Removing Thetford c224cw toilet

trialsrider

I'm going to fit a shower in my race van. It currently has a toilet room with a Thetford c224cw manual flush toilet in it. There is plenty of space to fit a shower and all the walls are vinyl lined already. Magnum motorhomes sell a suitable shower tray and toilet surround so it shouldn't be too much of a job.

Obviously I should have had the shower installed when the van was built but funds would not allow it. I've been looking in the Thetford manual at the fitting instructions and they are a bit vague. I want to know how to unscrew the toilet from the wall and floor. I really don't want to be pulling and lifting anything that shouldn't be pulled or lifted as at the end of the day it is just plastic.

In the c224cw fitting instructions it shows 4 screws holding the base of the toilet to the floor but that is it. It comes supplied with 4 screws too. On the other toilets in the c220 range it mentions 3 wall screws too. Does mine have these ?

Has anybody removed this toilet ? How do I access the floor screws and are there any screws in the back too ? If there are screws in the back going into the wall are these fitted from the front of the toilet i.e. inside the bathroom or from the rear ? The back of the wall that my toilet is fitted too is vinyl lined too so any screw heads are invisible and impossible to access.

IMG_20200615_192431_2_copy_715x530.jpg.10e5beb376de0743029720f3f187f305.jpg

As Keith says, I think you're going to have to find the mounting screws through the cassette aperture.

I can't vouch for that particular model, but on others the upright part at the rear drops onto a pre-mounted bracket right at the top (which, coincidentally, given your findings, is normally secured by 3 screws). There may be an amount of piping and electrics to detach once you've managed to unscrew the main part, but if it is as those others, once the main part of the loo is unscrewed and pulled forward, then the rear will simply lift upwards, leaving the bracket behind on the wall.

Thanks for all your great responses as usual. I've just ordered the shower tray from magnums so took the opportunity to ask the guy in the shop how to remove the loo. As you described it is 4 screws inside the cassette area for the floor then four screws in the flush rinse inlet area. You then pull forward and lift away. Hopefully the converter didn't use his own method !! Time will tell !!

Archived