Removal of forum threads

Derek Uzzell

I notice that two identical 'single-posting' forum threads (relating to the availability of parts from an RV located abroad) have disappeared from this forum, and I’m assuming that this was the result of forum Moderator action on the basis that the posting was ‘advertising’ and contrary to Warners’s terms and conditions for forum usage.

In future it would be better for a Moderator not to just delete a thread, but instead to move it to the Admin Quarantine forum and add a posting to it saying why this has been done. That way it will be obvious to all forum Moderators what has happened and allows for the possibility of the thread being reinstated.

(If the removal of the two threads wasn’t done by a Moderator, then I suggest that the above procedure still be followed...)

I’m not asking for a confession - I’m merely suggesting that the Admin Quarantine forum be used to hold threads removed from their original forum, rather than physically deleting the threads.

I don’t know how many forum-members currently have Moderator privileges, or who the Moderators all are, so the only way to make that suggestion was in open forum not via PMs.

Keithl - 2018-12-22 4:43 PM

Wasn't me either!

I had noticed both threads and thought a bit of a cheek but decided to see if there was actually any interest in his abandoned in Spain RV!

Keith.

There is a Member of Facts, I think, who has inherited a large RV that is in a dreadful state this may be the same person but on reflection I think it is in Portugal.

In 2016, when the O&AL forums were suffering a serious spam-attack, the then forum Administrator/Moderator extended Moderator privileges to a number of forum-members so that they could remove the spam messages as soon as possible after the messages had been posted. This was a thankless task and a short-term approach to prevent the spam postings from inundating the forums. The spamming was eventually counteracted by a more rigorous procedure for forum registration and at that point Moderator privileges could have been withdrawn from the forum-members who had been removing the spam postings without that withdrawal causing any real problems.

The forum-members who had been removing the spam postings had volunteered for that task and (to the best of my knowledge) the number of ‘member-Moderators’ was never stated nor who they were. From the above comments it would seem that there are now at least four member-Moderators, none of which removed the RV-abroad threads. The implication, then, is that there are other people who have the capability to remove forum threads, with Daniel Attwood (the forum Administrator) obviously being one.

Most larger forums have Moderators from within the forum community as this radically reduces the load on Administrator personnel and means there can be a speedy reaction if a ‘moderation type’ problem suddenly arises. As the O&AL Moderators are very much freelance, with no stated terms of reference provided by Warners, there’s no certainty that all Moderators will use their forum-privileges identically. But, generally, Moderation on the O&AL forums seems to operate adequately.

If you really want to know which forum-members were granted Moderator privileges you’ll need to ask Daniel Attwood, as I assume he would have that information to hand.

Archived