Restrictive Covenants and Motorhomes

Mel E

Just read the useful interchange on the above. May I clarify a couple of points: 1. A motorhome is, in law, a motor caravan and is registered as such (up to 3.5 tonnes MAM). Though much of the law applying to cars also applies to motor caravans, some does not. They are a distinct vehicle category. 2. Covenants are usually applied by the builder or previous land owner, and the first step is to seek written permission from them. In many new towns, the 'previous land owner' is often English Partnerships who compulsorily purchase land from the farmers. They never give permission to break any of their covenants. 3. However, as was pointed out, it is perfectly legal to park any taxed, registered vehicle on the public highway, provided that it is not parked illegally nor causing an obstruction. One problem with this is that, on new developments, the streets may not be adopted by the local council, thus becoming public highway, for up to 3 or even 5 years after building work is completed. Then the developer/English Partnerships is quite legally able to prevent you parking there. 4. I think, as responsible motorhome owners, we must look at this as well from our neighbours' point of view. We talked to any neighbours who would be affected, chose a plot where we could park the m/h down the side and separated by a tall hedge from the properties at that side, then covered it with a Protex dark green cover to further camoflage it. No problems so far. 5. Be aware that many insurers have almost impossible requirements of professional storage locations if your insurance is to remain in force, so don't even consider one until you've consulted your insurers first. Hop that helps a bit!

Motor caravans over 3500 KG MAM/GVW sre registed as Private/HGV and different rules apply in a number of areas (e.g., speed limits). However, I have no idea how it would be treated under a covenant. I suspect it depends on size and that the largest Private/HGV - up to 7500KGs MAM/GVW - would, self evidently, declare itself unparkable in a modern estate where such covenant normally apply.

Archived