Reversing Cameras at night

laimeduck

I use the reversing camera as a rear view mirror. Its great in daytime. Its virtually useless at night as the Infra Red sensors pick up the headlights & a virtual white out screen illuminating the cab is what you get.

Not a particular problem - I simply turn it off.

However - just a thought? - Would it be possible to turn off the Infra Red sensors somehow & just use natural light?

(I have no knowledge of electronics so it would have to be simple - like a switch labelled off and on!)

Apologies if this is a silly question

Jeremy

It's not a silly question but, realistically, the answer is No unless the system has been designed to include the on/off capability you are interested in.

It's possible (I guess) that dual-lens cameras, where one lens is used only when reversing and the other lens used just as a 'rear-view mirror', may have IR LEDs only on the former lens to side-step the problem you've mentioned.

Like you, I switch mine off at night if the glare irritates me.

I'm not an expert but believe you can switch of infra red LED's by covering them with tape. Whether this will do any good is debateable. CCD cameras are better at night than the cheaper CMOS. Tilting the camera down will also reduce glare but also reduce distance. If you go to reversingcamerasuk.com you will find a lot of information and photos of different conditions night and day.

Pete

If the camera is mounted high on the vehicle and tilted down then the glare will be greatly reduced. If it is pointing straight back then glare is to be expected.

It is nothing to do with the IR LEDs being on or off. There is a light sensor in the camera. When the ambient light drops to a low level the IR LEDs will automatically turn on. Pointing car headlights at the camera should cause the IR LEDs to turn off, although there is a built-in time delay.

There is no provision on reversing cameras to manually turn off the LED switching.

Trying to locate and cover the light sensor will also not work. The sensor is positioned a small distance behind the outer glass. Hence light can reach the sensor from the side if covered.

Keeping the glass clean will help.

In general the cheaper CMOS technology is less sensitive to light than CCD technology. Therefore the IR LEDs will be set to turn on at a greater light level than that of a CCD camera. Their poorer sensitivity to light gives a more grainy image.

Archived