Responsible wild camping

Guest starspirit

Guest starspirit
I for one resent having to pay silly money for full caravan site facilities when all I need is a safe parking spot for the night from 6 pm to 9 am with access to the three liquid requirements once every few days and no other use of any site facilities. I also resent being herded together with all they there tuggers and all the other purportedly 'friendly' motor home users who all wave to you gleefully on the road and then once on site hibernate into their vans or just totally ignore you. I know I am not alone in seeking basic overnight facilities which is why I support Dawn Rogers in her Aire de Service application (see Aire de Service - Pembrokeshire) Will anyone else who sees and agrees with this please also add their support. If MMM are so supportive of freedom motor caravanning why do we only ever see expensive sites in the four tenners reports? And why when they are already so well advertised do so many CC and CCC club sites appear? It would not be so bad if these clubs supported motor caravanners but they do not - especially the Caravan Club who are openly hostile to motor caravans, wild camping (even on legal car parks) and one night stops on their sites. I know I am a grumpy old man who is too tight to pay fifteen quid for an overnight stop - and furthermore I am proud of it and will never change! Roll on a full Aire de Service network in the UK even if it does take twenty more years. Come on people - inundate Pembrokeshire County Council - PLEASE Richard

I'm in agreement with you starspirit. I've only just bought my van after renting one to go around Scotland for 10 days earlier in the year. It was great. never stayed on a campsite, just in car-park or a lay-by with a beautiful view. One of the reasons for owning my campervan is to enable me to see many places in a short space of time, staying for 1, maybe 2 nights max (or 4 if you're at a festival :-)). Another was to save on accommodation costs, which surely is a good reason not to stay on site.

Am I missing something about the argument for an introduction into the UK of an aires de services network akin to that of France? Haven't we already got a widespread network of reasonably priced CLs and CSs where a motorcaravanner can doss down for the night in a calm and secure environment? As far as French aires are concerned, I'm absolutely convinced that only a tiny number 'pay their way' and I'm very wary of the contention that the introduction of an aire automatically generates revenue for the French town where it's located. I happen to be a parish councillor in a very rural Herefordshire village and I'm sure that the whole council would be resistant to the idea of a motorhome aire de services here, even though the area relies heavily on tourism. We have a CL close to our village and an excellent campsite in the nearby town near to the centre. Surely these facilities should be sufficient for visiting motorcaravanners? If you really insisted on wild-camping there are plenty of places where nobody would stop you. Whether you would enjoy the experience is quite another matter - certainly I wouldn't care to try it!

We've just returned from 2 lovely weeks spent in France, we only stayed on one campsite, on our final night there, due to their being no aires nearby. We have stayed in some lovely locations and were always made welcome by the locals. We spent our money in their shops and markets and bought fuel there as well. We prefer to stay on these aires rather than in campsites - last year we did about 50/50 - and found this year that we enjoyed the experience much more as we were able to potter around the town after tea and see which parts of the village/town we wanted spend our morning in, also we were able to mingle with the locals and see the real 'life' of the villages as many of them don't come alive until into the evening. Staying on campsites has some advantages of course, but we feel it does isolate us from the real experience of being in another country, lets be honest, how many people who stay on a campsite bother to go out in the evening into the local town? Most people will stay on their pitch all night, behind privacy blinds or net curtains, and not appear again until the morning. In this country it is possible to do some wild camping but it's not something that we do that often as it's difficult to find places to do so (Scotland and Wales excepted). We do make use of CLs but they are not as cheap as they were and often are not as accessible or nearby places we want to visit. The only time we ever stay on the main Caravan Club sites is when we've got some free night vouchers to use up (and intersperse these with CLs) and keep them for the expensive times of year such as Christmas/New Year, Easter, summer etc. Even if the UK had aires I don't believe that this would cause any major problems for the campsites or CLs/CSs as they will still be supported by those who prefer to set-up for a few days which you can't really do that easily on an aire, especially if you need to go out in the 'van during the day as you could easily find your spot taken upon your return. What it would do is give those of us who want it, the freedom to not have to book sites all the time - having to be in a certain place because you have booked it is very restrictive and to me goes against the basic premise of having a motorhome in the first place - to enjoy your 'freedom', especially if you find something interesting along the way and want to spend more time in that area rather than rush to your pre-booked campsite. On our France trip the savings we made by not having to pay for campsites more than paid for the ferry crossing and the dogs' vet checks, not to mention the savings in fuel costs, so for us I'm afraid unless the UK gets some aires to encourage us to spend more of our holiday time here, for our 2 major holidays each year it's going to continue to be mainland Europe. As for French aires paying their way, judging by the number of motorhomers who use them and the numbers we saw tottling into the shops and restaurants, they do contribute quite a lot to the economy of those areas. Most of the aires only have the usual fresh water/waste water & refuse disposal points, nothing more, but that didn't seem to put people off staying there. There is a cost of course to providing these facilities but as most of them charge for the use (2 euros for water) this plus the money they spend in the town must surely cover the costs and a bit more besides otherwise why would they be creating more new aires? As for Derek's council not wanting an aire, I wouldn't think they would, that's the problem. Until the attitude that motorhomers are a nuisance is discounted they won't welcome us and realise what benefits we can bring by putting money into the local business economy. I'd quite happily spend money in villages etc that welcome us, having a meal out etc and I'm sure many others would too, at least then you can relax and have a pleasant evening without having to worry about driving back to your campsite in the dark, usually in an out of the way location. Just out of interest, Derek, have you ever stayed on an aire anywhere? From your comments I gleam the answer to this is probably no but I'm not totally clear. If you haven't done so then please do try it before you dismiss it - some of the aires in France are absolutely lovely, next to the beach, edge of rivers etc. If you have tried it then what was your experience?

