Removing leisure batteries during storage

Emo

I have a 2011 Swift Kontiki 649 which is fitted with 2 110amp leisure batteries. I no longer have access to a mains hook up whilst in storage so is there any problem with removing the leisure batteries from the vehicle during an extended storage period for example over the winter and keeping them at home? Will this affect any of its systems? I don’t think so but just need to check!

Emo - 2020-05-22 12:36 PM

...Will this affect any of its systems?...

The simplistic answer is “No”.

If your Kontiki’s leisure batteries power anything electrical that stores ‘transitory’ data (eg. a date/time on a control panel) you would need to re-input such setting after reconnecting the batteries. And (obviously) if the leisure batteries power an alarm, the alarm will not operate with the batteries removed. But you’d just have to accept that as an unavoidable nuisance.

What do you plan to do about the motorhome’s starter battery?

Thanks for the quick response. The alarm and tracker operate from the vehicle battery so no issues there. I’m thinking about a portable solar panel with regulator to provide trickle charging for the vehicle battery and have just started to research this

Archived