Renault Master

Mel E

Just to add to Derek's posting on Ford Transit based motorhomes, the big news from Dusseldorf (and the Continental converters) is that the new Renault Master has suddenly become extremely popular. It's mainly replacing the Fiat Ducato as a base, perhaps not surprising with a completely new Sevel chassis due this year. But the new Master (also badged as the Vauxhall/Opel Movano and Nissan Interstar) is an excellent base. It has one of the best rides of any vehicle (compliant without being soft or bouncy and with well-controlled body roll) and the new range of engines is excellent. They are either Nissan engines or heavily influenced by Nissan (now controlled by Renault). The 3 litre is a high-performance gem, but the 115hp 2.5 litre is probably the best. Although 115hp does not sound a lot compared with 127 from the Fiat, what is important is the huge, flat torque curve of 290 Nm all the way from about 1400 rpm up to 3600 rpm. Coupled with the 6-speed box it is a joy to drive and gives excellent economy. Our new Master van conversion has averaged just under 28 mpg over its first 3500 miles which included some high speed cruising! And, joy of joys for a motorhome base vehicle, it is QUIET - you can chat at normal volumes in the cab. The build quality seems to be much improved from earlier models, but only time will tell the true story. The Master and its kin are built in Lyons, the smaller Trafic (also with Vauxhall/Opel/Nissan badged versions) in Dunstable.

Bill how reliable do you need Our last Renault was on the road 7 days/week 501 weeks/year When I sold it it had done 140,000 miles and had only been in the garage for the appointed services Even on the days it had been serviced we had to go out on deliveries That was a traffic and gave us a good ride 'almost' as good as a car We now have a 4 year old Renault/Devon, Monte Carlo This gives an een better ride and we can cruise down the autobhann or Autopiste all day at 75mph (110kph) and return 34mpg with a full load, roof rack & top box, two bikes on the back. In the past i have driven Fords, BMC, Citroen, Fiats Non compare with the Renault

I once owned a Renault car: on a good day it only broke down once or twice. That said, I had friends who had Renaults (cars) which went well – but also some who had troubles on the same scale as I did I have heard that their commercials are better than their cars, and certainly there are a lot of old Renault vans to be seen on campsites. One question: is the Renault Master/Vauxhall Movano/Nissan Interstar really French, British or Japanese? In other words, who is re-badging whom?

• 3 weeks later...
We've had several Renault cars (11, Clio, Megane and Scenic) and found them excellently reliable. However, I've just read the bit in the MMM mag about the problems with getting motorhomes fixed if they are on the Renault base vehicle - it's frightening .. where the heck do you take them??!?!!! At least you can find somewhere to take a Fiat motorhome if you need to!!!

Archived