Retracting steps failure.

capnjaj

I have an AutoTrail 635 SE 2008, The other day the steps just stooped working while we were parked up, they retracted when I locked the doors but now don't open at all whatever I do.

I have checked the handbook, there is supposed to be an override button, but I can't find it, the EC325 Sargent Power Supply is OK, as are all the fuses. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

I am in the South of France so not easy to phone Autotrail.

Thanks for that Rich. We did have a lot of rain on the West coast before we came over here to Agde. I would have thought that would have dried out by now. I will just have to keep hauling myself up to the door every night or dry out myself.

Have you had that happen to you?

Yes - it can happen on pretty much any van from time to time, but layouts with the hab door behind the rear wheels are more prone as they get all the crud and water directed at them when driving.

Our A/S Executive had several sessions of regusing to either open or close in heavy rain on the way down and on the way back from the Pyrenees recently, although it was fine when we were touring about and it was dry(ish).

When I'm in the mood I'll take it apart, look for any issues and find a way to reseal it as a preventative. I'll also fit bigger mudflaps to stop the step getting covered in crud!

Clive’s advice will be relevant to older Omni-Steps, but I’m not sure whether this will still be the case with the latest versions. For example, manual extension and retraction of my 2015 Rapido’s step is performed by a switch that has two separate ‘rockers’ rather than having a single two-way rocker and (I think) later steps use some sort of PCB rather than a simple relay.

There’a a 2011-dated sample wiring diagram here

http://www.omnistorawnings.co.uk/content/12_volt_wiring_diagram/

Thanks John & Derek for your advice, my steps look more like the sketch Derek sent in.

I have found a wire, a pair actually, that look like they have had a rough time, connectors where they should not be and tape peeling off. I''ll fix that soon as I get to a store that sells electrical bits and see if that works, if not then it will have to wait till I get back to UK.

This is my maiden trip with my first MH, exploratry you might say, working out what to take with me for next time and what to leave behind, some electrical tools will be with me next time for sure. Meantime I will try to "find " an old box or crate to use as a step.

Thanks again

George

capnjaj - 2015-09-21 7:26 PM

This is my maiden trip with my first MH, exploratry you might say, working out what to take with me for next time and what to leave behind, some electrical tools will be with me next time for sure. Meantime I will try to "find " an old box or crate to use as a step.

Thanks again

George

As well as all the usual tools may I suggest that you also consider, if you don't already have them, a cheap digital multimeter, a set of good quality jump leads, a fault code reader, a tow rope, an led torch, an old mat to lay on under the van, and a cuddly toy.

You are correct that many post 2009 vehicles use a purpose made electronic Step Control Module that is designed to monitor the power drawn by the Motor to prevent overload, etc.

For example when the step is fully retracted, the Step Controller prevents Motor damage, should the button by depressed longer than necessary, by detecting the high current draw of the stalled motor so cuts the power.

Supposed to reduce the prevalence of burnt out motors.

They sometimes have their own connection to the Alternator D+ circuit so that when the engine starts, the Alternator D+ signals the step controller to retract at the same time the Ignition Warning light is 'put out'.

Sometimes it is the Step Controller unit that 'beeps' if the step is left out when the engine is started. They can be quite sophisticated.

Unfortunately the installation is not always that well thought out, such as some of the Tributes building the Step Controller close to the back of the step switch, which means it is under the Sink.

These use an Arsilicii ES803 Step module. If you have one, waterproof the module.

Hymers often use a Schaudt EMS01/03 step controller module, very reliable.

Most common issue we see is a poor earth connection under the step itself where it is open to the elements. This issue sometimes starts with a slow extend/retract problem (power to the Step Motor is restricted by the poor conductivity) which gets worse.

Occasionally a poor connection will cause the Step controller to 'see' a bigger current draw than normal so it thinks the Motor has stalled, so cuts power with the step only part way in/out.

If pulling/pushing the step to assist the motor when the switch is depressed helps it to work normally, suspect a poor connection.

If you hear a grinding noise when the step operates, suspect sand/grit in the mechanism : Dismantle and clean.

If the steps jam out you can 'Hotwire' the motor + with 12v and a secondary earth to the chassis if you need to drive.

Regarding current Thule-branded steps, there’s a good deal of information about these products on the Thule website, including downloadable user manuals and parts diagrams (example here)

http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products/rv-accessories/security/steps/thule-step-12v-double-380-_-thule%20step%2012v%20double%20380

The arrangement with Thule electric steps seems to be that one can choose to have full manual control, or manual control with automatic retraction when the vehicle’s motor is started (a relay needs to be added), or there’s an optional ‘Electronic Set’ comprising a control-box and switch/door-contact that allows various opening/closing choices.

My Rapido’s Thule slide-out step should auto-retract when the motorhome’s motor is started, but (apparently) there’s no buzzer/light to indicate that it has done so. Fortunately ;-) the step squeals sufficiently loudly when it retracts that it can be heard doing so from the driver’s seat.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to everyone who gave advice. I was not able to fix the steps so when I got home to Norwich I took the MH to DEM who found the step motor was drawing more than 3 amps and then cutting out.

I contacted Wellsbridge and found that retracting step are not covered by their warranty, just like the reversing cameras.

They agreed to supply a new step and motor for me to have fitted by DEM.

So everything got fixed in the end. :-D

Archived