Reich panel Burstner Elegance

rawhide

Hi folks, I have thought driving with panel switched on is not to be done, would like some info on this as ive been told its ok to do this, reason being my panel will not switch on off, I have to unclip it to be off then back for on, everything working in bus but no LCD info, worried man ,please if not sure no answer,always appreciated, thankyou

rawhide - 2019-06-03 10:29 PM

Hi folks, I have thought driving with panel switched on is not to be done...

A motorhome’s control-panel often needs to be switched on to allow certain appliances to operate (eg. Truma Combi heaters). The Combi is certified to be usable while the motorhome is being driven and, consequently, if the control-panel were switched off, the heater could not be operated en route.

If a control-panel has an On/Off switch, I can’t see any credible general reason for switching the panel off while the motorhome is being driven. There will be instances (primarily with UK-built motorhomes) where some of the 12V habitation services are deliberately disabled by an ‘isolation relay’ when a motorhome’s engine is running, but that’s another matter altogether.

This is a new one for me - where did you get that belief from, please?

Derek,

While in general I agree with you, and with our current PVC we are not very particular about switching OFF the habitation electrics when traveling. Given the way that items are connected to our CBE DS520 the principal items affected would be the Truma Combi, lighting, and the water pump.

Our first MH was delivered with a minor water leak, if we had travelled with electrics ON, we would not have heard the Shureflow pump clicking.......

Another potentially more dangerous event was when our then teenage son swiched the electrics ON, at a temporary halt in order to take a drink of water. He failed to switch OFF. We used to store 4 off rolled up sleeping bags in the luton over the driver's (my) head. Somtime later I became aware of the smell of something overheating. After some investigation we found that the 10W? luton light, which was covered by the sleeping bags had somehow got switched ON. The plastic diffusing cover for the light had melted, and a sleeping bag was scorched to the extent that it required patching by my wife. These days with the lower dissipation of LED lights, there may not have been a problem.

Alan

Hi Derek, info much appreciated, I was given that info from the private seller I bought from, he bought from main dealer, that's it, nothing in Burstner manuel to say on or off, I didn't know British made are different,ie regulations than European,so all European made with right hand drive does same apply

Switching off the 12V power-supply to a motorhome’s habitation-area when the vehicle’s motor is running became normal practice from the mid-1990s onwards - but only for UK-built motorhomes. The practice was introduced to provide EMC (Electro-Magnetic Compatibility) compliance and is often performed by a dedicated ‘isolation relay’ that can be disabled, assuming that relay can be found!

As far as I’m aware it’s a Brit thing that Continental motorhome manufacturers don’t do even if the motorhome is RHD.

(Discussed in some depth on this 2017 forum thread.)

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Why-disable-the-Habitation-12v-electrics-when-the-Engine-starts-/46665/

To switch the control panel off you press and hold the button ... I assume you have tried this. Otherwise you would need to switch the 12 volts off on the main unit.

I would not recommend removing the control panel while it is live.

My control is normally left on all the time, even when not in use. The only exception is during the Winter period.

Archived