Remis roof vent

hallii

The clear plastic cover has crazed on my 400 x 400 Remis roof vent, it is 5 years old and I have had to support it with some window film to stop it falling apart.

I am relectant to replace it with another cover at £56 each if it is only going to last 5 years.

Has anybody else had this problem?

http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/product_images/812446.jpg

H

Brian Kirby has reported cracking-problems with his Hobby's washroom's round rooflight (which may be a Remis product as Hobby has tended to fit Remis rooflights).

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=28283&posts=6

Hobby has agreed to replace Brian's rooflight under the terms of the motorhome's 5-year water-ingress warranty, but I've no idea if Hymer might be similarly generous.

There also seems to some evidence from on-line searching that Remis rooflights generally can be problematical.

Unless you can negotiate a freebee cover from Hymer or Remis, I think you'll have to take a chance that a £56 replacement cover will last longer (or at least as long) as the original. Assuming installation proved practicable, a Fiamma 'clear cover' 40cm x 40cm rooflight would cost about £60, but then it would have to be fitted and the product is less sophisticated than the Remis one.

Do you see yourself still owning your current Hymer in 2017?

No, not Remis. Made by a firm called Para Press, who are somewhere in Luxembourg, or Belgium, so Remis are not the culprits this time. :-)

Oddly, the replacement was fitted this afternoon, by those nice people at Southdowns.

It had arrived, not clearly labelled and, as I was taking the van in for its final damp check (is it that late already!), they held onto it on the assumption it would probably be mine. Claim originally lodged 2 July, which Hobby accepted, for which I am grateful. About 8 weeks to supply, presumably in part due to works closure. Otherwise, seems OK.

Mine is out of the warranty so I will have to bear the cost myself.

I will write an email to Remis and see what they might (or might not) offer.

It looks like another case of using inappropriate materials without any concern for future lifespan.

H

Derek Uzzell - 2012-09-05 6:45 PM

Hobby has agreed to replace Brian's rooflight under the terms of the motorhome's 5-year water-ingress warranty, but I've no idea if Hymer might be similarly generous.

Hymer can be very helpful if the dealer is on your side they just replaced my habitation door has it had a few small blisters on the surface, the Hartal doors are around 2½ grand I believe so a Remis rooflight would be small fry.

lennyhb - 2012-09-06 5:17 PM

Wondering if it has been cleaned or polished with something that has reacted with it.

Been up on the roof of my van today cleaning it, the Remis rooflight is as good as new, van is just 4¼ years old parked on the south side of the house in full sun.

I should have explained a bit better I think.The crazing is on the inside, although there are a couple of small cracks on the outside. It appears that where fingers have touched it crazing has developed. The crazing has gone right through. I would have thought that it should be up to normal finger grease and acids, but maybe it's my wife's hand cream, who knows?

I am afraid I have no relationship with the UK Hymer Dealer and have no intention of develolping one!

I can't find an address or anything for Remis Company so if anyone has any info it would be useful.

I think I will live for it for now, I will replace the whole unit with a fan unit next year (not Remis!) off to Sapin next week so no time to fix it now.

H

lennyhb - 2012-09-06 5:17 PM

Wondering if it has been cleaned or polished with something that has reacted with it.

Been up on the roof of my van today cleaning it, the Remis rooflight is as good as new, van is just 4¼ years old parked on the south side of the house in full sun.

The strange thing is Lenny, is that the one over the bed is perfect, it's the one in the kitchen area that has crazed.

No polish used in my ownership, the top gets a brush and clean once a year!

The inside just gets a wipe down with soapy water maybe once a year as well.

H

Our one is over the bed, don't have one over the kitchen as we have an extractor fan in the hood.

First thought is it due to steam but I can't see how there would be much heat left by the time it got to the rooflight, don't see any other explanation though.

I've never dealt with a UK Hymer dealer either, brought ours in Belgium the annual damp check makes a very pleasant long weekend.

hallii - 2012-09-06 8:02 PM..................II can't find an address or anything for Remis Company so if anyone has any info it would be useful....................................H

Try here: UK agent.

Großbritannien / Great Britain

Ian Fletcher

Brookfield, Easton Piercy

Chippenham Wiltshire

SN146JU

UK

Tel: +44 (0)1249-7500-65

i.fletcher@remis.de

He was extremely helpful a few years back when Remis had a duff batch of fabric for their pleated cab blinds. I'm sure he will be willing to look at your problem and advise whether he regards it as premature failure, which it sounds like, or is a known reaction to some chemical agent.

hallii - 2012-09-06 8:02 PM

I should have explained a bit better I think.The crazing is on the inside, although there are a couple of small cracks on the outside. It appears that where fingers have touched it crazing has developed. The crazing has gone right through. I would have thought that it should be up to normal finger grease and acids, but maybe it's my wife's hand cream, who knows?

Isn't your Remis rooflight's cover double-glazed? If it is, and has crazing on its inner surface and (small) cracking on its separate outer surface, then your 'finger-touching' theory is a mite questionable unless your wife is in the habit of moisturising her hands and then clambering about on your motorhome's roof ;-)

More likely - particularly as your other rooflight is OK - that the damaged cover is just a duffer.

Brian, thanks for the info.I will get an email and photo off and see what response I get.

Derek, yes they are double glazed, it is the inside that has crazed but there are some cracks on the ouside as well.

It could be a duff one as like I said, the other one over the bed is fine.

Off to Spain next week for a month so I will report back later.

H

hallii - 2012-09-06 8:02 PM

I would have thought that it should be up to normal finger grease and acids, but maybe it's my wife's hand cream, who knows?

As an aside to this, be careful if you use suntan lotion NOT to touch the paintwork of your van as there's something in it that will damage it - heard it today from someone who knows about these things.

Makes you wonder what it does to your body!! 8-)

• 7 months later...

\I am sorry for resurecting this one but I thought I would mention my findings, they might be of use to someone else.

I did email the Remis Rep. and got no reply.

I have just (yesterday) got round to swapping the faulty cover, the hinges had broken off whilst in Spain and the crfazing was so bad the inner part was in danger of collapsing!

After examination not only was it badly crazed and cracked but the two clear parts were no longer bonded together, the glue had failed and the two halves can be opened with finger pressure!

So if you see any moisture in yours check it hasn't come unstuck.

What a bit of bad workmanship/design it is.

I can't be bothered to write and claim, I have so much money what with my 2.2% pension increase I don't know what to spend it on!

H

Archived