Replacing old solar panels

keninpalamos

5 or six years ago I fitted 2 Baird 100watt semi flex solar panels to my Autosleeper pop top. The reason for fitting semi flex panels was simple, they are lighter than the aluminium framed glass ridged type. As the roof is , for me, heavy to lift and is held up by large capacity gas struts, weight is an important factor. Baird seem to have a high failure rate. Some lasting under 2 years. Mine have lasted 5 years and both failed at the same time, where as the 2 100watt glass/ aluminium units on my other motorhome are some 10 years old and still have a very good output for their age. Anyone recommend a good semi flex 100watt brand? Thanks.

Installing methods have a significant effect on flexible panel service life .

This article outlines techniques that have proved sucessful in reducing heat and stress effects to on the panel.

https://www.exotronic.com.au/buying/flexible-solar-panel-mounting-instruction-guide/

High quality flexible panels are not easily available in UK and are expensive. Cost effective panels from Renogy or Sunpower, both with a 5year warranty could be an alternative.

Mike

Thank you for your reply. My van being a low profile “pop top” camper was bought specifically for its low profile at under 2 metres which seems to be the standard for height barriers in the UK and Europe so adding anything to the roof has to be no higher than a centimetre or two at the most. Another reason for the type of panel I’m after. I checked out your link on fitting and understand the over heating problems that can happen when fixed directly to the roof panel. Most pop top campers use a fibre glass or rolled plastic roof such as Reimo which seems ok according to the link. In fact similar to boat manufactures which semi flex panels are marketed at. The only thing I may change is to drop the use of sikaflex for a good silicone which I will investigate further although a reason is not given against the use of Sikaflex. As the name suggests it does flex allowing a panel to expand and contract when heated. The only reason I can see against it’s use is when it comes to removing old panels. It took me an hour. ?? Anyway I’ll take a look at the names you recommend. Thanks

Archived