as he was sure they

would look at the product with unbiased eyes.

“In order to avoid further confusion with

forecourt operators and LPG suppliers, it was

agreed, that the ‘Petrol Filling Stations Guide

to Managing the Risk of Fire and Explosion’

(The Red Guide) needed updating. This will

prevent out of date information sheets being

referred to, regarding the legality of filling LPG

cylinders on forecourts.”

Safefill joined the APEA and PEIMF and

through these associations was introduced to

members of the PRA who, in turn, greeted the

new, innovative product with enthusiasm and

acceptance. The PRA could see the benefits of

Safefill and how, by customers using Safefill,

LPG sales would increase as would footfall to

the forecourts. Safefill may even reduce the

amount of illegal and unsafe filling of rented

steel cylinders with adaptors.

This change in policy will enable forecourt

operators with LPG dispensing facilities to

tap into another market, as Safefill’s portable

solution is convenient for customers and that

convenience can only translate into increased

footfall on the forecourt.

The PRA, from the onset, have guided,

advised and supported Safefill in its push for

change and are instrumental in the change in

policy for the filling of user-owned refillable

cylinders on forecourts .

“We are delighted that, at the recent

meeting of the Petroleum Equipment Liaison

Group (PELG), there was a unanimous

agreement to permit the refilling of LPG

cylinders, which are designed to be refilled,

from Autogas dispensers.”

Safefill cylinders comply with international

standards and approvals and do not BLEVE

(Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapour Explosion).

Also, a Safefill risk assessment is available for

forecourt filling. This is intended for use in

conjunction with the site assessments already

required for the operation of LPG-only and

LPG+ petroleum dispensing sites.

Following the change in The Red Guide and

the updating of User Information Sheet 26,

to include the refilling of portable cylinders

such as Safefill, Safefill looks forward to an

acceptance, by all forecourts, to allow the

refilling of cylinders specifically designed to be

refilled.

If you require any further information or

would like to be linked to Safefill’s refill list for

their customers please contact Safefill at;

info@safefill.co.uk

The full version of The Red Guide and an

updated User Information Sheet 26 will be

available shortly for reference.

PHU EXTRA

RED GUIDE CHANGED TO INCLUDE

THE REFILLING OF USER-OWNED

CYLINDERS ON FORECOURTS

Whilst Morrisons are allowing refilling of Safefill the issue remains there are in areas of the UK few Morrisons, , here few Morrisons actually do fuel, and of those that do I have yet to find one that also has an LPG pump on its forecourt. I am awaiting a reply from Morrisons on where locally there are any, they seem to be struggling to find any to tell me.

The point being made by the OP is very valid, and here in southern Hampshire, with other forecourts removing their LPG pumps getting increasingly a significant issue.

BKen1 - 2019-05-22 10:52 PM

Seems to be some confusion on the the replies to the OP comments ..he is talking about SAFEFILL bottles as oposed to the Gaslow or Gast It system ..Safe Fills are free standing and as such the bottle is removed from the locker and filled out side the van which has given them a poor reputation hench the refusal to fill at most garages. IMO

A Safefill bottle does not necessarily need to be removed from a motorhome’s gas-locker to be refilled. Provided that there’s sufficient access for the LPG pump-gun to be connected to the bottle’s filler, the bottle can be refilled while remaining within the locker.

However, refilling will normally require that a motorhome’s gas-locker door be opened to connect the LPG pump-gun to the Safefill bottle’s filler, and opening that door will make it evident to a clued-up service-station attendant what’s being done.

This 2016 forum thread discussed installing a remote filling-point for a Safefill bottle

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Safefill-gas-cylinder-remote-filler/45939/

but I don’t know if anyone has actually done this.

The simple fact is that, to minimise the possibility of being prevented from refilling a motorhome’s LPG reservoir, a filling-point should be installed that avoids any 'door-opening’ and (realistically) that rules out Safefill bottles.

As a further point, I have found the free android app FillLPG very good and accurate - now my app of choice when looking for LPG outlets. This allows you to peruse a map and see current LPG availability in the area of interest. I accept the station may be picky over safefill type refilling, but never failed me on gaslow filling.

I saw the original maker as I had an lpg car at the time. He was just starting to sell them, and was quite adamant that fuel stations ought to fill them, he was quite upset that he was running into problems with customers unable to get their bottles refilled and returning them.

For a fuel station attendant, probably part time and on minimum wage, to differentiate between different gas bottles when the basic instruction is "don't let drivers fill a freestanding gas bottle, it's dangerous" is expecting a lot.

I've never had a problem with gaslow bottles with an external filler. But my next door neighbour runs his vans on lpg, so I top up at home before I set off.

Safefill has been a regular topic of conversation on the Caravan & Motorhome Club forum because the system has attraction for caravanners. The issue with supermarkets is well known. My local Shell garage, not owned by Shell, allows the filling of gas tanks but not cylinders. My local Calor Gas no longer allows you to fill any gas tank.

Type Safefill in the CMC's forum 'Club Together Discussions' to see some of their previous discussions.

Unless CPS23 is reading these posts without logging in they seem to be another 'one hit wonder'. Basically post a moan or grievance and then never seen again!!!

CPS23, are you still following your thread?

Keith.

@CPS23 If you do return to the forum - you could try the Shell station at Winnal which is just off the M3 roundabout to Winchester. I've used them a few times for my Gas Low cylinder. Admittedly I have an external filler, but the cashier never comes out to inspect.

Yes I am following..just don't have need to add further. If people have had a more positive experience I am pleased for them. The long Safefill sales pitch - no matter what it's history or good intent, does nothing to alter the facts in my post.

I could copy Shell's response here but basically their issue would seem to be cylinders stood on forecourts with traffic manoeuvring around them. They will allow some camper vans providing the bottle cannot be removed from the 'van, it has an overfill protection device and that the filler pipe does not connect directly to the bottle. Which means you are not refilling your Safefill without some considerable modification.

The number of outlets that will allow you to refill without hiding away vs. the stated area and according to the Safefill map, remains the same. I was just saying, make sure it works for you.

Colin

Hi Colin,

Many thanks for coming back and adding the extra info, certainly re Shell's response, it may prove useful to others in the future researching just such a purchase.

If you still want refillable bottles it would seem that Gaslow or Gas-It may be the way to go.

Keith.

I assume you took the gas bottle out of the locker? was that necessary as I can fill my bottle in situ just by connecting the refill adaptor. { By the way for 3 years refilling, no not full only to 80% Calor propane] naughty boy!!

If you find a Shell garage that sells Autogas you should see a notice nearby that states that the filling of "Gas bottles" is not allowed. It makes no mention whether they are refillable or non-refillable bottles. In practice however I have only once been refused a refill by an attendant in nearly 10 years of using a refillable bottle (Alugas).

Of course the easiest way to cheat these garages is to pull up to the LPG pump with your connector or gas bottle cupboard away from the pay booth so they can't see what you're doing (lol)

Edited to add that I fill mine up at a Flogas depot, they're all over the country and there's one in Fawley, see attached website. They're very happy for me to fill mine up, I have the Gasit bottle in the gas locker with a loose hose in there too and they're really OK about that. I actually asked if it was OK and chappie said "if it doesn't leak it's fine.

https://www.flogas.co.uk/

Archived