Road Side assistance and Nationwide FlexPlus account

BruceM

This is just a heads up to anyone like myself who makes use of the paid-for Nationwide FlexPlus bank account to provide Motorhome breakdown assistance, travel insurance etc.

You’ll most probably have received a communication outlining the changes they are making to the FlexPlus account benefits.

They key ones (from my perspective) appear to be that ;

1. They will no longer be paying interest (currently 3%) on balances of up to £2,500 . This will effectively increase the gross cost of the account from £63 per year to £136 per year.

2. Road side assistance insurance appears unchanged.

3. Mobile phone insurance excess has been increased.

4. There are numerous changes to the Travel/Medical cover – mostly fine detail. Anyone 70+ is required to pay extra which is probably as before and cover is still limited to trips of 31 days.

5. The removal of transaction fees when using debit cards abroad.

Consequently, some of you may want to review the arithmetic that persuaded you to pay for this bank account. Our original primary reason was the pan European breakdown cover on all our vehicles, at the time it seemed the cheapest way to cover both the motorhome and car. That may still be the case, although it does irk to see the effective price jump so much.

As an 80 yr old and my wife soon to be 84 we thought that is it! but doing some sums we realised for us its still a good deal. 2 vehicles covered for breakdown, plus trailer if you have one, travel insurance especially as not many insurers cover our age group travelling abroad,and if they do the cost is astronomic.also the money we leave in Nationwide to get the interest can be used elsewhere to get some payment towards the new costing.so not too bad, fesspark

Archived