Road conditions

Don Madge

Morning all, Have you noticed how many more ruts in the main roads/motorways there seem to be these days. Motorhomes with their narrower axle widths - don't fit the ruts properly. There are some scary big ruts about in this area, there are quite a few places that my Timberland rocks about like an ocean liner when dropping back to lane 1. Sometimes when trying to pull out, nothing seems to happen when you steer then it lurches out of the rut suddenly, now that is scary. I hate to think how inexperienced drivers manage in the wet weather. On motorways the members of the "Second Lane Owners Club" don't have a problem as they never use the left hand lane. I did think about joining the club, but old habits die hard. Safe travelling Don

:-D Hi Don Madge. We have the same problem with RV's and it can actually be worse. The front wheels just don't fit the same path as the juggernauts. 8-) I used to read on the US forums about what they need to stop their RV's from wandering around? They spend thousands of dollars trying to cure the problem. Having now driven over there. It is not a problem with the RV's steering. But the same cause as here. Bad road ruts. *-)

Don, The ruts, etc., are why so many car drivers do belong to the second lane only club! Much better to introduce the German system here whereby trucks over 7.5 tonnes are restricted to the inside lane only between ceratin hours (either about 6:30 to 20:00 or am and pm rush hours only. It won't delay the trucks as they are all governed to almost the same speed anyway, and it means, on 3-lane roads, other vehicles have a genuine choice of two lanes. But if you want to see ruts - go to Poland. Some were so deep, it was difficult to see over the edge when standing in them!

[QUOTE]Don Madge - 2006-07-10 2:06 PM I never had that problem in Poland, but I'm a bit taller than you Mel :-D Don[/QUOTE] I can confirm, Mel belongs to the short house club and now has a motorhome to suit! (Sorry)

Archived