Like Derek a Parish Councillor, School Governor, chair of planning committee for some years as well. I started our own village Parish Council in the early 80's. No more though as I have more interesting things to do with my time and got totally brassed off with the all talk and no do associated with being a local Councillor. I find I can achieve more without the constraints of being a councillor. But all we need is to rid ourselves of the burden of the breed who were once called Gypsies but who now bear no resemblence to them. If the fear of such encampments and the dire mess these groups leave behind were removed then facilities for responsible Motorhomers would be forthcomming. Peculiarly enough similar itinerants in France do not seem to make anything like the mess they do here. ????? C.

I have just spent a very enjoyable weekend on a CS at Pickering and have used CL's/CS's many times before. However, some of my experiences do not give me confidence that the CL/CS network can and does provide for the motorhome fraternity. The Pickering one was in an ideal location just behind the North Yorks Moors Railway but - the water/waste facilities are inaccessible to motorhomes. This is the point I feel about having and using aires. Quite apart from any cost concerns (and the fact that the CC are more concerned with actively encouraging CL owners to put in elec hook ups), many CL's and CS's have poor facilities for motorhomes and/or are in poor locations relative to the town or village. This is not just for overnighting but also for daytime parking and I doubt any CL or CS would look favourably upon anyone wanting to just park there for the day. My initial approach to the council here in Guisborough was, in fact, to have suitable daytime parking facilities for motorhomes. Even though I am not likely to use them myself, I felt it was something that visiting motorhome users needed and what I would like to see elsewhere. Once the discussions started it was just a short step, however, to having the designated parking made into an overnight stopover point. But it was, initially, the attitude of just one person, in one department (parking) that blocked any serious attempt at having such a facility. The possibility that it would attract itinerants and unauthorised CAR WASHERS! were his main reasons for objecting. Having used aires in France I believe Mel is correct and people do use the town more than those using the campsites - which are also more often out of town - and the council's own tourism officers here (having considered my proposal for the last 18 months or so) support that view. It is just a matter of getting those involved to DO something instead of just TALKING about something. It is for everyone to make up their own minds on where to stay but having the choice can't be a bad thing to my mind. If you feel you would like to see aires in this country and are prepared to take a few minutes to help a fellow motorhome user to get just one local authority to establish one then please see my thread 'First Municipal Aire' below and contact my council to express your support. Regards, david

How interesting to have different viewpoints but I don`t think Derek appears to have grasped the points raised.Freedom of choice and the local economies would prosper within town or village aires as opposed to out of town CL`s/CS`s. I vote for aires.Let`s get the Guisborough or Pembroke one through,keep them clean and tidy and back the particular town/city/village by visiting them ,keeping them clean and spending our monies there. If we all did this then other councils may sit up and take note. Sorry Derek but I sincerely hope you are overuled on this one. (lol) (lol)

