Reversing/Rear view camera

DickB

My existing combined rear view and reversing camera has been very erratic for some time. The camera was changed at vast expense tono avail. Subsequent checks apparently showed a cable problem which was supposed to be fixed. There is still a problem with the picture disappearing and also the reversing element failing at a critical moment.

Clearly this intermittent problem is difficult to resolve so I am considering a new wireless system. Can anyone advise what wireless system they have and how successful it is?

Dick

I have just fitted an Auto-Vox W7 on a 7.5 mtr (24.5 foot) Hobby 725, purchased from Amazon.

Install was straightforward and easily within the capabilities of anyone with DIY skills.

I fitted the power unit and transmitter in the the rear nearside light fitting and connected the power supply to the reversing light circuit.

There are lots of You Tube videos featuring this camera and how to install it.

Resolution is adequate for a reversing camera but would not be good enough for a dash cam. Range is impressive; I connected the monitor to a power source and got a clear picture at a 100 yards from the van.

The photo below is of the actual image from my camera and of the light fitting, I placed the transmitter in the white junction for protection from water ingress.

van5100kb.jpg.8f57ee17a7278a7985b542f0351b492b.jpg

van4100kb.jpg.13a7a8f383ec74ecf694c2254fb6cfc9.jpg

Dick

I believe you own a 2013 Ducato-based Adria motorhome, but I’m not sure you’ve ever said which model you have. (This probably would not matter if you were looking at installing another ‘wired’ system, but it might if you wanted to go ‘wireless’.)

You recently mentioned that you had a (secondhand) "Waeco reversing and rear view system”

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/What-make-model-of-reversing-camera-to-fit-/55488/

which I take to mean that the camera is the twin-lens type.

Waeco has a good reputation for reliability - I had a Waeco monitor & camera on my 2005 Hobby and that was problem-free for 9 years and my 2015 Rapido has a Waeco camera that’s been OK (so far!).

(£700 for replacing just the camera seems a helluva lot, as complete Waeco systems with twin-lens camera, monitor and cabling are advertised for around £800.)

I’m uncertain whether a wireless twin-lens rear/view reversing camera is marketed, and a single-lens wireless camera would need to be provided with a 12V feed from somewhere if you wanted the camera to provide a continuous rear view. (For reversing-only 12V power could come from the motorhome’s reversing light.)

As you have a new expensive Waeco camera and (hopefully) the cabling from the camera going to the cab is now OK, wouldn’t you be better just replacing the monitor (assuming that’s where the current problems you’ve mentioned lie). After all, if you junk all the present equipment and fit a wireless system instead, there’s no certainty that this would prove long-term reliable.

Thank you both. Derek, the Adria is a Sport 690SL.

I agree the cost was ridiculous for the new camera which is identical to the old one especially as it hasn't solved the problem. I won't be going back to this workshop again!

After the problem remained with the new camera a lot of time was spent investigating and the outcome was that it was said to be a wiring issue which is what I suspected from the beginning. It was reported as fixed and for a while it did seem better, though with lockdown it hasn't had much use until now, and it is no better, and worse in that the reversing picture now fails which it never did before.

After about an hour or so the display starts to flicker, the picture "ghosts" and then dies. Bumps don't appear to have any affect. Turning off the system at the monitor and then on again restores the picture but it will fail again, and on a long journey does so repeatedly. What is more concerning is that intermittently now the reversing picture goes. Luckily I fitted a reversing sensors over the winter.

The only original part remaining is the display (and the wiring) so maybe substituting a new display might work and prove the integrity if the wiring, but that seems expensive just to check out the wiring.

I know these intermittent faults are incredibly hard to pin down which is why I thought a wireless system would be a better solution. I haven't investigated a dual camera system yet, but I am reluctant to give up the dual facility.

Dick

I have Waeco dual lens system on a 2012 van and have had similar problems. I tracked down the problem to a splitter box on the cab end of the cable. This splits the feed into two video signals to the monitor. By jiggling the connectors, especially the connectors on the pcb in the box the symptoms were cured for long periods. I have heard that this is a known problem. I have not tracked down replacement units yet.

Many thanks for the info. Great to know that there is definitely something that is suspect which can be checked. My van is a 2013 Ducato so similar vintage to yours. Where is this splitter box? I haven't yet tried to dismantle anything, but I assume access is from below the dash panel?

Any further advice would be much appreciated.

Dick

It is near to the monitor and mine was tangled in the cables behind the dash. It is a black box about 1.5" × 2" with the camera cable in and two cables which connect to two other cables from the monitor. There is also a cable from the reversing light. You just have to trace back from the rear of the monitor.

Good luck.

Thanks again. I am currently travelling so have only had a quick look. The cable from the monitor disappears down the side of the dashboard between it and the side of the windscreen trim by the driver's door. I have yet to find where it goes but will spend some time on it when I get home. Fingers crossed I will get to the box.

Dick

Try contacting Conrad Anderson. They have a long association with Dometic/Waeco, and I have found them extremely helpful in the past. I think the splitter connector referred to above is a good possibility, and I have had one replaced through Conrad's to good effect. If you describe the system as you presently have it, and the fault, they will probably know better than anyone what is up. Their technical man was Andy Perks, but I don't know if he is still with them.

Many thanks Brian for the contact. I am not impressed with the standard motorhome service establishments when it comes to elusive electrical problems.

I have managed to partially get under the dashboard panels and work at the cables. However, the gap between the dashboard and the windscreen trim is too small to get the cable either fully down or up until I get home and improve access. However, by working at the cables I have had a full journey without any failure which is a definite improvement. It seems pretty definite this area is where the problem lies so I will get down to a serious look this week. I noted in the Waeco installation manual that all connectors should be taped, but none of mine are, so I suspect the connector in question has worked loose.

I will report back.

Dick

The tape is to keep atmospheric moisture away from the contacts, in an attempt to eliminate corrosion, not to stabilise the connections. But I seem to remember that the "splitter" had some electronics in it.

Don't be put off by the absence of Waeco/Dometic items on their website - they're in the midst of transferring to a new website and haven't done the Dometic stuff yet!

Apparently Andy has left Conrad's to set up on his own, but if Conrad's can't help you and think Andy can, they say they'll give you his contact details - which I thought a generous offer.

Allowing motorhome repairers to sort this sort of problem can be time-consuming and thus expensive as the OP found out.

Suppliers such as parkingcameras.com can supply a long cable complete with end fittings for about £20. If you run this uninstalled, just loose between the camera and the monitor you would know if it is a cable problem or not. If a cable problem then OK you just happen to have a spare cable ready to install!

If you have a two-camera system then swapping over the connections of the camera will usually show if one camera is failing or if one cable is failing.

I am experiencing a similar problem but are having trouble locating the ends of fly leads from the monitor and camera.

Archived