Remove fly screen from shower vent

tonyishuk

Does any know how to remove the fly screen from this shower vent ?

I have tried (carefully) to use a screwdriver in the area by the handle and pull the screen down, very little give.

Maybe on the right track, but needs a bit more enthusiastic use of screwdriver ?

Photo hopefully posted with this message, but using an iPad anything can happen .

Rgds

Edit, Image is there but you may have to download it, not sure why it is not displayed.

image.jpeg.cdd86e03fa71205b7038ba8eaa09266f.jpeg

image.png.43578a189cd99a02e85b4bb183d97fd9.png

There appear to be four hex-drive screws holding the inner frame in place. The outer element should be sealed to the roof, so basically secure (but verity this from outside). Why not loosen a screw or two and see if the inner frame appears to loosen with it? If it does, and you are careful and mark the exact position of the inner frame beforehand, you may find that removing the screws allows the whole inner frame, including the screen to be removed while leaving the outer element still sealed onto the roof. You can then see if the screen is integral with the frame and if not, how it can be released. I'd expect the inner frame and outer element to merely "sandwich" the roof construction so as to compress the seal between outer element and roof when the screws are tightened. Then clean as necessary and carefully reassemble and re-tighten the screws to "nip" the roof construction as before.

tonyishuk - 2019-01-30 10:59 AM

...Edit, Image is there but you may have to download it, not sure why it is not displayed.

The image didn’t show up because the file you created on your iPad has a .jpeg extension.

The forum’s elderly software won’t automatically display files with a .jpeg extension, but it will automatically display files having the older .jpg extension (and files with a .png extension).

I don’t know how to easily alter a .jpeg file to a .jpg file on an iPad without using a file-management app or file-converting software, but I’ve added a ‘visible’ version of your photo to your posting to save a download being needed.

Derek

Many thanks for posting the image for me, I take it that your Rapido does not have this fixture ?

The Rapido handbook ( about 25mm thick ) just about details everything but that fitting.

Thanks to others, I will take a look when the snow is off the roof.

Its one of those fittings that look as if the screen should just pop out, but in reality doesn't !

Now If I had designed it ..................

Thanks to all

Thanks to all for your advice.

The screen is just a bit dirty and has the odd leaf, etc blow in on the other side of the screen. The handles work OK, it is that the screen is a little dirty.

She (who navigates) suggested a happy half hour with a dental bottle brush to clean the mesh holes.

Something to do on a rainy day later in the year ?

Rgds

Archived