Guest starspirit
Yes Derek, with respect, I think you are missing several things with your argument. It is of course both good and neccessary to hear the other side of the argument in order to arrive at a balanced choice but let's get some points clarified shall we? As others have said CL's & CS's are available - but only to members of the CC & CCC respectively (The MCC has a few but not many as yet). CL's & CS's often tend to be in the country on farms, well away from villages and small towns, and are mainly Touring Caravan orientated in respect of facilities, slope and ground suitability in the wet. Have you ever tried emptying and refilling a motor home's liquids on some farm sites? This is not a critiscism - just a statement of the way things are set up. They are also becoming increasing costly with electric becoming increasingly 'included' in the price. I don't want electric so why the heck should I pay for it to subsidise those who do - selfish ain't I - but I don't pay my neigbours electric bill at home and I sure as bluebells ain't gonna pay it on holiday! These issues are not a problem for those for whom these sites are designed, ie tourers with cars, but it is more of an issue for those of us who want to be more mobile, service our van more readily, and able to enjoy the locale on foot. Whether any motor caravanner would still want to be a member of the CC following their much publicised and unhelpful attitude towards motor caravanners is another separate but related issue. I left when they began charging for electric. I personally love camping wild. The absolute freedom is wonderful and some of the exquisite views and morning doggy walks have to be experienced to be believed - and all without any mess or inconvenience to anyone. Tell me Derek - have you ever used a motor home? Richard

This thread started off with a truly lopside view - all camp site users are uncommicative caravanners, etc, etc. The thread is NOT about Aires, but is headed Wild Camping. Aires in France are great - and I don't mind that more are beginning to make a small charge to cover maintenance, etc. More in the UK would also be great, but think: No Cash-strapped Local Authority is going to invest in a free camp site unless it brings reasonable income into the immediate area. This has to be a lot more than a newspaper and a pint of milk. The site fees paid at 'normal' campsites provide employment, and revenue, a lot of which is recycled into the local economy - repair of grass cutting machinery, site repairs and maintenance, and so on. They also tend to encourage much longer stays which again has campers spending money in local retaurants as well as shops. I lived in a small village for 26 years and I have to say, I would have probably opposed any plans to build an Aire on the edge of the village. Different, perhaps, because there was no longer any village commerce to support, except the pub. But, with a weight restricted village road, there was almost no through traffic and it was delightfully quiet - we can all remember the change when the restriction came into force. Ten or 15 motorhomes and caravans arriving and departing each day would disturb that. So it's important to pick aires that do not compromise the locals' enjoyment of their location. The French have mostly done so well.

[QUOTE]Mel E - 2006-07-05 12:02 PM This thread started off with a truly lopside view - all camp site users are uncommicative caravanners, etc, etc. The thread is NOT about Aires, but is headed Wild Camping. Aires in France are great - and I don't mind that more are beginning to make a small charge to cover maintenance, etc. More in the UK would also be great, but think: No Cash-strapped Local Authority is going to invest in a free camp site unless it brings reasonable income into the immediate area. This has to be a lot more than a newspaper and a pint of milk. The site fees paid at 'normal' campsites provide employment, and revenue, a lot of which is recycled into the local economy - repair of grass cutting machinery, site repairs and maintenance, and so on. They also tend to encourage much longer stays which again has campers spending money in local retaurants as well as shops. I lived in a small village for 26 years and I have to say, I would have probably opposed any plans to build an Aire on the edge of the village. Different, perhaps, because there was no longer any village commerce to support, except the pub. But, with a weight restricted village road, there was almost no through traffic and it was delightfully quiet - we can all remember the change when the restriction came into force. Ten or 15 motorhomes and caravans arriving and departing each day would disturb that. So it's important to pick aires that do not compromise the locals' enjoyment of their location. The French have mostly done so well.[/QUOTE] Hi Mel E Yes I agree with all of that, although would say that it is important not to object to such facilities but to ensure that they are done with sympathy for the area they are in. For instance, the Guisborough area has, in recent years, encouraged tour bus companies to visit the town and have provided special coach parking to cater for them. To add a few motorhomes coming and going wouldn't add too much disruption (caravans would most definitely be prohibited) and, with designated parking, would stop the present difficulty of motorhome users trying to park on the old cobbled market place with its narrow spaces and hefty slope. In all honesty, if the local authority does go ahead and chooses to instal water/waste facilities too (I have made the point that coach companies often use such facilities where they are provided) they may also make a small charge for it and I don't think this is unreasonable given the initial investment it would take and the ongoing maintenance too. I know the thread is about Wild Camping and, in that regard, I do not regularly wild camp because, at present, we do not feel entirely safe - although this may change as time goes by and I would certainly contemplate it in an emergency. My alternative view to wild camping or the use of CL/CS sites is to develop motorhome specific facilities along the lines of Aires. But I do recognise that local authorities are not going to take the initiative themselves (unless most of the council happened to be motorhome users themselves) and so it falls to those of us who do use them, and have experience of facilities other than campsites, to take the initiative. It is only in this way that things do change and councils are able to keep up with the changes in the leisure/tourism industry. I hope, therefore, that I haven't 'deflected' the thread. Regards, david

