Remis (Remisfront) cab blinds

Brian Kirby

Guest Brian Kirby
I mentioned a mildew problem we are experiencing with the above on Forum a while back, but in conjunction with another problem. Others (Alan and Maureen) indicated they were experiencing similar problems, so, to highlight the issue, I'm starting a new string on this single issue. The blinds in question are the neat, but slightly finicky, pleated, fabric backed plastic, cab window and windscreen blinds made by Remis. They are fitted as standard on recent Burstners and, I believe, on a few other makes. Ours were supplied with the van from new, are now just over six months old, and have developed mildew on the inside, fabric, surface. That is to say on the surface that faces into the 'van. All of the blinds are affected to varying degrees, that is to say both front quarter lights (worst), both opening cab window lights, and the windscreen (lease affected). The van was used in the lake district in June and then for a 10 week trip in France, Spain and Portugal ending late October. The mildew was first noticed just before we left for the second trip. It is possible the cab window blinds got a bit of rain on them in the lake district, as it was quite wet while we were there. However, the cab doors are not used once sited (swivel seats with front diner) and we have cab A/C, so don't need the windows down while travelling. Thus, the cab doors are really only opened during arrivals/departures from sites. Can't say how many times this coincided with rain, but it wasn't raining all the time! In any event, rain could not possibly explain the mildew on the windscreen blind. Due to generally mild to hot summer weather, condensation has not ben a particular problem, although we did mist up from time to time. My current conclusion is that the blinds were already damp whan first fitted. If you recognise this problem, please do add your names to this string so we cann all stay in touch. My blinds are currently under discussion between the dealer and Burstner. So far I have no response, but am staying in touch. Regards to all Brian

Guest Don Madge
Hello Brian, Had my Remis cab blinds on the Timberland Freedom since June 2003. No sign of mildew at all. Van used mainly in the winter/spring. Done 34,000 miles to date. Been in contact with a Timberland owner who has the same problem as you. I'll mail him and put him in the picture. Regards Don

Guest Maureen Smith
Just wanted to add that on our AutoTrail Cheyenne (new in August 2005 and with blinds already fitted to vehicle) the only blind that is affected with mildew is the windscreen one. We use all of the blinds regularly and don't have a problem with condensation.

The blinds when in use are cool on the window side (even in summer). Moisture from your body condenses on the interior side. At night you breath out pints of water. If you have a dog then it could be gallons. The atmosphere is like a cool greenhouse and full of nutrients, exactly right for any organism to flourish. (That's how the world began folks).

PS to the windscreen blinds. They are angled and trap small particles of the floating nutrients as they pass by at a slower speed due to the angled shape. Vertical blinds have a faster movement of air passing over them. The nutrients find it more difficult to to hang on and grow as they pass by. How fast is a puff of air you may ask ? Then put your hand under any window in the house and feel the movement of air as it circulates around the room.

Guest Don Madge
Brian, Although we don't have any mildew we do have some small cracks in the folds on the windscreen blind. You can't see them until the sun is shinning on them. Incidently we have the same type of blinds on all the other windows in the Timberland and none of them has mildew on them. Have passed details onto Bob (Timberland owner) who appears to have a lot of mildew on his windscreen blind. He will be in touch ASAP. Don

Guest Brian Kirby
Thanks to one and all. Sorry Bill I was hoping to keep this string down to just those with the actual problem (so we could keep each other abreast of developments and also give others who may yet find they have the problem somewhere to come for reference). Don't wish to appear rude, but the speculations as to how/why this mould may arise, while interesting are, in that context, not strictly relevant. Yes we exhale moisture, no I don't share small enclosed spaces with dogs (nor do I really wish to), and yes we do continually shed skin cells etc. However, we do have to live, and most of these things are the inevitable consequence of living. The blinds were, presumably, designed for use by the living? Regards to all Brian

Good on 'yer, I was making a comment as to how it might arise. How does one prevent it may have also been a question. (I had a friend who complained bitterly that his house windows were always wet. I reminded him that living with three large dogs is a contributing factor) Keep the Forum active, we never stop learning.

Guest Bob Hatfield
As mentioned previously by Don Madge, we are also having this problem on our Timberland. I bought the Remis blind (just for front windscreen) in May and they were OK during a month away in June. However whilst away for 10 days in early October I noticed a few dark marks at the bottom of the blinds and now they are almost covered in these marks. No signs of anything similar on any of the other blinds. Must say that I'm very disappointed that they have deteriorated so quickly.

Guest Don Madge
Brian, I was at the Timberland factory this morning and mentioned the mildew blinds. They have not had any complaints to date. I inspected the new blinds that slide across the windscreen, they look very neat but I still prefere ours that go up and down. We often have ous half way up for a bit of privacy. Regards Don

• 1 month later...
Guest Brian Kirby
If anyone else has been having trouble with mould or mildew on the above blinds, the following message may offer salvation. (I am grateful to Bob Hatfield for this information, which he has not yet been able to post due to technical difficulties.) The message can be found at: www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=826 "Following some prompts from members here I have been talking to the suppliers about reports of mould forming on RemiFront blinds. (Which we sell in the on-line shop but didn't supply in all these cases). I received an email today from Remis UK saying ... "We have encountered some problems where our material supplier neglected to coat the material both sides. It is not actually mildew but the inner core of the fabric leaching out once in a humid atmosphere. It's a cosmetic problem only and was confined to a single batch of fabric. Please treat complaints as warrantee issues." So there you have it, it is/was a temporary problem and you have recourse by making a warranty claim via your supplier." The message is signed by Neill, of Motorcaravanning.co.uk and is posted on their forum. I am grateful to Neill of Motorcaravanning.co.uk. for this forthright notification. Regards to all Brian

Archived