Removing overhead lockers

nigxl

Wondering if anyone has done this in an Autotrail?

I'm wondering if they are maybe suspended from the frame somehow and if I need to remove the roof boards to gain access?

I've removed every screw I can see and feel but yet the bugger refuses to move.

Have you tried contacting Autotrail? Swift were very helpful when I wanted to relocate a TV mounting, providing drawings detailing the structure and fixing points. No reason to suppose Autotrail wouldn't be equally helpful. For the sake of an email it's got to be worth a try.

Derek Uzzell - 2019-06-09 9:17 AM

Have you tried lifting them vertically? It’s possible that (as you suggest) the locker is hung from ‘hooks’ behind it before being screwed to the wall.

I have tried lifting vertically, they don't budge.

I'm thinking that they may be attached to the roof rails somehow :-S

aandy - 2019-06-09 3:06 PM

Have you tried contacting Autotrail? Swift were very helpful when I wanted to relocate a TV mounting, providing drawings detailing the structure and fixing points. No reason to suppose Autotrail wouldn't be equally helpful. For the sake of an email it's got to be worth a try.

I'll give them a call this morning, thanks

As there isn't really that much holding MH shells rigid, apart from the furniture, I wouldn't be surprised (I'd like to expect?) any furniture that was in a corner to have fixings, of sorts, in both planes...?

If that is the case, then I hope any "unseen" fixing is mechanical(slide-into type of locating hook/bracket)and not great wodges of "glue"..? :-S

AutoTrail build their bodies 'inside out'.

They stand the body sides on steel 'platens' to ensure they are flat and square and then fit all the cupboards and internal furniture between the sides and rear panel. No screws can be fitted from outside in as the heads would then be on the outside of the body panels. Although some screws may go down through roof timbers before roof is added later in the process.

Try scanning the panels for hidden screws with a 'metal and stud detector'. This may give you a clue as to how they are secured.

From memory the fixing screws in our AT (a year later then yours) are through round plastic push in fittings near the panel edges.

Keith.

Keithl - 2019-06-10 9:27 AM

AutoTrail build their bodies 'inside out'.

They stand the body sides on steel 'platens' to ensure they are flat and square and then fit all the cupboards and internal furniture between the sides and rear panel. No screws can be fitted from outside in as the heads would then be on the outside of the body panels. Although some screws may go down through roof timbers before roof is added later in the process.

Try scanning the panels for hidden screws with a 'metal and stud detector'. This may give you a clue as to how they are secured.

From memory the fixing screws in our AT (a year later then yours) are through round plastic push in fittings near the panel edges.

Keith.

I have seen some screws coming through from the outside in.

This is on the end long vertical piece that forms part of the side of the front bed and then extends up to the roofline of the van also forming the edge of the overhead locker..

This is the piece I'd really like to remove.

I initially thought that they were screws that form part of the outer seam but could well be as you suggested just coming through from the framework

Nigel,

Do you mean the 'bulkhead' panel which separates the cab from the body and goes right across behind the front seats? If so I think this is a structural part which is the key to keeping the body sides straight during assembly on the platen and would be impossible to remove without separating the body from the chassis. I can't find photos to show the assembly but have seen them being built at the factory.

Keith.

Keithl - 2019-06-10 4:45 PM

Nigel,

Do you mean the 'bulkhead' panel which separates the cab from the body and goes right across behind the front seats? If so I think this is a structural part which is the key to keeping the body sides straight during assembly on the platen and would be impossible to remove without separating the body from the chassis. I can't find photos to show the assembly but have seen them being built at the factory.

Keith.

You're spot on Keith

Autotrail rang me back today and were very helpful in fairness.

They basically build up around the furniture and screw the frame to it from the sides and above before the roof goes on.

Looks like the damaged fablon type covering will have to be removed and replaced in situ.

I know a man who can take care of this luckily :D

Archived