Guest starspirit
Well that got the debate going didn't it! C'mon folks - let's have some more - all viewpoints welcome! The thread is headed 'responsible wild camping', and to me wild camping means not using dedicated caravan and camping sites, but using other not illegal but available means of parking and servicing my motor home. Responsible means not leaving a mess and not obstructing or inconveniencing anyone else, or leaving any trace of my visit, and I stand by this policy. It follows that the need for water etc. means that an Aire type of stopover, for which I would expect to and be happy to pay a reasonable fee, would be ideal for people like us. More particularly so if it is situated within easy walking distance to places of interest. Some might expect things for free but I am realistic and happy to pay a sensible fee as I do appreciate the costs involved in setting up and running the operation be it private or council. I don't buy the 'caravan sites mean jobs view'. The vast majority of campsites are a small family run business employing very few people and in any event their loss of trade would be minimal as most of us wildies don't use them anyway. Perhaps if they decide that they do want our overnight trade they might consider a suitable price reduction for limited stay of perhaps 18 hours only? In any event some competition to their monopoly might not be such a bad thing. Meanwhile I don't support the view that I have to support them even though their product does not suit me. It's called supply and demand. The length of stay is not relevant to revenue - it is the number of 'people days' in the area that count as any seaside trader will tell you. 10 one day motor caravan visitors per day will likely spend as much if not more in 7 days than 10 people staying for 7 days. In any event these 10 one day visitors would much rather spend their money somewhere motor home friendly than where we are unwelcome. Not all camp site users are uncommunicative but if you have doing this as long as I have you will doubtless be aware of the change in sociability on sites and if one of the reasons for using a site was for meeting people and conversation that aspect is fading rapidly. The fact that people really do seem to think that we motor caravanners are a noisy messy bunch of freeloaders and they don't want any of us near them or their village is the real problem and until or unless we can dispel this untrue view we are always going to struggle, as Mel's reference to his opposition to an Aire near his village suggests. Richard

All very interesting, but, can someone please explain how CLs, CSs (with or without hook ups) and French Aires (or their German or Italian equivalents) come to be classified as "wild camping".  I had, until now, taken this term to refer to informal camping (with or without landowner's permission!) in locations where there are no external services facilities and the 'van must, perforce, rely entirely upon its on-board reserves for the duration.

CLs and CSs, as has already been said, cater mainly for the needs of tuggers, and were initially created with support from the two main clubs for that purpose.  It isn't therefore surprising that membership is a pre-requisite for their use.

Aires do come in a variety of shapes and sizes, some being very rudimentary and scruffy, others being little more than car parks with a dump point - and a water tap I certainly wouldn't use (why, oh why, do people use the drinking water tap to rinse out their toilet cassettes?) - to delightfully located little gems of the type Mel seems to have found.  However, they surely can't be covered within the normal definition of "wild".  Do we need a new dictionary?

Can one "wild camp" responsibly?  Yes, of course.  To be responsible you should of course first have the permission of any landowner, or understand what is legally permissible on land that is apparently "common".  If abroad, the latter can be a bit of a challenge since although common land in England is, I believe, a Norman concept, in France (where the Normans famously embarked for England ) and elsewhere the concept seems not to have existed, or to have been abolished.  For example, I believe all such land in France is now deemed to belong to the state - meaning it is subject to normal French statute law. 

