Replacing Hymer locking water/hook up cover

Whiskeymac

My swinging water filler cover broke and was lost. I have a replacement cover, without lock barrel currently, but I can't work out how it is assembled and fitted. The pack includes cover, large and small spring, two small black plastic inserts.

Has anyone done this?  Are any fitting instruction available?

It looks to me that you need to access the rear to release the old lock.

If access from behind isn't possible then you will have to remove the entire fitting from the MH wall and reseal it when you refit.

Hopefully there will be enough slack in the filler hose to either allow sufficient movement away from the panel to either effect the repair or release the hose from the fitting.

Keith.

I removed my EHU inlet cover a while ago, which is the same arrangement. I removed the screws holding assembly to the sidewall and it pulled away easily to reveal the back of the lock. There are a pair of plastic lugs at the back and the presence of the lock barrel in the tubular moulding of the flap piece prevents them coming together to allow the flap moulding to be removed. My flap and lock were OK so I went no further but if I'd had to remove it, it clearly would have been necessary to remove the lock barrel. Even then I suspect the two lugs would need squeezing centrally from the rear to allow the flap to come off; you probably couldn't just pull the flap off.

Whether the lock barrel could be removed using one of the special red keys I doubt and I think you will need to remove the whole assembly from the sidewall. That's very easily done, just four screws, and a smear of silicone will reseal when you put it back so I shouldn't be concerned about that.

Yes this is the flap/cover I'm referring to.  Something behind the lock broke some time ago and when unlocked, the cover could be removed with the lock inside.  This could be lived with.  Recently I overfilled the water tank and had to go away whilst it vented access.  Unfortunately I forgot to shut it and it was lost on the journey.  I have no lock as a consequence. I have a replacement cover only, but I don't know how to fit it.  I am about to order a replacement lock barrel.  It seems that Hymer probably have sole control over replacement to match my other locks, so I will have to phone Brownhills.  I'll ask if they have an installation instruction sheet.

Archived