Reversing camera wiring

baden87

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
baden87 - 2014-06-24 3:27 PM

Hi I'm after a wiring diagram to wire reversing camera monitor so that i can switch between" on when reversing" and "on permanently " any ideas would be gratefully received

Mine is wired as when reverse is selected the 'Mirror' rear view camera display's reversing mode, when I select any forward gear display becomes rear view, sorry no wiring diagram my camera's are dual, my previous Rapido had one camera, one AVI cable. one display unit and it did exactly what your looking for...Im sure the Manufacturer of your equipment would be able to advise

Paul, If you already have the monitor and camera it would help if you gave some details of the make and model. If it is a standard reversing kit supplied with a motorhome again the make and model of the motorhome would also help.

Most modern monitors have 2 power feeds. One is usually called a trigger wire. When the trigger wire is connected to a 12V power source the monitor will either power up or change channels. This power source is usually derived from the vehicle reverse switch. So when you select reverse gear the monitor shows the camera image.

I am not sure from your post if you are requesting a wiring diagram for the monitor or the base vehicle. If the later then details of the vehicle are required.

Why make it so complicated ,I have the monitor plugged into the cig lighter on the dash via a dual socket (the other being for the Sat Nav).just use the monitors on/off button when required and the camera power is wired directly off the rear lights via a inline fuse.Just need to turn the side lights on as and when required to see whats going on behind.

Brian

BKen1 - 2014-06-25 4:06 PM

Why make it so complicated ,I have the monitor plugged into the cig lighter on the dash via a dual socket (the other being for the Sat Nav).just use the monitors on/off button when required and the camera power is wired directly off the rear lights via a inline fuse.Just need to turn the side lights on as and when required to see whats going on behind.

Brian

Sorry Brian some of us don't like leads hanging out all over the dash. I fitted a double din stereo with satnav and my cameras feed into that. I've just ordered a 12v to USB power supply so I can permanently wire my dash cam to avoid plugging into the cigar socket.

Thanks but i really would like to wire it up so that it has a switch an "on off on" switch to be precise

so that under switch condition (on 1)is normal i.e. comes on when selecting reverse

and under switch condition (on2) it is on all the time so when driving forward i can check behind if needed

hope this makes sense??

As you have described get yourself a SPDT (Single Pole, Double Throw) switch with centre off.

Wire from reverse lights to position 1 on switch.

Wire from ignition live to position 2 on switch.

Common on switch to camera live input.

Camera negative hard wired to ground.

Job done!

Keith.

Sorry but if you can't understand what I suggested and simply substitute the word 'Monitor' for 'Camera' then I really have to ask have you the ability to safely accomplish this task?

So adding in ips note about live and trigger feeds to monitor...

Wire from reverse lights to position 1 on switch.

Wire from ignition live to position 2 on switch.

Common on switch to MONITOR TRIGGER input.

Ignition live to MONITOR main live feed

MONITOR negative hard wired to ground.

baden87 - 2014-06-25 10:44 PM

Thanks for that but it's the monitor that I want the switch on , I intend wiring the camera to 12volt on with ignition

Sorry if I wasn't very clear

This is a strange way to wire the system. As yet we have no information on the type/make of the component parts.

Most monitors have an On/Off switch on the front facia. Why would you wire the camera to the ignition? It will be on all the time you are driving but you intend to only switch the monitor on when you want to view the images!

I always advise customers to think carefully about their DIY mods. If there are wires all over the dashboard it will seriously reduce the resale value of the vehicle. A potential buyer will wonder what other "fixes" have been done that are hidden.

BKen1 - 2014-06-25 4:06 PM

Brian

You will have to explain to me why this is less complicated.

What is complicated about using the same cable between the camera and the monitor to carry the video signal and the power?

Before connecting additional items to the sidelight circuit you would have to confirm the lights are not part of the vehicle CAN Bus system.

Having to turn on the sidelights when I reverse and have the camera continually On when driving in the dark or reduced visibility - not for me.

We have just had brilliant service from Parkingcamerasuk.com. We needed a new camera only and ordered it plus a small extension cable. When it arrived we realised that we needed the cable to have 2 male ends due to the wiring to the monitor that was already in the van. I phoned them and returned the cable plus our old camera on Monday and today the altered cable has arrived and is working fine. I would just like to publicy thank the Company for their excellent service.

baden87 - 2014-06-26 10:21 AM

ok thanks maybe I'm not wiring it up the best way it was just an idea

so whats the best way to do it folks ?

Lets start by looking at the monitor. What wires come out or the monitor? And what type of connectors are on these wires?

Some rear-view camera systems have the capability of providing a continuous on-demand, or an automatic when-reversing, picture, but whether a system has such a capability, or how that capability is implemented, depends on the particular system involved. In some cases merely pressing the 'Power On' button will override the automatic when-reversing feature; in other cases 'programming' of the system is required. If a system lacks the above-mentioned option, it may be impracticable to modify it.

I want my (Waeco) system to provide a continuous rear-view while the motorhome is being driven, so I've just wired the monitor into an ignition-controlled 12V power-source. Then, when I start the vehicle's motor, the system becomes operative and, when I stop the motor, the system turns off.

As AliB has suggested earlier, until you are able to provide details of the make/model of your rear-view system's monitor, there's little chance of anyone providing any useful detail on possible wiring requirements.

Personally, I think you are on a loser with this - you'll need to accept that your system can be switched on continuously OR switched on automatically when the motorhome reverses, but I don't think you'll be able to obtain BOTH capabilities.

Archived