Having got that out of the way, the normal country and camping codes should ensure that you cause no nuisance, dispose of no waste, uproot no growing plants, neither cut nor damage trees or shrubs, and remove and replace turf for fire sites, leaving behind you only your tyre prints.  To avoid the allegation of nuisance it seems one should not congregate in groups larger than about 5, should not park where you spoil or block views, shouldn't "hog" amenity spaces to the disadvantage of others, and should not create noise or smell.

Not really difficult with a bit of care and tought: but it is amazing how many motorhomers (and others) can't achieve it!

That, sadly, being the case, and with an ever growing number of motorhomes trundling around the roads of Europe, I can only foresee increasing restriction until, in reality, wild camping becomes illegal except, perhaps, on private property with owners permission.

Pity, isn't it?  One more innocent freedom lost.

For what it's worth, here's my tuppence worth. I think that the majority of motorhome users would be responsible in using Aires and we try our best to be clean and tidy if we wild camp, however, if there were to be areas set aside for overnight stops etc etc, you can bet your bottom dollar they would be full of travellers within days of opening. And thats one of the main reasons (I believe) that there are not many available.

Lets be sure on one thing, if unsupervised aires were installed in this country, they would soon be used by the "travellers"and anyone who as seen what they leave behind, and the cost of cleaning up at council tax payers expence will agree it will not work. Dont ask me why this does not happen abroad, I dont know but over here the "travellers" even have there own legal representation with them and normally can stay for one week before a court order is enforceable. Now I would love to have as many aires around the country as possible, and also see hieght barriers made illegal, and things done to make motorcaravannig as unrestrictive as possible, but I also live in the real world, and can only agree with Dericks views. Chas

euroanchor and chas I think you`ve hit the nail on the head,our so called travellers,gypsies or whatever they are referred to now cause mayhem and leave untold amounts of c*** wherever they go. Perhaps if we could find a way of stopping them using either wild camping spots or even aires(provided we ever get any) then surely councils or landowners(whoever they may be) may allow us the freedom of choice. Anyone got any answers? Please no obscene or lewd ones!! :-S :-S

Guest starspirit
The one deterent that might work for so called 'travellers' is the cost bit. As far as I am aware paying for anything is alien to their natures and so long as a sensible charge - like for example a pay and display - is being enforcably made this ought to deter them? After all pay and display car parks that all seem to have a 'no sleeping in units' notice do not seem to attract them and many such car parks are in nice places and have loos and a tap available. Or am I being naive in my innocence. Richard

hi starspirit, so a sign saying that payment would have to be paid would send them away quaking in their boots, I think not, I have seen parks, car parks with hieght barriers, broken into, barriers smashed down, and the illegal campsites set up, with large dog kennels in place, can you imagine what poor old plod must think when confronted with all this, best to get back to the station and see what the sarge says. No I am afraid the bill on human rights has a lot to answere for and greater minds than mine have not come up with a solution, other than banning it for all. Chas

We had no problems wild camping in the 70's and 80's. The problem is that there are now too many of us motorhomers and like all things it was more fun in the beginning than it is when regulations, planning law and profit motives come into the equasion. We had our converted coach before hippies came onto the scene. Imagine taking a converted coach to Stonehenge today! Well we did without any problems whatsoever. On the other hand many parts of the UK are being developed - built on. What would you prefer? houses at between 11 and 16 to the acre (as laid down by government in the south) or a quality motorhome aire next door? None is not an option. I wish them luck. What is a CL anyway, I don,t think we have ever been on one. Used a C&CC site once only. C.

Derek Just had a quick look at your entry for the thread you mention, I'm a bit confused though, how can you only have spent 36 euros for 5 nights camping in France in June? I know that some are cheap, but that seems extremely cheap? Just over 7 euros a night? Why is it okay to have aires in France, which you use, but not in England for those who do not want to go abroad all the time, or at all in some cases? I hesitate to use the phrase "Not in my back-yard" but it seems a bit like that, hopefully I've got the wrong end of the stick.

Now, before you poke each other's eyes out, there is one huge difference between France and most of the UK, that speaks volumes about the difficulty in finding, funding, and siting, aires in UK and probably goes some way to explain why our resident itinerants (if that isn't a contradiction in terms) cause us so much ire.

