Removal of Burstner High Back-End Panel

markov

Hi Everyone,

I wonder if anyone could help me with information on how to remove the high back-end plastic panel on a Burstner motorhome, from 2015, please? It is the panel with the 3rd rear brake light and, in my case, the reversing camera & its electrics.

The top edge of ours is unsealed, and we seem to be growing a lot of moss, etc in there, which I am guessing accumulates moisture and stops our reversing camera working. Once dried-out, it then works again!

I was hoping to remove the panel, clean it all up and seal around it all after re-fitting...

Many thanks, Mark

I asked the same question a while back on a different forum, didn't get an answer about removing it but did get a suggestion about my problem.

I also emailed Burstner and asked them and not surprisingly they said to take it to a dealer !

Anyway mine too gets mucky and is compounded by the fact that, at home, I keep the front wheels on a couple of low ramps to stop the roof from pooling and all the roof water runs over my back right corner.

This spring I noticed a crack in the high level panel a couple of inches from the end so I presume it was full of water and it froze inside. It is not damage from contacting anything as the damage has 'pushed out'.

Suggestion from the other forum, which I have yet to do, is to drill up into the bottom corner of the panel to allow my water to drain out.

With regard to fixing I think it is is stuck with Sikaflex or similar and then pulled down with the 2 concealed screws, so to remove it would entail removing the screws and then going around with a blade or cheese wire but not forgetting brake light or camera wiring. If it was removed and re-fixed the same way then it needs a gap in in any sealant to avoid internal lakes !

andytw - 2018-08-21 4:19 PM

I asked the same question a while back on a different forum, didn't get an answer about removing it but did get a suggestion about my problem...

Pity that (like markov) you haven’t identified the model and age of your Burstner motorhome, but I’m guessing that the problematical plastic component is as shown in the photo of an “Ixeo” I attached to my posting above.

If that’s correct, and the problem is that water gets in because there’s no proper seal between the motorhome’s rear body-panel and the upper edge of the horizontal plastic moulding that carries the reversing-camera, I would have thought that the simplest way to stop that happening would be to seal the gap between the rear body-panel and moulding’s upper edge as markov is proposing to do.

I suspect you are right in assuming that the moulding is firmly fixed in place by a constructional adhesive like Sikaflex, making removal a real challenge. But it ought to be practicable to clean the joint where the moulding meets the rear panel at its upper edge and outer ends and seal it with (say) clear Sikaflex EBT+. If water can’t get behind the moulding there should be no need to introduce a ‘drain’, but drilling a precationary hole should do no harm. (I definitely would not attempt to remove the moulding unless it were absolutely necessary.)

My experience of the ten Hella-made lights fitted to my 2005 Hobby motorhome’s rear suggests that the water drain-hole should not be too small, and it might be best to drill a hole at each bottom corner - one hole to let air in and the other to let water out. The Hobby’s Hella lights had a small aperture in their lower edge for water to drain out, but drainage was poor and mould rapidly formed within the light unit. I used to regularly remove the lights’ outer lens to address this, but doing so was a very simple task.

Many thanks to Billggski, Derek and AndyTW for your replies. I'll contact the members club and see if they have any suggestions.

Sorry, I should have noted the model - It's a 2015 Nexxo time 690G, and the back panel is exactly the same as the 'Ixeo' photo that Derek kindly posted.

It seems to be the case that the panel is 'sealed' onto the motorhome, unfortunately this also seems to have been done partially, rather than fully! Another suggestion that I've had is to remove as much of the moss as I can manually, spray copious amounts of good quality (high-acetone) brake cleaner down the gap (under-pressure, this would blow out more moss, whilst also dispersing water without leaving a residue), and then complete the sealent job that Burstner failed to do, to seal the panel from further water ingress...

I'll post to let you know further developments, but thanks again for contributions to the post thread!

Mark

Derek Uzzell - 2018-08-22 7:26 AM

andytw - 2018-08-21 4:19 PM

I asked the same question a while back on a different forum, didn't get an answer about removing it but did get a suggestion about my problem...

Pity that (like markov) you haven’t identified the model and age of your Burstner motorhome, but I’m guessing that the problematical plastic component is as shown in the photo of an “Ixeo” I attached to my posting above.

Yes, sorry, complete oversight on my part. I hadn't event realised the 2 images were different panels. Yes mine, that filled with water at one end and suffered frost damage, is the Ixeo variant.

I have no experience of Burstner but I suspect that the end panel joining roof and back panels is fitted to the body prior to the continuous edge beading that should seal it all in place, in which case removing the end panel might well open a larger can of worms that could prove hard to successfully close up again?

My inclination would be to seal it as best I can without removing it but leave the drain holes as a precaution and monitor how it fares.

The key to this could well be using the right sealant, but again, I would not know which one?

Any remaining moss will soon die off without water to feed it.

"........ Another suggestion that I've had is to remove as much of the moss as I can manually, spray copious amounts of good quality (high-acetone) brake cleaner down the gap (under-pressure, this would blow out more moss, whilst also dispersing water without leaving a residue), and then complete the sealent job that Burstner failed to do, to seal the panel from further water ingress"

Make sure you are using brake cleaner and not brake fluid.

You may be making more work than you bargained for.

Archived