The difference is land, its availability and cost.  France has lots, lots of which is thinly populated.  Look at the incidence of campsites/aires NE of Paris up to the Belgian border though.  Denser population, higher valued property and fewer aires/sites.  QED?

You need cheap, available land for these things, even in France. 

Then look at the UK.  It has a much smaller landmass than France with about the same population.  The comparison is even more stark if you leave Scotland out of the picture and just talk about England - as we undoubtedly should nowadays! 

Then factor in the huge imbalance of population between N & S of England and you can see why practically no-one can afford to develop campsites or aires in the SE.  The land is just far too expensive for such low revenue uses: there is far too much pressure from other potential users with much greater financial clout.

The itinerants, however, just settle on whatever they can find, usually in the nice, crowded, wealthy (so they tell me!) South East, and can't understand why no one wants them as temporary neighbours!  The answer, to a great extent extent, is that so many more people can see the mess they make and leave, whereas, in the depths of rural france, the mess is much less apparent and so, consequently, are the itinerants. 

Now, motorhomers have (sort of) caravans, and so do the itinerants.  Not much difference there then.  Let one lot in and you'll have the others alongside before you can say Jack Robinson.  Quite true Colonel, quite true.  How glad I am you took over as chairman of the planning committee.  Hrrrmph!

But seriously, I do think there is every possibility that French style aires really wouldn't work this side of the Channel.  They would be targeted by itinerants, they would amost certainly be vandalised with great regularity by the local intelligentsia, they'd always be full of cars and light vans, and they couldn't be cheap.  If they are to work over here, we'll need to develop our own flavour of motorhome service point, I think in conjunction with local tourist boards and the local authorities, to perhaps allow controlled overnight parking on some of our urban car parks that are otherwise underutilised at night.  There would have to be a realistic charge and stringent control over access, with the water fill point and any electric take off coin operated and only accessible by token.  How you keep the occupants of the 'vans unmolested by the happy throng wending their way home from the pub though, I have no idea!

Regards

[QUOTE]Mel B - 2006-07-05 7:43 PM Derek Just had a quick look at your entry for the thread you mention, I'm a bit confused though, how can you only have spent 36 euros for 5 nights camping in France in June? I know that some are cheap, but that seems extremely cheap? Just over 7 euros a night? [/QUOTE] Municipal sites w/o electric from mid May to mid June prices ranged from 5€ to 12€, at least where we were. I'd settle for the equivalent of municipal sites in UK nevermind Aires, ie good value and convenient for towns, only Scotland seems to have grasped this one. [ooops, sorry - and South Shields] B-)

Guest starspirit
OK then, hands up all of us that would settle for using (and paying and displaying for the benefit) an under used town or city car park say from 6.00pm to 9.00am or whatever the quietest period happens to be in that location? Followed by paying for a day's parking to explore the town, and for madam navigating officer to find some nice clothes she never knew she needed, and all by park and ride bus - ah well it was a nice dream! So who really need electric for an overnight stop or two anyway - surely not? Just two taps, two pits and a bin will suffice for most of us and well worth a fiver if it's known spot one can aim to be at for a certain time without pre-booking. Not much cost involved to set this up on a trial basis somewhere surely? You can park up on Motorway service areas for a silly fee but it is noisy, but then again it does guarantee an early start next day if you want to press on! You don't often see the dross abusing these pay sites - wonder why? Keep up the comments folk. Richard

CS/CL ? I asume CS refers to certified site, we often use these, but as many that take our fancy, i.e. hide away sites, are own sanitation, we are limited untill we get new van, same goes for wild camping. I believe CS's are open to anybody? was told once they have to reserve X number pitchs for C&CC members, we where members for 1 year. We have never been in a bad CS yet, but then I would rather 'rough it' than stay in a big sophisticated site. The arguement for building 'aires' seems to be to attract people to an area, but it seems to me (as a country lad) that most towns are crowded with limited parking, so why bother with the expence of an 'aires' for a few campers, or do we go down the french route of high taxation to pay for them? I can see little hope for an 'aires' network in this country when there are discusions in townhalls on having to pay for the wieght of rubbish you produce and congestion charging and any other scheme to squeeze the tax payer

hi starspirit, could we also have a hands up who would like to stay on a city or town car park after 6pm to 9am with their vans costing many thousands of pounds when the drunks and boy racers come out to play after throwing out time...... chas

Archived